You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I Don't Like That House

Real Ghost Stories

I Don't Like That House

 

Good Morning YGS. I have been a long time lurker on this website and thought it was about time I posted one of my stories. First of all, I would like to point out I used to host paranormal investigations. I am a very logical person and I also am not religious. Also this tale is long. I do apologize.

I think for my first story I should start from the preliminary moment that I can remember from my interactions with the unknown. I was born, and have lived, in Australia my entire to current life (I am 24 years of age and male). My father, being in the Air Force, my mother and two sisters found ourselves moving quite often. After a 20 year stint my father decided it was time to spend as much time with his family as possible and settle down to one location. So we moved from the military housing in Victoria up to a small town: Maryborough, Queensland.

It was my 5th birthday when we arrived at my Nana and Granddad's house. We were to live there until Mum and Dad found a property to buy. This house was odd from the start. Both my two older sisters (S & C) and I did not like it from the word go. The house was large and around 70 years old. My great-grandfather had it built originally. Being young, the three of us kids shared a room. I was 5, C was 8 and S was 10. (It was a big room, able to fit 3 single beds and plenty of space between).

Now there was a cupboard in the room and we all constantly saw a shadow of a person on it, moving back and forwards. The oddest part being was always heard bells when we saw it. That was the least of what happened. We ended up living there for 4 years, and during that time the events escalated.

Other odd event such as my sisters and I have re-occurring identical dreams with slight differences (the positions swapped). Also hearing what could only sound like a dog chewing a bone under our beds, but only one bed at a time. We would call out, Granddad would just tell us it was ants and spray under our beds but to no avail. We always heard whispers in our ears and our names being called even in broad daylight, the worse being screams. Sometimes even our feet were tickled (as a ritual, to this day I cover my ears and feet when I sleep, more a habit now). I have monologue too long, to the meat and potatoes of this story then.

My parents finally found a house and we were to move out within a month. I was nearly 9 at the time and enjoyed reading. One night my oldest sister, S, was at one of her friends' houses and C was fast asleep. I was awake sitting cross-legged on my bed, my lower half covered in sheets and reading a book with a small lamp on. The lamp went out suddenly. I heard the tell tail sound of the "bone chewing" under my bed. The milky glow of the night filled the room with a dull light. I cleared my throat and the chewing stopped. My blanket was hanging over the bed slightly and it started to go taut as though it was being pulled. Thus began a horrifying game of Tug-O-War. It went on for a while and finally the blanket was released and just when I thought it was over, I heard a low rumble, then a dark grey hand (I would say larger than a grown man's hand) reached out at an agonizingly slow rate and grabbed anew a handful of blanket. Like a flash my entire blanket was swept off the bed to go underneath.

I jumped up on my bed and sprinted to the door, reefing it open and crying out to my Mum and Dad. They told me it was just a nightmare. I am absolutely sure you all know that old explanation. As they walked me back to the room, my sister C was still asleep and behold! No bed sheet on my bed. Dad leant down and proceeded to pull my bed sheet out from under the bed. I refused to sleep in that room again. Please post me any questions about anything I may have missed out.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers Muchly

Loch

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LochKalten, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

virulentpeach (12 stories) (40 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-08-07)
Question about the shadow and the bells. Was it a shadow in the reflection of the glass of the cupboard, or was it a shadow that was like a person was standing in front of the cupboard who was obscured? What did the bells sound like -- like a dinner bell? Like a clock? Or church bells?

I was hoping for a more detailed description of that all to try to make sense of it.
M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-03)
AzrealX; I think you are being far too skeptical about this. He clearly noted that these cases happened many times to several individuals. It's a bit too coincidental that all of them experienced the exact same circumstances you've suggested.

This, coming from an individual who has a healthy skepticism to them as well. However, I think you're going a bit overboard with it.

'Perhaps' you are being too skeptical. I entirely understand the need to logically explain incidences like these. However, it is becomes illogical when one attempts to explain incidences that are otherwise unexplainable by shooting off speculation in every which way.
forestspiret101 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-08)
WOW THATS SCARYER THAN MY PAZEST MAPLEADOLL! DO YOU STILL LIVE IN THAT HOUSE & HOW OFTEN DID IT HAPPEN?
😕
Bejek (10 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-03-05)
It sounds like some of the events described is just the symptoms of children over reacting to perfectly reasonable and explainable things. Add in siblings all around the same age that can "verify" or make make matters worse and it's pretty easy to see what's going on. Memories have a weird way of changing as we get older and it's reasonable to assume these memories in the story could have become more dramatic then what actually happened.

Shadows in a closet, room or cabinet could be just that. The same goes for sounds. Further it sounds like the house was rather old, house suffer from a large amount of problems, especially older houses. They can eject a large amount of weird sounds and effects as well. Heck, I could even almost accept your grandfathers explanations of vermin in the floors chewing on the house.
LochKalten (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
Good Morning, and sorry for the late reply.

Spiritwaiting: My grandparents sold the house when I was around 17 years old and I had visited it a couple of times and only during the day time for family get togethers, I never had to sleep there again as the property and house my parents built was literally a 5 minute drive from the house. My sisters and I have driven past the place a couple of times but nothing noteworthy to say.

AzraelX: As HappySpirit reiterates and that I specified It was my 2 sisters an myself experiencing it even down to the shadow on the cupboard. We would sit on the furthest bed together and watch it. At the time of the events It was between the ages of 5 up to 9 years old for myself, and my sisters are 3 years and 5 years older than myself, so It was not just our imaginations.

HappySpirit: No trauma in my family to note, and it was a rather happy household, Just not for us 3 kids. As for who used the room before us? My great grandfather built the house and it was a share room for my Grandad and his brothers. My grandad ended up owning the house as the others moved away.

RedWolf: No Psychic connections as far as we know, and as for the Tug of war, it was just my blanket I was sleeping under, it was just a thin sheet blanket (living in Australia is warm). My sister did sleep through the whole mess until I ran out of the room, she said she did not hear or see anything after she woke. As for the 4 years for a house? My parents did not have a lot of money after my dad left the Air Force he had to take up 2 jobs. My mother had trouble finding a Job for a while so within the first 2 years we had no money, As my parents started saving up they decided to buy some land and build a house (all the while paying for 3 children through school and other expenses) They did a lot of research and applied for a few properties and finally got one. 4 acres of bush land, (very thick scrub) and as specified we had not enough money to pay for landscaping services as well as the property and a builder in the future, so my parents and my grandparents went every weekend for a long time to clean it up, (cutting down trees and clearing appropriate space) there was a full year break after clearing the land before the house started getting built.
Thank you all for the questions.
Cheers
Loch
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-01)
LochKalten
I have the same question spiritwaiting asked and I have some of my own.
Aside from having the same recurring dream with your sisters when you were younger did you all have a psychic connection, if yes do you still have one? I know that it's usually only identical twins that have this but I've heard that close knit siblings can also have this connection.
I seriously need to question your "tug of war" with the unseen being until it began again and a very large dark grey hand grabbed your blanket. You say that your father pulled the bed sheet out from under the bed Do you mean blanket or was the top sheet taken as well? Your sister slept through this?
Why did it take your parents four years to find a house? I could see maybe a year to a year and a half to build up the needed finances but not four.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-28)
AzraelX - it is always good to look for logical, rational explanations, but Lochkalten used the word "we" when describing the shadow man, bells, and chew bones. In other words, his sisters also experienced these events, giving more credence to the possibility that it was a true, paranormal experience and not just optical illusions or auditory problems on the part of one person. And, the whole episode with the sheet is a bit strange. I'm wondering if there were any traumas in the family - just a thought. I suspect that many paranormal events are caused by a build-up of negative thought energy in an environment. Lochkalten - do you know who used that room before you and your sisters?
lawluck1 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-27)
I have heard my name called laughing breathing and sometimes a almost mocking chuckle but have thankfully never seen a ghost I have always chocked it up to imagination.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-02-24)
1st. Shadow of man on the cupboard door. Could it be that it was a reflection of something outside or away from the door? Could you tell what were the movable objects that were there in the vicinity of 10 Mtrs. Of the cupboard door? Perhaps the moving image was an illusion- a trick played on your mind by your own brain.

2nd. Dreams are based on actual events or information. Perhaps both your sister and you had similar inputs of event/information that formed the basis of your similar dreams.

3rd. Regarding the events of you hearing something chew bones under your bed. Perhaps you have a issue with your ear. An audio sensory issue. Which perhaps reduced as you grew up. Perhaps getting your ear checked could find out whether it is still present.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
Lochkalten, since you have grown older, have you ever gone back to visit your grandparents at this home? If so did you get the same odd feelings when you visited? And. Have you ever asked your grandparents about the land they built the home on? Great story and welcome to YGS.

Sincerely Spiritwaiting

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: