You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Rental House?

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Rental House?

 

I am 16 years old and am from NE Ohio. Over the last 6 years I have had many ghost experiences which I would like to share but get some other thoughts on.

My first experience, from what I remember, happened when I was 10 years old. I had moved for my first time and was not liking it. We moved to Sandusky, Ohio. The first time going into the house was weird for me. I thought since I didn't like the thought of moving, it was just me.

A few weeks of being settled in strange events occurred. I would play in my bedroom and my bedroom door would slam shut and my mom would have to slam it open. Strange part was, they were all new doors and no locks on the doors. Then it got even more weird. Every time I would take a shower, the bathroom door would open and close and I would see a shadow as if someone was there, but when I looked no one was.

I was so petrified of showering that I would make my mom sit in the bathroom while I showered. She started noticing some things also, hearing weird noises, things getting moved around, etc. My dad thought since my mom and I moved, we were just over thinking things and didn't like it. He didn't believe in ghosts.

So, one night my dad was at work and I was in the computer room and my mom in the kitchen. I had got the weirdest feeling and the coldest feeling that someone was watching me that I just ran out of the room. As I ran out the room to the hallway, it was like someone had tripped me and I went airborne. My mom had came out when she heard me running and had seen the whole thing and couldn't believe it. Without me saying anything she said, "It looked like someone tripped you." She and I were in shock of the whole thing. When we tried telling my dad, he just wouldn't believe us.

My mom and I stayed at a family member's one weekend and my Dad stayed behind for work. He was also in the computer room and got the weirdest feeling and cold chill. Then he heard something in the living room, like somebody came through the front door. When he went out to check there was no one there and the door was locked. He went back on the computer and got so cold that he could see his breath. Since it was winter he thought the heater broke so, he checked the heater and it was on and running. He went to go back to the computer room again and heard loud talking behind him, as he turned around no one was there. He checked outside and it not a soul around. At that time, my dad didn't share his experience with us.

The house was for sale so we had to move. One day the landlord called to ask to show the house and asked if we could leave for the time being. My dad was on the phone and my mom almost asleep on the couch. The TV volume raised higher and higher. He looked to find the TV remote it was ontop of the TV... So no one could have touched it. The TV was so loud he asked to call the landlord back to find out what was going on, so he hung up and the TV volume lowered way down.

When it was time to move out, my friend and I said our goodbyes at my house. She was helping me pack. When it was time to leave I only had my TV left so I unplugged it. As she went to help me grab it, it turned on for a good 30 seconds and then off. Since it was unplugged, as a 10 year she was the first to run and I was right beside her.

When we finally pulled off in the U-haul my Dad decided to share his experience with us, and finally believed us.

This is one of many stories I have. I don't know why for a 16 year old I have experiences that occur to me usually, so I decided to come to this site to hear some insight from others.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, missy5144, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

halloween (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-09)
Missy5144, you may have a special talent that attracts spirits and ghosts. Please learn about ways to protect yourself from the evil entities, surround yourself with the white light of the holy spirit. And give us some more of your stories will ya!
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-08)
It is possible for spirits to manipulate electrical equipment. Phones,tvs,radios,etc. I wouldn't debunk as long as their is no history of these things malfunctioning before. I agree with bejek on the doors. Although older homes were usually built with the heavier doors, unlike the newer homes now. When you saw the shadow, and also after, did you start feeling uncomfortable being alone? Or scared being in certain parts of the house? [at] Bejek, are you going to post any experiences on here for any of us to. Read and comment on? I would appreciate that a lot.
forestspiret101 (4 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-03-08)
COOL STORY❤. MY DAD DOSENT BELIVE IN GHOST OR LIMBO OR PARANORMAL THINGS 😢
Bejek (10 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
I didn't explain some things because they are either hard to explain, unlikely or I outright don't believe them. And I didn't feel like saying that. I don't believe in spirits making phone calls.

People can have audio halunations and it's not unheard of having phone lines crossed, he'll it happened to me last year.

Memories have a tendency to fade as people age and things can be remembered more fondly or even much worse then they actually ever were.

Be that as it may, even during a legit haunting stuff can occur that are perfectly not hauntings.
basilisk193 (35 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
I won't deny what Bejek said. He haven't fully explained the experiences of missy5144's father though, the voices and the phone call.
The way this story was told suggests that if a spirit did exist, the landlord would probably know, and this spirit was more hostile to the landlord than to your family.
In folklore, many spirits can cause bad luck. A certain event, such as the TV turned on after unplugged, could really be due to the charged-up capacitor. But it also can be explained as while the spirit isn't powerful enough to power the TV itself, it has learned how to release the charged-up capacitor at will. We can't really know for sure.
Bejek (10 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
There's things that can be explained here. I've seen doors open and close due to the house being unlevel which can happen for a variety of reasons. Even things such as breezes and wind can easily effect doors. Most newer doors tend to be cheap junk that are hallow on the inside, so unless someone specifically spent the extra money to buy heavy duty, solid doors, it's entirely possible outside influences could effect the door. My sister used to have the bathroom door open on her from time to time, if you didn't slam the bathroom door shut it was prone to that.

As for being difficult to open, you can blame the house again, if doors aren't hung perfectly of the doorframe is damaged it can cause all sorts of problems.

Drafts are easily explained through all sorts of things, from windows, to wall spaces to bad insulation. Coldness has a weird way of penetrating walls and creating cold spots.

Depending on the TV, that's all explainable too. Capacitors in the TV set hold a charge for a bit and keep a charge while plugged in. You can actually kill yourself from touching charged capacitors, even after turning off a monitor or TV and unplugging it. Older capacitors can hold charges for hours. Which also could be how the TV turned on.

Older remotes were imperfect at best and TV sets were and still are openly effected by series of frequencies and wavelengths. There's been documented cases where someone driving by with a cellphone has messed with TVs and their settings, anywhere from turning them on and off, to messing with channels and volume.

As for tripping? People can be accident prone, I've seen people trip over their own feet.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-25)
This is very fascinating. Doesn't sound like anything malicious, but it does sound rather freaky!

Please share your other stories with us. I look forward to reading them!
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-24)
I feel that the tripping incidence was real tripping on something and shouldn't be attributed as paranormal.

But the residual audio visual events could be real.
Don't mix the two.
Secondly, research the history of the building, of its past owners.

Is the residual audio & visual events of paranormal origin, actually malicious or of harm to you?
Unless, they are, let them be.
They could just be recordings of events in the past. Not harmful to anyone.

Don't simply so a stupid cleaning power ball thingy just because someone advices you.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
Missy5144, Residual is what this could have been, and tvs tend to do that because of built up electricity. The airborne incident is truly terrifying! For this prankster of a spirit to do this is something else. The doors slammimg shut could have been from a draft of another door sucking it shut. I don't doubt your story one bit. Being 10 years old and having those experiences is quite scary. And welcome to YGS, hope you share any other stories you have.
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
Hey.

Welcome to YGS. I just wanted to say that some of the stuff, like moving things and noises, sounds more like a poltergeist but as far as the tripping and such I'm not to sure.

Ill let you know if I come across anything that may help you out at all.

Peace
CuriousGuy

Also, have you experienced similar things since moving?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: