You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: That Thing In The Yard

Real Ghost Stories

That Thing In The Yard

 

When I was about ten years old, my parents, brother, and I moved into a new house development (new suburbs). What you're probably thinking is, "The house isn't old, it's got to be spirit free." I must say, that house is freaky. The front door rattles and creaks, creepy shadows in places where they shouldn't be, feelings of being watched (the works). I usually try to be skeptic, but there are really some things I can't explain, and I don't think its fair to chalk everything up to the usual "being sleepy" and the usual excuses. So without further ado, here is my first written recalling of the odd things that have happened in that house.

It was a warm, clear summer night. I couldn't sleep because the air conditioner wasn't working (and it was 100F+ outside) and I really hadn't done anything at all during the day. I tried sleeping for the longest time, and realized that was something that wasn't going to happen. So I did the reasonable thing any 10 year old would do: go watch cartoons in the living room. I walk down the hallway and into the living room, very much awake, and drenched in sweat, and begin feeling the wall for the fan light. That's when I noticed a light in shining through the window. There had been recent break-ins in the neighborhood, but they were on the rich side of the neighborhood, whereas my house was this tiny little overpriced one-story (why any criminal would want to break in to my place when only 5 blocks away is a massive 1 million $ two-story who I am sure were on vacation. I went through my options: 1. Stand like an idiot and scream 2. Go wake up my dad 3. Be the heroine, take up a frying pan, and scare off the criminal. Being an avid detective story reader, and readily awaiting the moment of fame and triumph when catching a bad guy; and chose option three. So yes, I took a frying pan, crept towards the window, and opened the blinds...

Standing in the middle of my yard is a small (~5ft) figure. This is when it dawns on me that first off, that light is not a flashlight. That thing is a freaking, blue, glowing, ORB. I don't remember the skin color, or the clothing, but I can say the figure was thin enough that I could've fit my hands around its torso with my fingers touching each other, and its limbs were about half that circumference. At the time, what scared me the most was that the thing had no feet or fingers. All that over-zealous bravery drained from my soul. My instincts screamed at me to run, but I was transfixed in terror combined with an odd curiosity to identify it. It was like a bad horror story. That was when it turned its head, which was really about the width of its torso, and in the shape of a lemon drop. The eyes didn't really have color, but they were reflective. We make eye contact, and it stares for about 5 seconds. Suddenly, there's this flash of light and its gone. I turned on all the lights and proceeded to watch Spongebob.

There were multiple footprints in the yard in the morning, but this doesn't prove anything because my brother and I had played soccer out there the day before.

Any ideas as to what it was? Just curious, because this has freaked me out ever since, and if anyone has a rational explanation, I'd love to hear it.

Note: I was very very very AWAKE before this happened.

Edit: This is my first story, and my writing is horrid.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Iamnobody, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

gemini_syndrome (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-17)
What you saw really could've been a supernatural occurrence. Do you live near a mountain chain? Or do you live in a city or town with a lot of history? If so, what you saw may have been a spirit. You said it was holding an orb? It could have been a mother and her child. Or maybe something must more sinister. However, I wish you the best of luck and hope you don't have to go through another bone-chilling experience such as this one.
Happy Trails~ 😁
Iamnobody (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-05)
Sorry I haven't responded to anything here for a while, but I've been pretty busy, actually because I was moving out of the house (thank goodness).

First some clarification on the orb: I obviously didn't really proof-read this story too well, and forgot to add the sentence that this thing (alien as many are saying, and I must say I agree) was actually holding the orb. I don't know how I managed to skip that major detail. Sorry.

TheLightBeforeDawn, it was very textbook-strange as you put it. My parents actually believed I was making it up because it was so cliche.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-09)
... But hey now everyone, we don't want to judge this entity and stereotype, jumping to conclusions that this was an alien. If this was some sort of Sprite or Gnome, we don't want to hurt its feelings by assuming it was an alien... SMH
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-08)
Yes, that would seriously disturb me as well. I am not a massive believer in things extra terrestrial, well, I believe, but it isn't my field of interest so I don't study it. While you were describing this however, it had a very extra terrestrial feel about the thing...? Interesting. It was the part about it vanishing, also, that gave it that undertone for me. So, this thing had its own source of luminosity? And it was humanoid but not identifiably human? My guess would be either an extra terrestrial or an elemental. Ghosts usually retain some fragment of their humanity, be it a residual haunting or a conscious one... They tend to look or sound or behave in some way that while paranormal, is identifiably human... Somehow, your being didn't kind of smack of that vibe.
TheLightBeforeDawn (5 stories) (41 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-06)
Wow, what an encounter. I think I agree with the other comments, I think you may have witnessed an Alien. I'm not usually in for all the other life forms sort of thing, but that sounds like a your typical alien encounter. Bright lights, strange humanoid looking being, late at night... Pretty text book, if there was a text book for strange things.

Also, I would like to say that your writing isn't bad at all, and that you should keep going with it. I very firmly believe that practice makes perfect.

Goddess Bless, and do share more stories!
TLBD
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-06-06)
I don't see anything wrong with trying to make sense of what the writer saw. If it walks like a duck... Nobody can truly claim to be an expert on the unknown but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

That said - burglars are going to be less likely to break into the million dollar mansion because those usually have million dollar security systems;)
vasway4210 (16 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-06)
Lamnobody I'm sorry I can't offer any opinion on what you saw, but I wanted to address what Spockie said about not categorizing entities. Spockie, it's I our human nature to categorize and try to explain the unknown. I see nothing wrong with trying to determine what lamnobody saw or what any person sees. We have a curious nature to try and make sense of what we don't understand and no one should be criticized for that or told to simply ignore it.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-06-05)
I really wish people would not try to categorize spirits, since they can take on any form that they choose to take whether it be alien, monster or filmy wraith. And, just because a house is new with no previous occupants does not mean it or the property cannot be haunted. Sometimes spirits haunt people, not places. Sometimes they move around from place to place, sometimes they hang out in natural areas. If this spirit isn't causing harm or major problems, just ignore it.
randomassociate (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-05)
Wow that sounds really strange and creepy. It probably was an Alien... Really weird...
Andrewnator6 (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-05)
I'm with utkarsh once I saw what looked like a humanoid floating around in the. Unfortunately I couldn't really make out what it was because it just looked black and humanly
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-05)
I'm with BadJuuJuu,I'm not sure what you saw but it definitely was not an orb.Alien? Maybe but there are species of animal insects and fish that have been reported being seen every year that cryptozoologists can't keep up with all the unknown species on earth. One of these species are claimed to look like what you saw a humanoid type creature very thin. Don't get overly excited if you see this again, try to take a picture.
Regards
Redwolf
Thecreepyhappeningswithhaley (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-04)
I think it could have been an alien... An orb is usually round and smaller then what you were describing but what you described, sounded like it could have been an alien. 😕
utkarsh (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-04)
maybe its an alien... I seriously think so... Or maybe you shoul check out the previous land owners...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-04)
I'm not sure what you saw, but I am sure it wasn't an orb. Orbs are circular masses, they don't have heads or bodies, arms or legs. They're just balls of energy.
Not trying to be snarky, but just hoping to help you out a little with the terminology.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: