You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Weird Night At My Old House

Real Ghost Stories

Weird Night At My Old House

 

I'm not sure if this is a story of a paranormal experience but I was definitely a weird night at my old tiny house in Marengo, MI down the road from the 115 Truck Stop off exit 115 on I94. I lived there for a little over a year but 4 or 5 months after living there I had an unsettling experience. I knew the house was built sometime in the 1800's as there was a carving in a cabinet in the bathroom that said 1863 and a name I do not recall.

The basement of this house was very creepy, it had three rooms. The first room had a dirt floor and the water heater, the second room was cement and had the furnace and the third room had a door that was shut and locked with a piece of wire. The third room had tons of old full canning jars, an old wooden barrel, large ice fishing hooks and river waders. I always felt uneasy whenever I was down there. I always left the basement door open in the kitchen as I have two cats and I let them play down there and catch mice. Their two litter boxes were placed just inside the basement door at the top of the stairs.

One night I had got off work from FireKeepers Casino around 11pm and went straight home. I am a night owl so I was up late as usual but I was in bed about to go to sleep when this took place. All of a sudden I heard a loud crash and the sound of the basement door slamming.

I'll admit I was pretty freaked out but I got the courage to get up and go to the kitchen to see what had happened. Both of my cats were still upstairs which was really strange to me, the only way the cats could have closed the door was if they closed themselves in the basement as they couldn't have possibly shut the door behind them if you know what I mean.

I opened the basement door to discover one of the litter boxes had been flung down the basement stairs and that uneasy feeling of being watched came over me again. I did my best to clean it up as quickly as possible and decided to finish in the morning.

I closed the basement door and got back into bed, not even a minute after that I heard what sounded like a pack of coyotes howling impossibly loud. It sounded like they were right outside my front door (the room I used as my bedroom was a parlor and the front door was located in that room) this went on for about 2-3 minutes. By then I was about to jump out of my skin. I grabbed a few things and ran out to my car and went to my mom's for the night.

I'm not sure what really took place that night but it was just a very strange occurrence, nothing else ever took place while I lived there but the uneasy feelings in the basement.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shayleigh19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-06-25)
shayleigh,
There are actually coyotes in Michigan, and they will forage quite close to man. So, it's possible that you actually heard coyotes.
Basements, like the one you describe are not uncommon to old houses. Those odd rooms actually had purpose at one time. The dirt floor one, I bet had a window or some other type of opening to the outside (possibly covered over by now.) Those were traditionally the coal room, where the coal for heating was kept. The opening was the 'chute' the coal would be loaded through. The second room was traditionally the laundry room. You may have been able to see odd hooks in the walls about eye level. Clothes line was strung there, to use during the winter months (at least that's what I was told.) The 3rd, obviously storage, the then 'modern' root cellar. But, none of that explains the slamming of the cellar door. I'd suggest vibrations from heavy passing trucks, but then you would have experienced it more than the one time. And what about the tossed litter box? I can't think of something sensible to explain that. From your description, I gather the door opens inwards to the basement, not outwards into the room? Strange very strange.
lovelight78 (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-25)
That's crazy. You weren't able to locate where the howling came from? Did you still feel uneasy when you went back to finish cleaning the litter? Like you were being watched or anything. Older houses can be a hotbed of paranormal activity. BET YOUR GLAD YOU MOVED!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: