You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hitch Hiker Lady

Real Ghost Stories

Hitch Hiker Lady

 

In November of 2005, my then 2 month old daughter had come down with a common cold and had it for about 2 days and she wasn't feeling too well, so I went to sleep along side her at around 10:00 PM. I was worried about her and debated if I should take her to the hospital, the nearest one being about 30 miles away from where we live. But since she didn't have a fever and she appeared to be fine, I didn't want to waste a trip to ER and I just thought to wait it out and let the cold run its course.

Around after 12:00 at midnight, I woke up and she was very hot to the touch and she couldn't even cry because she was so weak. I had no thermometer and didn't take her temperature but she was hot enough to know that it could be dangerous for a child that young. I gave infant Tylenol to my baby before we left to see if that would help, but being a paranoid mother, I decided that we should still go to the hospital. I asked my sister to go with me and we left at around 12:30 am.

The wait at the hospital took hours, but I was also very relieved that her fever went down. I thought to just leave and go home because I was so tired, but I wanted to be sure she didn't have any other infection so we continued waiting for the doctor to see her.

By the time it was our turn, it was nearly 4:00 in the morning. She got checked and turned out everything was fine with my daughter and we left around 4:40 am.

As we were about into 20 minutes of driving home, I noticed a figure alongside the road. We were maybe about 50 feet away. I thought it might just be some livestock walking about because that isn't unusual around there. When I first saw it, I thought it was 2 cows standing beside one another, but as I got closer and the headlights shone more light on it, it was clearly a young woman standing there. Not just any common woman though. This woman was dressed in her finest, like she was going to a special event. The area where we live is on the Navajo Indian reservation and this woman appeared to be a young Navajo woman at around the age of her middle 20's. She was a wearing an ankle length skirt, a velveteen blouse, a turquoise necklace, and her shiny black hair was neatly combed back and tied into a Navajo style hair bun. She also wore a Pendleton shawl around her shoulders and she was pointing out her thumb indicating she was hitchhiking and wanted a lift. But this was so unusual! No one wears that style for no reason unless they're going somewhere that would require it and this was out in the middle of nowhere. It was dark, cold, in the middle of a long stretch of highway, at 5:00 am in such a formal attire. It was very strange.

So I slowed down a little and my sister and I got a good glimpse of her. It was kind of creepy and we didn't want to stop and pick her up so we drove past her. When we looked back she wasn't there. This really creeped both of us out and my heart started beating so hard and fast. I sped up so we could get home more quickly.

When we got home I told my mother about what we saw. She said in that area before it ever became a highway, there used to be a mother and daughter who lived there and the daughter had become very ill and she died at around the age of her mid 20's. She was buried within that area we saw the young woman hitch hiking. We believe it was her ghost that we saw. Since she died an untimely death so young, we believe her spirit still lurks around where she lived and where she was buried.

I never did believe in ghosts all that much but now I know they walk among us and at times we see them. After that incident my sister and I dubbed that area of highway "The Haunted Road".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Birdie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-10)
I am wondering if more people have become interested in the unexplained and that is why we hear more about these types of hauntings. It is like we collectively brought all of our camp fire stories into our dinner parties and it caused more people to think, yeah, that happened to me too. I am happy to hear there was nothing seriously wrong with your daughter. Thank you for your story.
babylon (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
creeeepy,i hate the thought of hitcher ghosts, I hate to think you might look in the rear view mirror after passing them and they are staring back at you. In your back seat. Great story thanks, and glad your little angel is ok 😊
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-15)
Interesting story. I have heard of many stories like this one and it always seems to be a woman too.
Thanks for sharing
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-14)
I echo Shanes interpretation. I am curious if they happen more now or if they are simpy reported more? That I suppose is another question we may never have the answer to.

God Bless!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
Hi Birdie! I'm glad your baby ended up being ok. I have children myself and it gets scary when they get high temperatures. As for the Indian girl hitchhiker, that is very spine tingling! There are a lot more reports of ghostly hitchhikers nowadays but they have always been around, especially on dark lonely roads. I liked your story and thanks for sharing it. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-13)
These types of hauntings are being reported more and more now a days. I wonder how many are actually residual hauntings and how many are intelligent ones? Questions I suppose we may never know the answers to.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: