You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Lost Hiker Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Lost Hiker Ghost?

 

My friend "Heather" and I have a problem that whenever we spend time together some paranormal event seems to happen. This is one of the stories from the summer I spent with her at her new place in Colorado enjoying the beauty of nature. I had done several hiking trails but they had all been rather busy and it was hard to really enjoy nature on them. A friend of Heather's "Mike" suggested we do a trail outside his home town, he said his town was in the middle of nowhere so we wouldn't have to deal with all the summer crowds at the parks and tourist spots. We all thought it sounded great so we packed up and headed out. We decided we were going to camp for a few days somewhere along the trail just to relax and take in nature, so all in all our trip should last about five days. On the trip were myself, Mike, and my friends "James" and "Heather".

After a day and a half of hiking we found a beautiful almost level clearing with a slope down one side that looked down on the forest below. You could tell by the old cans and the way logs and rocks were moved around in the area that this was an old camp site so we set up camp there for our couple days of relaxation in nature, too bad we never really got a chance to relax.

On our first night around 11pm we were sitting around the camp fire telling jokes, when Heather says "hey did you guys see that" and points down the slope at the tree line. We all turn and look but there was nothing there, I wasn't even sure what we were looking for. Heather said she just saw a light, and sure enough about that time a light like one from a flashlight starts shining through the trees, but it's moving rather quickly and is jumping up and down like someone is running with it in their hand. James jumps up and yells "Hello is someone there" down at it and the light immediately went off. Heather and I decide it would be smart to sleep in the boys' tent that night.

The next morning James and Mike went down the slope to see if there is another camp down their. When they come back they had with them an empty backpack they had found on a rock just behind the tree line. The backpack was weather worn and was literally falling apart. We all decided that we would stay their one more night and that we had nothing to worry about some camper had probably just forgotten their backpack a few years ago and the flashlight the night before was probably just another hiker. To this day I wish we hadn't stayed I still have nightmares of that night.

We were all having trouble sleeping so we stayed out by the camp fire really late into the night just talking and laughing. When Heather suddenly said "everyone be quiet do you hear that". So we all went quiet but none of us able hear anything, Heather's eyes were wide open and her face had gone pale in the fire light. I asked her what she heard and she said she could hear a woman crying, still none of us could hear it so we thought she was just pulling our chains. James and Mike start laughing and say things like good one and nice try, then we all heard it. Clear as can be the sound of a woman crying. James and Mike are both police officers so without hesitation they both jumped up and grabbed flashlights thinking they might be hearing a lost hiker. Heather and I both unable to move, something didn't seem right about the noise we were hearing.

James and Mike headed down the slope toward where the crying was coming from, as me and Heather sat trying to comfort each other. They had been gone for about ten minutes and we could hear them yelling "Hello please tell us where you are" then we heard both of them begin screaming and maybe two minutes later they both sprinted up the slope back to the camp site. Both of them were so out of breath they couldn't talk, and Mike started to throw-up in the bushes next to camp from over exertion. They both said hurry up we're leaving now and started taking down the tents. Heather and I didn't ask any questions, we were too scared to talk, we just packed everything we could and we started back down the trail in the middle of the night as quickly as possible. When the sun finally came up I got up the nerve to talk and asked James what had happened.

He said that Mike and him had followed the crying down into the trees; they couldn't find the person who was crying even though they had searched the area where the sound was the loudest. Then as they were about to come back to camp to call for help they passed the rock where they had found the back pack and next to it was a girl sitting with her head in her knees crying. He said it was weird because she was wearing a big red winter jacket and a black stocking cap but it was the middle of summer. They were about twenty feet away when James asked if she was alright did she need help. He said she stopped crying, pointed deeper into the forest then disappeared. This is when Mike and James screamed and ran back to camp.

At the time we were all so scared that we really didn't have time to think about things. We are all pretty sure that whatever it was, was trying to get us to go where it pointed. We've discussed going back there and trying to go the way it pointed, but we are unsure if it just wants us to find something or if it has bad intentions for us.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kellbellcutie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

angelus_crudus (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
Perhaps she got lost in the woods and was pointing to where her body is? Perhaps she wanted you guys to find her body so she could rest. I can't imagine being stuck the the woods somewhere as ghost for eternity, poor woman. Hope she finds peace.
stephenb23 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
Kellbellcutie - I'd like to plan a trip to the area. Please if at all possible, could you tell me exactly where you camped?

My email is stephen at carpfishingtips dot org
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
as codove 1 said...
Wow what a awesome story. I am from that area. 2 years ago they found a woman body in that area and she had been killed by her boyfriend something like 5 years prior. I am thinking they said she had a red coat by her bones when they found her body. Look in the Grand Junction paper its called the GJsentinel dot com look through the archives maybe 2 or 3 years ago you might find it.
Theres the anwser! Woop 😆
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-17)
interesting, I think that there are many things that you can do for that poor soul. Here are some ideas

1. Go back to the exact location and try 2 find remains, if you do you can give the girl a proper funeral.
2. If you don't want togo back just pray for her and hope that he joins her family and friends in heaven. 😊
3. Go back and talk to the spirit, and ask questions like what is your name, how old are you, stuff like that.

❤ May her soul rest in love and peace. ❤
melikas (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
😊 Kellbellcutie, I just want to say that the girl you saw was not evil. Put yourselves in the shoes of a person who is lost. She needs your help so try not to be scared. For this one you don't need protection.

All you need to do is
1: gather your wits about you and keep calm.
2: Tell the spirit you are not here to hurt you just want to help. Explain your sorrow for the situation.
3: Try to find the body, bones, remains that the spirit has lost. You could use dousing rods or dogs.
4: If you do or don't find it, it is important to "close the book" by saying a prayer for the unhappy soul and tell her that her troubles are over and to go to the light.

Also if you heard her cries then maybe she will tell you her name. You could use an evp recorder to find out. In this case, her name is important.
SwtNyx (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-15)
Wow scary! If it was me instead of you... I would have freaked out like anything!😨...Thanks for the story... Loved it! ❤
Chaos (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-15)
ok there are two possibilities here.

1: the child was wanting you to find something in that direction i.e. Her body or some clue to what happened there

2: she was trying to lure you to some location or "portal"

Though the first one seems more in tune with the events of what happened. Normally it is how it plays out that you find a article of clothing or a item of theirs then they show themselves to you and direct you to where some important event took place and has information about the event that lead to their most likely death.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Kalessehuine, you mention that this place was called a window and people who goes in dosn't always come out right? This to me sounds very much like a spirit portal.
Kellbellcutie, I pretty sure where your talking about. Thanks. This is somthing I will have people look into. I been to lots of places and got tons of information if you want to ask anything, e-mail me.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
If I were you I'd defiantly take people's advice here and check out where she was pointing, and you have to let us know what you find out!
Thanks for sharing. ❤
Kalessehuine (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
The description of what the ghost was wearing scared me so much until I re-read where you are. In the Green Mountains, around Bennington, Vermont, a woman wearing a red parka disappeared a long time ago. She was used to the area, and they found her body six months later, right where they had searched. This was only one in a string of extremely odd disappearances. They call the area a "window" area because people go in and never come out. My first thought was that she was pointing to where she popped out of the "window". I mean, probably not, but still, scary thought. You can easily look up the disappearances, just look for Green mountains vanishings. Sorry for the long post.:)
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
She may have just been trying to guide them to where her body was. Maybe if they had found her body, she would have been able to rest in peace sooner.
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
If that's the case she may just need someone to guide her over. Often when someone dies suddenly and violently the spirit is left shocked, disoriented, and confused. She's probly just looking for help.
codove1 (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Wow what a awesome story. I am from that area. 2 years ago they found a woman body in that area and she had been killed by her boyfriend something like 5 years prior. I am thinking they said she had a red coat by her bones when they found her body. Look in the Grand Junction paper its called the GJsentinel dot com look through the archives maybe 2 or 3 years ago you might find it.
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Of course, thinking better of it, if you did have a protective talisman I doubt the spirit (if it were hostile) would show up at all. Sorry, don't mean to spam the page.
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Collbran would be quite a trip for me but doable and completely worth it. Besides, its been a while since I've been able to put some real distance on my car. Whenever you have a more precise location, I'll definitely look into it. As for the stones I'd mentioned before, you'd be better off with a talisman, but again, I don't foresee any need for protective measures save for earthly ones, bears/other people.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Fascinating story, when you got to the backpack part I started to wonder, "What was inside of it?" Of crouse, we would possible never know... Why don't you research the area's history, and as everyone says, do some hunting and see if you can find her in any "Missing people" ads...

[at] liberty: Ah, when the crying was mentioned I thought, "Maybe a dreading woman over a lost baby? Or trying to keep calm with a baby?" So I had baby related thoughts also. Maybe she was carrying a baby?

[at] Kell: You should definantly go back, there's something there... But if you do not wish to, that is okay. ^^ Thanks for the story
kellbellcutie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
We were like an hour or so southeast of Collbran when we started on the trail. Mike would know better than me where exactly it is.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
If you had a description and sounds like you do down to the clothing, you could do some newpaper hunting and maybe find out who this woman is. I don't think you can go to the police with a story like this and expect them to go trudging through the woods after remains. I would think you would need much more evidence like finding the remains yourself, to get the police involved.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
For what it's worth, as I was reading your story the idea of a child or a baby popped into my head. Don't ask me why, it just did.

But why would anyone have a baby out on a hike in the winter?

Maybe she was, as LouSlips and others have suggested, the victim of a kidnap and murder.

My gut feeling is that you'll find SOMETHING if you go back, possibly more than you're expecting.

Please keep us posted!
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I practice a form of Shamanistic metaphysics. There are several methods or protection, but honestly the best form of protection is an experienced metaphysist in your group. A circle of sea salt around you camp will give you a safe zone to retreat to. I honestly don't think she'd be hostile though. Some practices recommend silver. Some perfer a cross while others perfer a pentegram. Trying to think of a good stone, but nothing comes to mind. Lemme get back to you on that.
kellbellcutie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I agree with all of you that she most likely wants us to find something, but just in case does anyone know of anyway to protect ourselves? I think that all of us are going to go back there in June, and I'm still scared silly of that place.
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I, too, would like to know the location. I live in Cheyenne, WY and would like to develop further as a medium. I may be able to communicate with her.
Saurian89 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
You could go and search the area and find
The hikers remains and give them a proper
Funeral. 😐
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Where was the location of this spot? I will reserch it with my helpers and see what I can come up with.
gothprincess149 (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I agree with everyone else on this one: you should research this area. She might have been kiddnaped or lost and then she died but her body was never found. Maybe type the location on the internet and maybe you will find something! ❤ 😊
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I am agreeing with LouSlips on this one. Anything could have happened to her and she probably was pointing to the area where her body is. Definitely try and have the area searched, you never know what may be found.
mgtor (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Maybe she wants to show you where her body is so her family can have piece. Like zoajet mentioned she might have been kidnapped or maybe she was hiking and had an accident and no one ever found her body. You should go back with a group of friends and find out what she wants to be discovered so she can rest. The flash light could have been her running and her ghost is replaying her last event. She might have been running from someone who caught her and killed her.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
She may have been kidnapped and killed near there. I say you and your friends should go and spend a few more nights there. Have protection also, and go to where she pointed. Even if it has bad intention still go because first hand, I reather find out what it wanted insted of always thinking what it could have wanted from you people. But its up to you, even so, give me the location and I may even search myself.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
kellbell,
The hiker could very well have been pointing to the location of her remains. Although I know many independent women, it is unlikely that she would venture out alone into a remote area unless she was very familiar with it. Although weather conditions and injuries could prevent someone from saving themselves, it is likely that she had an accident or was killed by someone or possibly was the victim of an animal attack. It does not sound like your law enforcement friends would want to return, but they do have a duty to be sure the area is searched.
Thank you for your submission.

Lou

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: