You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Harbinger

Real Ghost Stories

Harbinger

 

I've been reading the fascinating stories on this site for a while and finally decided it was time to share some of my stories. I have, for as long as I can remember, always had experiences with spirits. I grew up in a haunted house, and I will share those stories another day.

In December of 2006, I was a single mom of three kids, living in a low income housing development that I never really felt safe in. The locks on the doors weren't the best. One of my biggest fears was someone breaking in my house, especially in the middle of the night!

One night I woke up out of a dead sleep looking at what I thought was a man standing near the foot of my bed. It was dark but there was enough light coming in the window for me to see a red flannel plaid shirt and jeans. I jumped up, screaming, running at this person to do physical battle but just at that point, my son opened my door and asked what was wrong and the man was gone. This bothered me for a while, but with a hectic life, it wasn't long before those thoughts faded and were filed deep in my memory bank.

A few months later, at the end of March 2007, my father suddenly passed away. Soon after that, it somehow clicked in my head and I knew that this man had come to warn me of my father's death.

Fast forward to May 2010. We have moved and live in a new house. I'm at my daughter's soccer practice talking to my best friend. My son, who is home alone, calls me and tells me that he was laying on the couch in the living room watching TV. He heard someone coming down the stairs, which lead from the upstairs directly down into the living room. At this point, he's confused because he knows he is home by himself. He looked to see who was coming down the steps and he sees a figure with no head wearing a red plaid flannel shirt and jeans descending the steps and right before it gets to the bottom, it fades away.

Three weeks later, my best friend, who I was talking to at soccer practice, died. I never want to see whatever this thing is ever again. I've prayed to God that He keep it from me and my family.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Soccermom99, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-23)
Welcome back cosmo! 😉 You've been missed! ❤

Pardon the interruption, soccermom.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-02-23)
Hi Soccermom99,
I too am going to agree with the sighting of this apparition being a coincidence. Someone else had said he is probably a previous owner who just passes through from time to time which I also believe to be the case here. However I am firm believer if it ain't broke don't fix it. If this spirit is not harming, scaring, or making life in your home difficult then leave it be. If his presence is scaring you then you can try telling him that although you do not mind him being there to please not show himself anymore. I am very sorry for the loss of your Father and your friend. Hope everything works out for you. 😁
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-02-22)
Hi Soccermom99, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing. I think like Mack and Red, it is sheer coincidence and it has got nothing to do with the demise of your beloved father or your best friend. Because if something was there to warn you, then it should be about death that is going to happen in immediate future, not after a few months or three weeks. Those are too long periods of time.

Mack, fantastic, analysis. I tried to vote for you and it said, vote for someone else. You are right, death and birth are due processes of life and one should acknowledge them as they are.

Soccermom99, please take the advise of RedWolf and if you happen to see the headless apparition at home, please do talk to it and say that the house belongs to you and that you or your children don't need the intruder and you ask it to respect your space. Try to use the cleansing method, if necessary.

Red, great advise.

Be bold and positive.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-22)
Soccermom
I agree that a spirit coming several months before your father died is too long. Also his coming downstairs without a head had nothing to do with your friends death unless she was decapitated.
This man was either the original owner or the last owner. Tell him that he no longer lives there. Forcefully tell him it is your house now. If he doesn't leave or stay away use Rookdygins method of cleansing/shielding your house. It is on his profile page many members hs done this and swear by it. It takes several days to complete and you may have to repeat it but it does work.

Regards
Red
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-02-18)
Soccermom, I don't think that the 'few months' time span is close enough to connect your father's death with this man. I could be wrong, but in my opinion, you could look for anything within that time range and make just as valid a connection as this one.

Your friend's death is more closely timed with your son seeing the man, but it makes me wonder why he didn't show up for you again if he was trying to warn you. Especially given that she was your friend.

I wonder if he is just a harmless residual or even just a former resident peacefully checking up on things.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+5
8 years ago (2016-02-18)
Hi Soccormom

Thanks for sharing, very interesting. Hmmmm, I have to disagree with the previous posts on this one. On the one hand it would be nice if we had a loved one in spirit who wanted to manifest and warn us of impending disasters, calamities, or events that we were in actually mortal danger of.

I believe that these warnings actually happen on occasion; (I have experienced something like that in an experience I have just submitted.) However... The problem with THESE manifestations you have shared, for me, is that what has actually been achieved (judging by your description) is fear, terror and uncertainty.

To me, death is a natural part of life, as birth is and should be a natural process of the spirit departing the body when it's time (there are awful apparent, seemingly unfair from our point of view exceptions but for purposes of my argument I'll stick to the ideal here).
So I'm not sure on the logic of somebody (unidentified / unknown to you) wanting to let you know that a loved one is going to die soon. As I'm not sure on your the details of your fathers passing, but if it was reasonably natural, then why would anyone need a warning?

If they were warning you that the loved one was going to be killed in a freak accident and some details were given in order for you to "save' the person, that makes perfect sense to me.

However, an unrecognizable apparition in your room, in the middle of the night, at the foot of your bed would logically only achieve fear. And as Yeheladeth touched on, your poor son seeing a headless apparition stroll down the stairs is clearly neither pleasant or comforting.

I believe it's probably sheer coincidence that this apparition has been seen and then people have passed away. However, as you stated:
"...A few months later, at the end of March 2007, my father suddenly passed away. Soon after that, it somehow clicked in my head and I knew that this man had come to warn me of my father's death..." you have made a connection with the apparition and people passing away.

The problem with that is, if you or your son see it again, you will be gripped with fear and uncertainty as to who is going to die next? Not a good space to be in?

This entity may be a mischievous one that is deliberately trying to unsettle and upset you. Stay positive, give it no reason to hang around and feed off any fear it may create in you.

Rgards

Mack
Yheladeth (1 stories) (16 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-18)
I agree with spiritwaiting and rachelylala. I have heard a lot of stories about spirits showing up to prepare someone for the dead of a loved one, or even for difficult times in life. This spirit may be someone from your family that passed time ago, or just some kind of guide that comes to warn you and your family.

As long as it doesn't harm anyone I don't think you need to be scared, I know it is difficult anyway, having a beheaded figure coming down your stairs 😨

Thanks for sharing your story!

Yheladeth
rachelylala (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-18)
I agree with Spiritwaiting, this sounds like it may be a family member or departed loved one trying to prepare you for a difficult transition.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-18)
Soccermom,
From the sounds of it, I wouldn't be scared. This spirit may just be trying to prepare for what could be a difficult time, as far as losing your loved ones. You haven't said anything about it, trying to spook you or that you get any ill feelings from this spirit. So I wouldn't worry about the presence.

Thanks for sharing
Sincerely
Spiritwaiting

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: