You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: The Costume Maker

Real Ghost Stories

The Costume Maker

 

Growing up I moved a lot, my dad was in the Navy and 3 years was the longest we stayed in one spot. When I was 3, we moved to Monterey, Ca. Let me tell you, lots of strange things happened there all of which I remember like it was yesterday... Maybe I'll post some of those experiences later. This experience is something that I personally don't remember, but has been told to me by every member of my immediate family word for word, for years. My parents were there along with my biological sister; who is 10 1/2 years older than me; and my biological brother; who is 9 1/2 years older than me.

One day when I was about 4 years old, I was being an absolute brat, I was running around disobeying my parents and throwing fits, so my mom decided to put me in the corner. At first I whined and cried but eventually she got me to obey, and as soon as I did I fell asleep. Yes, standing with my nose against the corner I just conked out! Everyone just figured that I was being a brat because of how tired I was.

Within minutes of falling asleep, though, I woke up, turned around and told everyone I needed a bath. Well, at this point in life I hated bathing, so it took everyone by surprise that I wanted to take one. My mom told me "Joelle, turn around, you're in time out!" I told her I needed to take a bath and get ready for work. My mom again told me, "Joelle, stop messing around you're in time out. Turn around or you'll be in more trouble!" I asked her why she kept calling me 'Joelle' (Joelle IS my real name) that's not my name and I need to get ready for work. So my mom asked me where I worked and I told her that "I make costumes for little people." When I said this a chill ran down my mom's spine.

I fought with her for another few minutes before my mom got me to face the corner, at which point I fell asleep again. When I woke up a few minutes later and was allowed to leave time out my family asked me why I had done that. I had no idea what they were talking about; I didn't remember any of it.

The really weird part is that at 4 I couldn't talk very well, but everyone says I spoke very clearly and in an older females voice.

Other hauntings by jwhitfi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jwhitfi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-29)
That is really creepy. An ex-girlfriend of mine had a similar experience. When she was about the same age--3 or 4--he mother picked her up in the kitchen and my ex started thrashing around in her arms trying to get free. She looked directly at her mother, still in her arms and said in a deep voice, "Get your f---ing hands off me!" Her mom was terrified, dropped her to the ground and ran out of the house without her. This is very uncharacteristic of mothers and shows how scared she was. My ex girlfriend was too young to employ such an explitive, too.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
I don`t know if you believe in reincarnation or not but it sounds to me that you had a ''bleed over'' from a past life. Hey, if we believe in ghosts, then reincarnationn isn`t that far of a leap.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Hi, Great Creepy story, thanks for sharing it! I believe that when we are asleep it can open us to a psychic experiences. I don't know anything about kids, so I can't balance that against kids talking in thier sleep.

Two things that your story reminds me of:
My brother Gene used to sleep walk and talk too.

I had a roommate that was from an Indian Reservation and she would talk in her sleep. In waking hours she talked like a lady from the midwest, but watch out when she went to sleep! She talked like a gang-banger from east LA!

The line is foggy between sleep, dreams and psychic events. Maybe too related to tease apart?
jwhitfi (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
Thank you everyone for all of your comments. To be honest, I would love for it to simply be talking in my sleep. The possibility of a spirit taking control of body absolutely terrifies me, even now almost 2 decades later.

lian01, I posted my experience to see what others had to say about it, I am very open to suggestion so you post doesn't offend me at all. However, I don't talk in my sleep. Occasionally, I'll say something like go away or let me sleep or turn the light off, when people are trying to wake me up, but other than that I'm dead silent!

Annie...Wouldn't it be great if I worked on the Wizard of OZ?!? I agree that would've been a great expierience!
Again thank you again for all the posts!
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
You all really think so? My baby brother seems to sometimes become someone else. It's not always the same person. Sometimes he tells us things that come true. Is this sleep talking too?
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-20)
I like Annie's explaination and I am sticking to it. Follow the yellow brick road!

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Weird, something seemed to have gotten into you and spoke through you? Do you know anything of the history of the house? Thank you for sharing, God bless...
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
Too much TV watching can mess with a kid's mind. My son says interesting things when he's asleep, like he's involved in some action packed dream. When I'm around my young nieces and nephews, they literally speak along with the cartoons they are seeing, they know all the words to them already from having seen them repeatedly. Sounds like this experience was something along this direction.
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
You may not like what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway! I think you were simply talking in your sleep. I do it ALL the time. Sometimes it's just mumbling, other times people can have whole conversations with me. My eyes open and I appear to be awake, but I'm not. Kids talk in their sleep a lot, because sleep is when the brain evaluates all the things that have happened during the day.
I don't think it was a spirit, because even though your voice appeared to be different, you said you 'made costumes for little people'. Surely if it was the voice of a spirit, you'd have simply said dress maker or seamstress.
I really don't want to be the boring, non believer, I just find it more likely to be sleep talking. I can't explain why you talk about such things in your sleep, dreams are random. When I was little I once walked down stairs (whilst asleep), picked up an imaginary rose(!) and told my parents it was for the King! Then strolled back to bed! RANDOM! 😆
ghostlovr (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-19)
omg that is totally freky but I think it was a spirt of someone that lived in that house and couldn't let go of the house and so when you fell asleep it went into you and sayed I need to take a bath and go to work

~~Amy~~
p.s you should do some history on that house and find out who lived there ❤
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-18)
Hi jwhitfi! That was a great story, I loved it. I think you must have been speaking from a past life. It's very interesting that you were so young, I find it very credible that this is something that you don't remember but your family does! I'd love to hear about more of your experiences! Thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed it. 😊 by the way, don't feel bad - 4 year olds are always brats!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
This is absolutely amazing and terrifying! I can imagine how frightened your mother would have been, Wow! It does sounf like a possesion, at least it was not anything willful or traumatic in its course.

Thank you for sharing your story!

God Bless! 😁
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Ha! I love this story. I'm wondering if the "costume maker" worked on The Wizard of Oz movie making costumes for the Munchkins. Thanks for sharing.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
I cannot relate to this story myself. It sounds like a possession. I have never heard of anything like this happening to a child because it rarely even happens to adults or anyone else. I can only say that it is very bizarre but sometimes children can say or do bizarre things! Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-17)
Now this one I can identify with. My son does the same things. Complete with running around like a wound up shuffle toy until he basically passes out from exertion. From what I am told about him, he is merely remembering his past existence. While he sleeps he seems to be another person. He talks in a language I can not identify, even his movements are noncharacteristic of who he is now. While WIDE awake, and calm, he is my angel. I do not know why the sleep world, or if he is extremely agitated, brings about this change. But you are not alone on this. Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: