You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Paranormal Activity

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Activity

 

I just wanted to share some things that have been going on my house with people that I knew would appreciate it. Before I start let me give you some background info. My family and I live in a very Historic Town in Central Virginia called Fredericksburg. It's really big on all of the civil war battles that happened in this area. We have lived here for over 10 years, and we've done some research on our property, although it was not a battlefield, soldiers from both sides camped out on our land on several different occasions. I believe that most of what goes on is due to poltergeist activity and not actual haunting's, but we have seen apparitions from time to time. Also, the people who owned the house before us, (the first owners) fought all the time and eventually got divorced, they left a lot of negative energy behind them when they left. Well, I have 10 years worth of experiences, but I'll try to highlight the main ones.

When we first moved in my dog refused to go in the basement, she barks and growls at the basement door at random times. One day when she was doing this, we heard a huge bang down there, it sounded like someone was throwing all of our unpacked boxes around, but when we went to investigate everything was as it should be. My dog won't go down there unless we make her, she terrified of it. The scary part about my dog barking is she's an Australian bark less dog, she never ever barks!

My mom is very musical, and she has a lot of instruments on our first floor. We hear her playing a lot when she isn't home. We've chalked it up to the walls releasing noise that they have absorbed but NEVER does it when she is around. Also the toilet in her bedroom will flush by itself when no one is up there.

Now comes the really creepy stuff... Our first floor is very open with the kitchen dining room and rec room just flowing into one another. One night we were watching TV and 2 lamps that hang on the wall in our breakfast nook flew off the wall. They didn't fall, it as if they were thrown, the cords were even yanked out of the wall. No one was in the kitchen but several people saw it happen.

One night a few months ago we were woken up in the middle of the night by all of our fire alarms going off. There was no fire, and the alarms we had didn't have a Carbon Monoxide tester. The batteries didn't need to be replaced either. After unhooking all of them from the wall and removing the batteries the alarms were still going strong. We had to wrap them in blankets and hide them in a closet in our basement so that we could go back to sleep.

My sister has seen a man in grey coat with only one arm walk through our backyard and then vanish at the property line, and when my nephew was 2, we were all in the back yard and he asked us why there was a man buried back there. When we asked him more questions about it he refused to answer, and started playing again.

One time when I was about 16, my mom and I were in the foyer fighting, full out screaming at each other, I don't even remember what it was about now. The chandelier above us started swinging back and forth really hard and 2 bulbs burst.

I have felt and seen an oppressive black shadowy figure in my room. I could move and speak when I saw it, but it frightened me so much that I didn't sleep in there until I put up protective measures. One if those measures I read about a while ago: You get glass orbs and paint the inside silver while whispering blessings over it. You then hang the orbs by every entrance to your room or home and they block out evil spirits. This actually worked until about a year ago... I felt the presence again and had to sleep on the couch, the next day when I went into my room the mounting and wires for the orbs were there but all of the orbs were missing. I never found them, they were just gone. I haven't been able to sleep in there much since, I stay at my boyfriend's or I sleep on the couch. The few times that I have stayed in there I have been plagued by horrible nightmares.

The only part that frightens me is the thing in my room. I will be completely awake when I see him. For some reason I keep wanting to call it 'him.' I don't know if most of this is poltergeist activity that my mom, my sisters, and I have created with our own energy but I know some of it we can't possibly be doing.

Other hauntings by jwhitfi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jwhitfi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Deymonic (1 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-03-13)
-Sigh- People tend to be so witty when it comes to comments, But Indeed, your stories are true to your word and strange, Even Stranger is I come across your stories when all that you explain I can relate to ^-^ I'm from Virginia Myself as well and have many, many, run ins with abnormal beings, and things I couldn't even begin to explain, This post seems its old, and I'm sure many won't find it to come pass, But still, The town you live in is known for a lot of different reasons, the wars were one, their hauntings are another. But even so we all have or stories, our secrets, and our hidden demons, it is up to you if you can decide what they are or want is the true question to ask yourself.
AkatsukiDeidara101 (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-25)
For the orb part, you have to put them on every possible entrance to the house. Did you put them on your toilet? A ghost can enter through the toilet.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-04)
Bellissima is right. Something is just not right there. Especially with the only witnesses going all strange on you the more you ask about the place. You would think that the sharing of their memories would not be a bad thing. It does make a person wonder. If you haven't already, please do as the others suggested, the smudging and the orbs. Thank you for the story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Hi jwhitfi! Thanks for the reply. Well, something sounds not quite right, since the land owners seemed to get weirder every time you tried to find out about the property. They got pretty defensive about it, which is a strange reaction from them. On top of that, the friend who had the nightmares in the same house and had a fear of the basement? Hmmm... These things added together make me strongly suspect that the things going on have to do with the property. Something really violent must have happened there, other than the civil war events, I mean. There must have been some really negative energy involved with the property before you and your family came along. I'd put your orbs back up and do the smudge ceremony. Put up some crosses, if that's part of your beliefs. I'd even ask the entity to leave, tell it to leave you alone, it's not welcome. Just say it with conviction but don't be demanding or rude, you could make it mad and then it might really cause problems. I hope things get better and stop happening. I'd appreciate if you could let us know what comes of things.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Hi jwhitfi. Wow! The history of the property that your house stands on is very interesting. Have you ever found any Civil War relics? I can understand how just the history alone would make the house really creepy. I would definitely do the Smudge Ceremony in your house. Also, don't make your poor dog go in the basement if he/she is terrified! Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤
jwhitfi (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Shane, I think I am going to try the smudging ritual. I went ahead and printed it out the hardest part will be finding time to actually do it when I won't be disturbed! We have 4 adults 2 kids 5 dogs and a cat, so things can definately get hectic!

Bellissima, So far we know that our house was one of the first to be built in our neighborhood. The property was used as campsites for soldiers in the civil war, and it was owned but left untouched by a large family who sold it to devolpers when property prices sky rocketed in the early 90's. When I tried to research the people who sold the land all I came up with were records of the property transactions they had made. I tried talking to some of them about the land (they still live in the area, and came into a restaraunt I used to work at often) they were very uneasy every time I brought it up, and finally flat out refused to talk about the land. They told me that if I didn't like the house I should move, but it wasn't their problem.
The first owners are the ones who had a very rocky relationship he was in his forties and he married a girl who had finished highschool. They got divorced after a 2-3 years in the house.
Also, a family that had 7 kids (who moved into a bigger house in our neighborhood) rented it while thier house was being built. I became friends with one of their sons and he said the house gave him the creeps. He told me that he had nightmares the whole time he lived there and that he was scared of the basement.

I will definately keep you posted on everything that happens! 😊
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
jwhitfi, hi. I keep thinking about the history of your property and the area you live in. There must have been a lot of tragedy and suffering there. I think the man in gray and the grave that your nephew mentioned are linked to it. I'll bet there's more than one grave around there! The music and the toilet flushing sound harmless enough but the rest sounds terrifying. The other things sound violent. One thing that makes me wonder about the poltergeist theory is the fact that the previous owners had such a volatile relationship during their time in the house. It sounds like the negative, malicious energy was already in the home. Do you think it's possible that the shadowy 'man' that feels so evil and frightening could have been a previous owner or occupant of the house or land? Could you find information more specific to the history of your actual house? It sounds like a very frightening place to be. Shane's idea of smudging is a good one, if you try it I hope it works for you. Thank you for sharing your story, I'd like to read more of what has happened and find out what kind of history, if any, you come across.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-23)
Well now that is refreshing. A Young lady who admits that some of what is happening could be from poltergeist activity. You know you could smudge your home, using the full ceremony it would remove all negative energy from your home and replace it with positive. Now if it is a really strong entity you may have to do it a couple of times, but it doesn't sound like you will. I have directions here on this site for the ceremony and all that is needed to perform one. Good luck and let us know if you try it and the results. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: