You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Triplex

Real Ghost Stories

The Triplex

 

Throughout my lifetime, I have always had experiences. Some I thought were definitely paranormal, where others were just weird. This story is about the first apartment my husband and I lived in for 10 years.

When my husband and I were first married (1985), we lived in a triplex that my grandparents once owned in the 60's and early 70's. They lived in one apartment, my aunt and uncle in the other and the smaller middle one was usually rented out.

We had recently moved into what had been my aunt and uncle's house, when one Saturday night I'm in bed watching TV (probably SNL), my husband was already asleep, when I heard the kitchen door click and footsteps like someone had entered and was coming through the kitchen. Thinking we may have an intruder, I'm quietly trying to wake up my husband. Naturally he doesn't wake up. My cat was with me on the bed, she turned and looked at me like "Did you hear that, too?" She got up slowly, her spine and tail were fluffed, walked in kind of a stalking manner low and slow into the hallway where the was a clear view of the kitchen, looked in, then her body language just relaxed, she came back in the room, jumped on the bed and curled up like there was nothing after all.

The next day I had my family over for a BBQ and I had mentioned what had occurred the night before. My aunt and my mother both said "Is THAT still happening?!" WHAT? Do you know how many times I slept over there growing up?

They went on to tell me that when my family lived there, my uncle worked swing shift, so my aunt would keep the same hours as him and sew until he came home around midnight. The first few times this happened she naturally thought this was my uncle, but when she would call out to him, there would be no answer. Thinking this was an intruder, she would run out the back door and have a man in the family come check things out. Never was there anything or any person found. After a while she just accepted it and learned to live with it. I eventually got used to it and later had heard of residual hauntings and figured that's what this was.

Back then, long before Netflix, we would rent movies for a night and then return them the following day. My husband was getting ready to return some and went into the bedroom for his wallet, keys, etc., but couldn't find the keys. Everything else was where he had left them but no car keys. I was sitting in the living room when he called out to me to help him find them. There we are looking under the bed, all around when we hear this jingle jingle jingle coming from the living room, it's the keys.

We looked at each other, ran into the living room and there were the keys, dropping midair right to the ground. Our cat was under the coffee table, scared and fluffed out. When my husband picked up the keys he said they were ice cold.

That was creepy but most of the little things weren't very scary but my husband did have a bad experience once. It was a very hot summer evening, around 1 maybe 2 am and for some reason both of us just woke up. We lie in bed talking for a while when he got up to use the restroom. Coming back out he felt someone by him. Directly into his ear he heard someone exhaling but like with a wide open mouth. He could even feel the hot breath. He thought it was me and asked, in an irritated tone, why I was doing that. I answered from the bedroom "What are you talking about?" I think he flew from the hallway right into bed. That experience really creeped him out, understandably so.

One Christmas eve when I was pregnant, my husband was out of town. I was in the kitchen making Christmas toffee and I felt something touch my behind. Thinking it was one of my cats reaching up to me for food or attention, I just swished my hands behind me and said go away. It happened three times and finally I got annoyed and spun around and yelled "WHAT?!" the cats were clear across the kitchen in a dining area lounging (it was a very long, old kitchen). There was just no way it would have been them. When it happened a 4th time I did turn around to be sure, saw nothing and said "Could you please stop? You're scaring me". No other activity for the rest of that night.

After our daughter was born, there was a little less activity but it seemed was still around, playful as it had been before. It would turn on my daughter's crib mobile randomly. At first we thought it was the spring since it was a wind up kind, but it would happen too often to be the spring. I would be in the rocking chair nursing my daughter when the mobile would start turning and playing its tune. I'd look up, it would stop. Look back down, it would start up again. I'd say "Can you please stop?" and it would.

There were always little things that became amusing, sometimes. The kitchen cabinet would swing back and forth not with any real force, I would say "That's very clever. Can you close it?" It would just stop. My shoes would go missing and I could only find one. When we moved I found all the single orphaned shoes under my bed, dead center in a pile. Since I store things there I never looked since it didn't seem logical that it would make its way around boxes.

I'm sure there were more little things that occurred but those are the experiences I remember the most. Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by OCGirl

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, OCGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KatelynC (12 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-26)
OCGirl

Do you like the ghosts around?

There are a few ways you can get Rid of them...

If they are annoying call a priest
Vampirekid (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-04)
The ghost is not evil in nature, so don't worry about that. He just want to you guys to feel his presence. He is a friendly ghost, and I think he tries to help you. So don't hurt him by words and don't forget to wish him in Christmas. 😜
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-02)
This time the ghost is very obeying. Its a normal residual haunting and I suppose it never intended to harm you but only tried to make you feel its presence.

Thanks for Sharing
Argette (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-02)
Ooh, the shoe thing is weird! The keys, too. We misplace things a lot at our house. I wonder if it's our ghost...
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-01)
Hi Tweed!

I have read & enjoyed your stories. I was only creeped out when I realized it wasn't the cats! The keys, that was freaky. We were off in the bedroom & when we heard that jingle I felt my hair on end, so did my husband. I really think that whatever was there was just wanting to be noticed and playful even. Funny thing is as a child I never felt anything odd there. Maybe it remembered me & the pranks I used to play on my aunt. 😁
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-01)
Hi OCgirl,

Don't like that someone touched your behind, that would've creeped me out! But the rest seem innocent. Man, those keys would've been a trip!
With the cupboard doors I had a giggle when said "Very clever" 😆

Glad you weren't the only ones to experience those footsteps. Your cat's reaction was interesting, maybe she'd encountered this ghost and got used to them before this happened. 😕
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
Thanks RANDYM & Elrond. Those experiences were always interesting. We never really felt in danger just "something that happens" which sometimes was creepy & other times simply amusing. The keys experienced was kind of cool because it's physical proof that we both saw, apparently the cat, too.
Elrond (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
OCgirl,
Thanks for the great story. I especially loved the part about the icy keys dropping from mid-air and the pile of single shoes under the middle of the bed. I too lived in the end apartment of a triplex for many years and had some experiences that still baffle me. When I started renovating a home across the street, I would be using a tool, lay it down for a moment, only to find it had disappeared even though I had not moved. I would later find it in another room, in the toolbox or someplace unexpected. Later I learned to say, "Give it back. That isn't funny." and the tool would typically be returned to where I originally expected to find it.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-30)
OCgirl
Welcome to YGS and thank you for story

Just like you stated, many times just telling someone who has crossed over to stop doing something they will. I think they just want to let you know they are there sometimes.

Randy

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: