You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Backseat Driver

Real Ghost Stories

Backseat Driver

 

Hey guys! I'm really happy that I stumbled upon this site. This is my first entry. I have so many stories to share and they collect more and more every day. I'm excited to learn about what everyone else has experienced as well

I wanted to share one of my experiences on a car ride home alone one night. My family and I are very superstitious people and our minds and energy are open and active.

This took place in my hometown in Canada, in the early morning. I was driving home one Wednesday night after dropping my friend off at her house, it was about 2:15 in the morning. The city air was quiet and the streets were calm; I passed only a few cars on the ride home. It was so still around me on the road that I decided to throw some music on from my phone. I plugged it in and started to feel more relaxed with my favourite music playing through the cars speaker.

It was about 10 minutes into my ride home that I felt myself feeling oddly anxious. I felt as if someone was in the car with me, it made me uncomfortable. I found myself actually looking in my rear-view mirror to see if anyone was in the back seat. I kept doing this several times as my anxiety rose. I swear on my life that the back seat of my car almost seemed darker than everything around me. It was late at night with barely any street lights to begin with. So as you can imagine it was pretty dark outside...

My music was still playing as I was driving down the road. I kept telling myself I would be home before I know it and I can jump right out of this car. It was as this thought hit me that my music shut off completely and static replaced it. Loud, invasive static filled my car. It shocked me completely as I reached for my phone in the dark completely confused. I hit the pause button on my music app but the static continued and was getting louder and louder, yet I'd never touched the volume since I plugged in my phone.

At this point I was freaking out, I was confused, shocked, scared and still felt like I wasn't alone in my vehicle. This is when the voice began, to this day I cannot even begin to try and speak what was spoken through my speakers, and to this day I still feel like trying to imitate what was said is dangerous.

A voice started to speak through the speakers in my car over the static. It sounded like many but it also sounded like one. It was heavy and possessive and filled my car with its words. It was not English, it was not Latin, I don't even think this language is known to man. I was screaming, pushing the off button repeatedly on my car, pulling the aux cord out of my phone but it didn't stop. I was checking the back seat, constantly feeling like whatever was in my back seat was going to make itself known physically at any moment.

I couldn't take it... I was searching for places to pull over, running solutions in my mind on what to do. Then it stopped. It all stopped. The static was gone, the voice (s) were gone and my radio shut off. The car was silent and all I heard was the road and my breathing and I felt was this presence in my back seat.

I pulled over, my car and grabbed my phone to call my mom. It was who I reached out to anytime I felt something or experienced something, she did the same for me. I wanted her calming voice on the phone to fill the tight air in my car. As I dialled her number, whatever was in the back seat decided to hit me with every single emotion I could possibly feel. I was furious, I was happy, I was scared, I was jealous, I felt everything and I bawled and cried. I was shaking, I couldn't control myself. It was as if for a split second I didn't know who I was and what I was feeling. I jumped out my car and slammed the door. I stood on the side of the road pacing and trying to gather composure. I held my crucifix and prayed. I finally got a hold of my mom, she met me where I was and saged the car and drove it home herself while I drove the other home.

I now drive with a rosary around my rear-view mirror. But I will never forgot this experience. I'm happy I can share this here and I'd really like to know what you guys think. Could a spirit of attached itself to me on the ride home, or maybe it's been with me a while? I'd love your help

Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TwitchyMind, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

TwitchyMind (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-14)
Hey Biblio!

Its been a while, I hope youre still active.
I was lounging around one day and wanted to check on the story I posted.
I like what you said about losing frequency and channeling in to separate station. Id like to use reason and assume that could have been what happened? But again the area (stretch of road) where I was, is quite far from the cultural part of my city... Then again I don't know if distance would really matter when it comes to energy.

But of course! The last thing I would want to do is shut down someones ideas that is willing to listen. I try my best to think logically when something happens to me and I'm glad you took the time to hear my story out and pull apart what you understood.

I know for sure my description of what I heard seems convoluted. I wish I could have recorded it somehow. Just such an odd string of speech and sound

Ah well,
Thank Biblio! I hope you see my response! 😁
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-16)
Thanks for responding, Twitchy.

I didn't want to know where you were exactly (that's weird to ask a stranger over the internet!) so much as to eliminate the potential causes for linguistic confusion. The apparently-synchronized voices speaking the same incomprehensible words is a really strange phenomenon for a message; even in ritual chants this can sound bizarre.

I used to live in Worcester, Massachusetts; when I'd travel to the western border of the city, my car radio would lose the Boston station I was listening to and automatically switch to the nearest frequency, which happened to be a Spanish-language station in Worcester (I only speak English & French). When you stated that you didn't think that "the language is known to man," that just struck me as a strange assertion. I couldn't see why someone would talk in an incomprehensible language. However, you did mention -in both descriptions- the peculiarity of the voice "It sounded like many but it also sounded like one" and "It sounded ancient but modern. I don't know how to describe it. At the same time, it sounded like several voices in one."

While my initial responses were geared toward eliminating potential mundane explanations, there may indeed be a connection or correlation between this multiple/blended voice phenomenon and the new information you've provided about the body-dump sites of a serial killer. I will not speculate as to the cause-and-effect relationship in your experience, as they two may not be related by anything but coincidence. (Some locations are "hotspots" for evil/brutal/sinister activity, others are just places where many things happen and some of those events are horrible.)

I very happy that you looked into the possible explanations I posited before dismissing them out of hand. YOU knew how bizarre the events were, but you ruled out my suggestions by process of elimination **before** telling me my hypotheses were inaccurate.

Best,
Biblio.
TwitchyMind (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-15)
Hi Bibliothecarius!

I stated that because what was spoken through my speakers was so intense, so coated. It sounded ancient but modern. I don't know how to describe it. At the same time, it sounded like several voices in one. You really would of had to be there to understand what I heard. These groups of people you name are no where near where I live, or where I had driven. I did the history on this stretch of road and found that many dead bodies were found by one serial killers doing. He dumped their bodies on this road. I'm not comfortable stating exactly where I am from. But regardless this experience I had was evil in every way and I believe it to had been demonic.

Thank you!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-01)
Greetings, Twitchy.

I'm curious about this experience... Why do you state, "It was not English, it was not Latin, I don't even think this language is known to man" in your description of the events? It seems inordinately counter-productive for an accomplished energetic entity to put effort into speaking to you, but to fail to account for a language barrier. Are there any nearby First Peoples, Native Americans, Innuit, or immigrant groups, such as Hmong or Czech, whose linguistic base would be completely unfamiliar to you? (I'm afraid that "Canada" is not a very precise way to define your home; Prince Edward Island is a very, very different location from Vancouver in terms of history, ethnography, weather, flora & fauna...)

Thanks for taking time to clear up some of the details, here.
Biblio.
billburns (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-01)
Amplifiers can sometimes randomly pick up shortwave radio signals, which can make a very distorted, staticy sound from the speakers.

I used to have a guitar amp which did exactly this from time to time.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-30)
Hi TwitchyMind, welcome to YGS. I could understand how you must have felt during your journey. But long way into the night and you being alone on the road, how did you manage to have the courage? I do understand, standing outside was the best thing than to be inside. But, as shelbyloree said, it could be that if you possibly can identify the place from where you felt like someone was in the car and to the place where you stopped the car, you could avoid that road. Or if you want to investigate, you can do so in that stretch.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-26)
Welcome to YGS,

A creapy experience. It can be a possibility that that particular section of the road might have been haunted. Something wrong would have happened such as a severe accident. I think you should find out the history of that place.

Thanks for Sharing and do share your other experiences as well.

One more thing, you shouldn't call yourself and your family as superstitious because you believe on something that really exists. 😉
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-25)
Demon hitchhiker?

Probably had something to do with that stretch of road, rather than your car. Maybe take note where it hopped in and where it left so you can avoid that area in the future.

Thank goodness it got out!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: