You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Whistling In My Room

Real Ghost Stories

Whistling In My Room

 

This isn't the first story I've written on here, but my name is Shelly and I'm 17 years old, live in Australia.

So mid-late last year my great grandfather passed away. He lived far away from where I lived and I hadn't seen him since I was about five. So when he passed it wasn't really a big shock and I wasn't really that upset about it as I didn't really know my great grandfather.

So after he passed away I had this weird incident with my necklace (it was of a cross) which I lost and then mysteriously found (I wrote a story about it on here go check out my page if you want) but anyway also not long after his death I heard this whistling in my room...

Now my dad's father passed away a long time ago, before my dad had even met my mum. When I heard this whistle I thought it might of been either one of my grandfathers. But I'd thought I'd heard it before. I was 16 when this had happened and I just couldn't shake the feeling that I'd heard it before. So I was sure it couldn't of been my great grandfather that recently passed but maybe my dad's father?

Now something else you must know, when my dad went to his father's funeral, that night he was in his room and heard tapping all up and down his walls. He knew it was his father tapping for whatever reason.

So of course when I heard this whistle I was like "it couldn't be my great grandfather, I've heard this before he passed away. It could be my dad's father but why would he whistle and not tap?"

I just thought it seemed a bit off. Anyway the whistle was short, just two short whistles, and it sounded feel like a man. When I whistle it's fairly high pitch so I'm also just assuming it's a man.

So anyway, I've heard this whistling a fair few times since then, but I hadn't heard it for months until the other night. I was in bed, lights were off and I was reading a book on my phone. And that when I heard the whistle. Now I'm a massive scaredy cat and waiting a few minutes until I ran to get my little brother because I was too scared to sleep by myself. Of course I just thought this was one of my grandfathers (oh PS there's no one else in my family that I've known who's passed).

So last night I had a friend over and she likes sleeping with the door shut and whatnot but I didn't really mind. I sleep with my TV on and also my electric fan which sits opposite my bed (I hate when there's no noise).

So me and my friend went to sleep around midnight and at 4am I woke up. I didn't think much of it and just went on my phone. After about 10 minutes I heard this weird noise and at first I just thought it was something on the TV (but the TV is quite quiet) and after a few minutes of it continuing I thought no way is that something on the TV, it's been going nonstop for ages. And that's when I realised. It was someone whistling. It would stop and start up again, and when I realised what I was hearing, I paid a lot more attention to it.

The whistle would sort of be continuous but then stop as if taking a breath and then start again. There was no pattern, sometimes it would stop for a minute or two and then do a short little whistle, but then do more long ones. It was really creeping me out. I woke my friend up and then it went away. I have never really scared me so much before because I thought it was one of my grandparents but now I'm not sure... And mind you I've heard this whistle for years! Like this is definitely not the first time I've heard it and I've heard it before last year too... So what could this be?

Why does it go away and come back again? And why was it different this time? Would it really be my dad's father or someone related to me if they knew it scared me? Should I tell my parents? They usually think I'm crazy and think my mind makes it up because I've watched a scary movie or something but it happens when I'm least expecting it, like just reading or on my phone and it'll happen.

Other hauntings by shelly_2429

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shelly_2429, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

billburns (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-01)
Has anyone else heard the whistle?

Is it a tune or a tone?

There is a ear condition called tinnitus, which can sometimes sound like whistling.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-27)
Shelly- Could be a bird. Don't know what kind of birds you have around there but mockingbirds come to mind right off the bat. I hear them late at night and they can sound just like someone whistling.
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-26)
I agree with the other posters. Paranormal world is 'real' this sounds sometimes very fascinating but in reality is very scary thing for all of us. And even sometimes its very easy to blame ghosts for everything that goes wrong and make the things interesting. Why would your grandfather whistle? Of course the tapping can be a paranormal experience but the whistling can have an alternate explanation.

Sorry, if I sounded rude.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-26)
Hi Shelly,

I used to hear whistling from time to time. Turned out to be the neighbour's clothesline swaying in the breeze! 😆 But it sounded just like whistling. Another possibility to consider is pipes, they can make the darnedest noises.

Just thought I'd offer some other explanations, there could be a 'boring' reason for what you hear. I like Shelbyloree's suggestions too.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-25)
Is it an abstract 'whistle while you work,' or a 'hey you, come here' whistle directed at you? What happens when you whistle back?

4am isn't an unusual time for a farmer or shepherd (or anyone with livestock) to be up, especially during birthing season. I know my grandparents were up at totally bizarre hours checking on their cattle when I would visit.

Could be a neighbor (if you are in the country), or you could be hearing the residual energy of a previous owner. If it's following you to different houses, then I don't know.

Sounds extremely annoying though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: