You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Responds To Tv Program

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Responds To Tv Program

 

We had lived in our house for the best part of 20 years, it was around 150 years old. As far back as I could remember there were always strange goings on in the house, footsteps in the hallways and loud unexplained bangs at night. When we first moved into the house we were all quite scared by this but as the years went on we got used to it and just ignored it. Visitors would regularly comment on the strange footsteps and loud bangs and we would joke that it was our resident ghost. As far as I remember the only time someone saw the ghost was when my great grand mother came to visit for a few days. My mother was speaking to our neighbour in the kitchen and when the neighbour left my grandmother asked who the man was standing behind our neighbour, my mother said it was just her and our neighbour in the kitchen at the time at which point I vividly remember her face turning pale and she didn't speak for the rest of that day. The following day she decided to cut her stay short and left. We also got through about 5 babysitters who would refuse to come back to the house after spending an evening looking after us kids.

My sister also experienced something a bit more alarming, she was on her own in her bedroom one evening and whilst watching TV an ornament on the TV flew off and hit her, none of us really believed her but to this day she is adamant it really happened. This room we affectionately called the ghost room from then on.

I had been living abroad for 4 years and had come back home to live with my parents while looking around for a place of my own. By this time my brother and sister had left home and on my return my mother kindly made a room up for me. Unfortunately this turned out to be the ghost room.

The first few nights passed by uneventfully. After about a week I was in bed watching a TV program called 'Most Haunted' with the presenter Yvette Fielding. For those who've never seen this before the most haunted team spend the night in haunted houses across the UK and try and capture paranormal events. During the program the team regularly asks out loud things like 'is there anyone here' or 'if you can hear us please give us a sign' or 'if there are any spirits present please make a noise'. As the program finished I turned the lights out and switched the TV off, just as I had done so and in the knowledge that no one else was in the house I prepared to go to sleep. Then after about 5 minutes and still completely awake something tapped me on my shoulder. I can clearly remember the feeling, a definite and strong 3 taps on my shoulder. As you can imagine I completely s--t myself, I switched the lights back on and searched the entire house to see if anyone was around but the house was empty. I can honestly say I've never been so scared in all my life and sat awake for the rest of the night with the lights on. During this time I thought it could have been possible that the ghost/ spirit whatever you want to call it had heard the TV earlier when I was watching Most Haunted and assumed it was ME asking if 'anyone was there' or 'give us a sign if anyone is there'. IT might not have known about TV's and thought it was someone present in the room asking these questions. Anyway so now it knew that I knew it was there.

For the rest of my stay at the house (approximately 4 months) every night I was awoken with the 3 taps on my shoulder and always between the hours of 3 and 4 o clock in the morning. I ended up getting used to it and also got used to little sleep as when it woke me up I could never get back to sleep, when it happened there was always a dark almost tangible presence in the room. I eventually plucked up the courage and asked out loud if there was anything I could do to help and if it would be possible to stop waking me up at 3 o clock every morning! This only made matters worse, instead of the usual 3 taps on the shoulder it started to wake me up by pulling my duvet off and whispering stuff in my ear which I couldn't understand. I ended up moving into another bedroom in a newly built part of the house thinking it couldn't go into a new room but annoyingly it just followed me. You might ask why I stayed in the house for 4 months while this was going on, the simple answer is I didn't have anywhere else to stay. During the last week of my stay I slept in a tent in the garden, thankfully it didn't follow me there. My parents thought I was mad at the time but I never told them what happened as I didn't want to scare them.

The last bit of the story worth mentioning. One Christmas years later with the family back at the house and after the customary few drinks on Christmas Day I finally decided to tell everyone. As I was finishing my story (my brothers girlfriend was visibly petrified)! The TV suddenly flickered and all the power went off in the house. After this I think that most of my family and others present believed me. As for my brothers girlfriend and other guests present they never stepped foot in the house again.

The moral of the story: Don't watch Most Haunted in a haunted house

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, andyf75, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-02-23)
The taps on the shoulder... When my mother was going through her terminal illness, she use to tell me, "After I'm gone, if you feel someone pat you on the back, and no one's there, don't be afraid. It's just me saying hi." Maybe, that's what was happening here? The spirit letting you know they were there, and wanting to know what you wanted?
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-23)
Hi Andy,

Far out thanks for sharing. You endured one of my fears, being tapped on the shoulder by a ghost! Stupid fear, don't know why I have it. I've felt pressure on my shoulder and arm and that didn't bother me. But a hard tap does, ridiculous I know. I don't know if I could take being tapped frequently like that, eek!

You've helped justify my not entering our own 'ghost room' sometimes. Just feels 'occupied' every now and then, but not in a nasty/scary way.

About your Christmas moment I wonder if the atmosphere in the house, while you were telling everyone about your decision to sleep in a tent lol, I wonder if the high fear factor had something to do with the power outage.
My husband and I had a similar experience. He's a horror fanatic and doesn't scare easily when it comes to fiction. Neither do I. When we first got together I told him the only film to ever truly scare me is The Woman In Black, 1989 BBC made for TV film. Not the crappy recent remake, that didn't exist back then. You're middle aged and from the UK so I assume you know the original. Anyway, as per the usual, we watch cool stuff with the lights off. Right at the pivotal point during *that scene*, yes *THAT* one, the power went off. Talk about suffer in your undies. The surrounding houses and street lights remained on. We think our combined fear might have had something to do with it. Not really a ghost, husband joked that we'd summoned her lol, but we think something was going on with our emotional output and the electricity supply. That sounds bonkers now that I've typed it. I don't know, but it's interesting. Your Christmas moment has really got me thinking about this, glad you included it.

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed this.
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-22)
Hello andyf75,
Welcome to YGS and sharing your experience. It was really a very good read.
Just one question... Did your great grandmother said anything else about the man standing behind the neighbor?
Like how he looked or was she feeling secured or was she feared after seeing that man?

Well, after all what creeps the most was of the ghost mistaken you by the Most haunted show.
That ghost thought it was you who was asking those questions.

Thanks and Regards
Meghna
Argette (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-21)
Welcome, Andy, and thanks for posting that account. Well done.

You mentioned a newer part of the house. Do you think the presence you felt and your grandmother saw were related in anyway to the new part of the house? Could work on the addition have brought out entities, or were the new rooms just "new" relative to the old ones?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-02-21)
andyf75: welcome to YGS.

More than responding to the show, I wonder if the ghost was upset at you for not acknowledging him after coming back to stay in 'his' room.

Did your mother ever try to describe to the neighbor the gentleman your great grandmother saw standing behind her? For some reason I think it is possible that he came accompanying the lady and your GGM was just only lucky enough to see him.

It is easy to understand that a house that old would have many stories to tell.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience, you are a very gifted writer.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-21)
andyf75--Really enjoyed reading your account of a shoulder tapping ghost. I think you are right, the ghost overheard the question on the tv show and assumed it was you asking if anyone was there.

I have heard disembodied voices on more than one occasion but have to give you major credit to continue to sleep in that room with the shoulder tapping continuing nightly and then escalating to the duvet being pulled off and incoherent whispering in your ear!

Like many people, there is no rhyme or reason with some ghosts. The ghost you were dealing with happily followed you to another room in the house but put its ghost foot down about trudging outside to tap your shoulder in a tent. I have an image in my mind of a ghost looking out your bedroom window at you setting up the tent and saying to itself, "Nah. I like letting Andy knowing I'm around but there's a limit!" Welcome to YGS by the way.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: