You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our House in Bound Brook

Real Ghost Stories

Our House in Bound Brook

 

When my grandfather came home from WWII, he purchased land in Bound Brook, a small city in central New Jersey. He built his own house on an empty lot. This lot had only been home to an old barn, which he stripped down to nothing except for the stone basement, which he subsequently buried. The house was built in front of where the barn used to be, and the covered basement became the backyard.

The strange things started when I was five. Being a little girl, and very attached to my mother, I used to sleep in her bed almost every night. I woke up a lot during the night, most of the time because I thought I heard noises. When I would comment on this to my mother, she would tell me that our house was very old, and that it was probably just the house settling at night.

One night, I woke up due to another strange sound, which I can only describe as one heavy footstep. I thought maybe my grandfather had come up the stairs, since he still lived with us, so I sat up and looked expectantly at the door to my mother's room. Instead, I saw a strange man walk into my mother's doorway. He was dressed in overalls and a plain white shirt. We stared at each other for a moment before he spoke to me, in a clear, deep voice. He told me to get out, continuing to stare at me intensely. Since I was a child, I decided that if I stuck my head under the covers, he would obviously leave me alone. I stayed under the covers for a few moments and then raised my head, seeing that he had disappeared. Still scared, I woke my mother and told her exactly what had happened. She simply told me that I had a bad dream, and that I should forget all about it.

Years later, when I sixteen, I brought up the memory to my mother. She seemed uncomfortable about it, and I had to press her to get her own experience. Apparently, many nights she would feel someone get into bed with her and hold her. Thinking it was me, she would turn over to make sure that I was alright, and that I had not had a bad dream. Instead, she would find absolutely no one next to her. I asked her if she believed that I had seen her "phantom bedmate" and she finally told me that she believed I had, and it was much more than a bad dream.

Before he died, I asked my grandfather about the ghost that both my mother and I had encountered. My grandfather was not a very superstitious man, but he did not doubt that we had seen something. He told me that many times, in the backyard, he felt that there was someone there with him. He said that many times, when I was too little to remember, I would come running to him from the backyard, crying about "something scary" in the backyard, and refusing to go back there. It was then that he told me about the barn, and that he believed that whatever it was had come from there.

Up until the day we moved, I can still remember waking in the middle of the night to noises, and never feeling comfortable in the backyard. I can only hope that the people who live there now aren't bothered, and that someday whatever was in that barn will go away.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Maeve, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hi Maeve. That would have been really spooky to have a ghost tell me to "GET OUT!" I would have screamed for my Mama! It sounds like it was definitely an attachment to the property since your Grandfather built the house. If there was a barn there when your Grandfather bought it, then wouldn't you think there had to have been a house to go along with who ever owned the barn and the land before your Grandfather? I mean, there doesn't have to be a house but you just would assume that there could have been one at some point and if so, what happened to it?! Did or does your Grandfather or anybody know the history of the property? I've had something crawl into bed with me and spoon behind me one time. It was a very disturbing experience! Thanks for sharing your story. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hi Maeve. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I found it very interesting and believeable. Apparently your phantom didn`t know he was dead or was just refusing to accept it. Take Care.

FRAWIN ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hello Maeve.
I think your grandfather had it pegged there. Sounds like even though the foundation of the barn was buried, the attachment is still there.
Do you know what happens? When someone passes on, but they do not know that they have, sometimes they will walk in on you and get surprised. YOU are the interloper, not them. As far as they are concerned, they are going about their business as usual, and there you are, squatting on their land. That is why some may tell you to get out.
Welcome to our site, and thank you for your story.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
Hi Maeve. That was pretty spooky. I'll bet the ghost was attached to the property or the previous house. (No doubt about whether or not there was a ghost!) Did you ever ask any other family members if they'd had experiences there? Or if anyone ever knew the history of the land before your Grandpa bought it? Since you're now living elsewhere and you're no longer worried about that, but how about these days? Anything recent to tell us about? 😊 Thanks for telling your tale.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-11)
It sounds as if the 'entity' or entities' where attached either to the land or to the barn. Leaving the basement under the back yard may have helped in leaving the energy there as well.

Do you still have family living in the house?

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: