You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Moaning

Real Ghost Stories

The Moaning

 

For the past 10 years I have lived in St. Anns in Nottingham, England. Our area is called Stonebridge Park. I may have lived here for 10 years, but this ghost story has only been happening for the past 2 & half years. The street I live on is directly next to Nottingham's famous Stonebridge City Farm. Between our street and the farm is a public pathway that the locals call 'The Farm Pathway'. This pathway runs right through the farm land and is a public access way to other housing estates. Well, it is on this pathway that the 'Wailing Woman' is heard.

To be honest, when it first started in Summer 2004, we actually thought it was a crazy person going around, but we soon discovered it wasn't. The latest encounter was in the early hours of 11th January 2007 at 3:25AM. She is heard in 2 different ways. The most common heard is that of this woman shouting for help, crying out in desperation. Sometimes a man's voice accompanies hers, but the male voice is always much quieter. The other way she is heard is much more disturbing. Her pitiful moans of anguish and pain echo through the air, shattering the night silence.

The second time we ever heard it, in 2004, me and my dad looked out of our bathroom window, which overlooks the path. The woman's cries for help were so close, coming from the path, we expected to be able to see her but nothing was there, yet the cries continued! Half hour later the police arrived - someone had obviously called after hearing cries for help. The police concluded that the caller was a hoaxer, but we insisted the cries were there and that we had heard them! The exact same cries started a couple weeks later and me and dad went around to the farm path to see who it was. But as with before, the sound continued but no visible person was around.

The cries once again just stopped dead. It was over a year and we had forgotten all about the cries for help. But it was in Summer 2005 that it started up again, at exactly the same time as the previous year! It was then that me and dad concluded and believed that these cries were some sort of residual haunting. The fact that the voice was always the same, always said the same things and that no visible person was ever present is what led us to believe this. Another thing we noticed is that about 95% of the time, the sound only occurred on Friday and Saturday nights.

It was another great amount of time before we heard the 'Wailing Woman' again. This time it was different. Her cries of pain, anguish and heart break echo through the night. I must say this - It is VERY disturbing to hear, especially in the middle of the night. What is odd is that, despite the sounds being different, you can tell it is the same woman who is calling for help. Anyway, coming back to the present. These cries started again at 3:25AM on the 11th January 2007. It was only last week that the cries for help were heard and now we have the moaning.

Is the moaning the spirit of the woman, actually haunting the pathway? It is my own theory that this woman was murdered by her husband / lover. If this is true, then it is sad as her long departed ghost seems to still be suffering...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Hellen (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-10)
The area you live in was a slum clearance area, you may find some details by going to the local studies section at Nottingham library. The clearances included at least one churchyard and church.
squishee (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-22)
I also live in notts and I have heard myths and rumors about this ghost.
miiish (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-15)
Thats the imprint that I was talking about . A "print" left in time. Did U find out if anone perished in that demolition ? Cheers !
Ant Harrow (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-15)
Hi thanks for your comment. The reason why I think the moaning only started 2 years ago is because a factory just near the site was demolished just before the screaming started. It is my theory that demolishion causes a sort of playback, like pressing the play button on a video recorder and listening back to something thats been recorded in the atmosphere.

Ant xx xx
miiish (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-02-14)
Its strange that U mentioned that the moaning and cries started just 2 and a half years ago, while U have been living there about 10 years. If there was a murder, then U would know about it you ? Maybe the murder happened somewhere close by .....It could very well also be an imprint left in time due to the womans' grief. Nevertheless, I can only imagine how stressful it can be. I hope it settles soon. Cheers !!!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: