You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Adrift On A Mattress

Real Ghost Stories

Adrift On A Mattress

 

I apologise that there isn't much drama to my story, but it was strange and I haven't had the time to recount this experience until now. This happened in 2007 when my parents' home was undergoing renovations and I stayed over at night to watch over the place. My dad was ill with cancer at that time so he was not able to. As the home was dusty and dirty due to the work being done, my family was staying at an apartment somewhere else so I was alone at home during this period.

One night I came home after work and went into the small room on the second floor that I was sleeping in (it did not have work done). After watching TV for a while, I fell asleep. Later that night, I awoke to a strange feeling akin to numbness -- I wouldn't call it sleep paralysis as I had a tiny degree of mobility. I felt that the thin mattress (more accurately a small single-sized mattress topper) was floating a couple of inches off the carpet (and I together with it). Although mostly numb, I could move my hand that was hanging off the mattress a little, and took hold of the TV remote that was resting on the carpet right underneath my hand (I fell asleep right after switching off the TV). To confirm my suspicions, I held one end of the remote and swiped it slowly under the mattress. It did its sweep without obstruction -- right under the mattress -- so the mattress was indeed off the carpet.

Strangely, I did not feel fear nor panic, but it took some effort to try to speak... "In the name of Jesus Christ..." I managed to mutter somewhat hoarsely. Immediately the mattress came back down on the carpet. I'm guessing this was some time between 2-5am but I didn't have a watch or clock near me at that time so I can't be sure. If you know me you'd know that I'm a real sleepyhead, so I went back to sleep shortly after. I woke up later the next morning (it was a weekend) with a clear recollection of what happened the night before. The remote was also wedged firmly between the mattress and the carpet (the mattress fell on top of it) with the base of it sticking out.

For the record I rarely remember my dreams, and if I do, they are very fragmented (no details, only broad strokes about what happened) and never for more than a few hours. I've not had any other experience akin to that since.

Other hauntings by Anno_Domini

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Singapore

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Anno_Domini, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
 
5 years ago (2019-02-12)
Hello AnnoDomini,

I enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Best wishes,
Miandra
😘 ❤ 😘
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-05)
Hi Anno_Domini. I only just read your story. So glad I did. I have never experienced (seen) anything strange apart from the most beautiful fragrance that awoke me in the dead of night on 10.3.08 and around noon on 10.3.13 just as I started to iron some clothes. The really strange thing is it happened exactly 5 years apart to the day. Last year I was busy chatting on whatsapp with my son at around 10pm. Both myself and my husband heard a distinct knock on the window. We realised this was totally unusual/unlikely. All I said was "In the name ofJesus Christ leave NOW" We have never experienced anything since then. Blessings to you.
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-06-19)
Hi Melda & valkricry thanks for your input, I have had no indications as to the spirit's intentions (if indeed it was a spirit). Melda you are right, I believe that spiritual activity on earth is either from God or the devil. White or Black. I have no inkling as to why it happened though. 😕

Jubeele nice to see a fellow Singaporean here. My mom's home is in Bukit Timah, and it used to be a collection of kampungs (rural villages) I believe. Besides this there was no other "paranormal" incident that I can recall in my 20+ years of staying there other than the doorbell incident I mentioned somewhere on this site. 😊
Jubeele (26 stories) (896 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-09)
Hi Anno_Domini, this was an interesting account. The fact that the mattress lifted completely off the ground, while bearing your weight, points to something exerting quite an extraordinary force. You were admirably calm about the whole thing. I'd have jumped off the mattress at once, rushed out of the place and be too chicken to come back. 😨

Did you ever had the chance to research into the history of the land where the house was built? There are some suburbs in Singapore that have more than their fair share of sightings. My Mum's place in Queenstown was formerly a Chinese cemetery and she had to have the place cleansed and blessed a few times over the years. Did anyone else in your family experience anything strange in the house too?

Perhaps all the renovations disturbed something and it wanted to tell you it was there. But I'm glad you weren't harmed and whatever it was responded when you called on the name of "Jesus Christ". I do believe that your faith protected you.

Thanks for sharing your experience. 😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-06)
Anno_Domini - Val is quite correct, you didn't mention that it might have been an evil spirit.

Having re-read my comment I realise that I might have come across as argumentative. That honestly was not my intention. If that is the impression that you gained, I sincerely apologise.

Regards, Melda
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-05)
Anno, I found this a very interesting read. Although I agree with Melda not all spirits are evil, you made no claim on that in this entry, only that after you called upon the name of Jesus you were safely returned to the ground.
I wonder if this was a case of spontaneous levitation. But then, why would the mattress go with you? That is perplexing. (No worries, I know you don't have an answer for that, how could you?)
Interesting, as I said, dear Anno - very interesting.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-06-05)
Anno_Domini - If you're quite sure that it wasn't sleep paralysis or some form of lucid dream, I think it was probably just a mischievous spirit letting you know that you weren't alone. It's very possible that some or other entity levitated your mattress, hence the incident which you described regarding the remote control. Add to that the building activity taking place.

I know your belief system and that you are convinced that all spirits appearing on our plane are evil. As you know, I don't agree with that at all as I've had proof to the contrary. If the entity had been evil I don't think it would have stopped at levitating your mattress; more than likely it would have returned and got up to a few more scary things.

Besides that, you weren't frightened and believe me, if it had been evil you would have sensed it and you would have been frightened!

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: