You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Isle Of Bute 1992

Real Ghost Stories

The Isle Of Bute 1992

 

I have had quite a few incidents over the years which I have not been able to explain or rationalise. The following event is one that sticks in my mind the most.

My boyfriend and I had booked a holiday in Scotland and had been travelling around. It was the beginning of October if I recall correctly but the weather was particularly mild that year and we had booked 3 days on the Isle of Bute. We had chosen a gorgeous cabin which was situated with 5 others on a private country estate overlooking the sea. It was rather remote but beautiful. The cabins were spread out over a huge area on a large sloping piece of grassland. Each cabin was accessed by a simple gravel driveway met by one solitary lane which took you up to the main entrance at the top of the hill which joined the long tree lined avenue (This led on to the huge mansion which belonged to the landowners). Also at the entrance was a smaller utility cabin which was only opened during the day and had washing machine facilities etc and on the outside a phone box (this was long before mobiles were freely in use).

The only trees to be seen were those lining the 4 mile avenue entering the estate.

We had spent the day travelling around the nearest large town after an early check in at the cabin - it was dusk as we returned back. My boyfriend was driving and we both werent talking - just taking in the views. We started driving up the avenue which was lined with trees. As we drove past, you could see past the trunks of the trees to the fields and the sea beyond.

As we started to approach the entrance to the field with our cabins, I noticed a woman standing outside the utility cabin. She had a long pale grey dress on. My first thoughts were 'She must be a bit cold wearing a nightie at this time?' I just assumed she was using the payphone. I didn't say anything to my boyfriend but continued to watch her as we drove closer along the road. I had a good, clear view of her. I saw she was crying and looked extremely pale. I was concerned as I thought something was quite wrong. We turned the corner into the field - she was gone! At the same time my boyfriend said 'Where has that woman gone?'

He had seen her too. There was no way she could have simply disappeared just like that! We stopped the car, got out looked around the cabin, which was locked. There was no sign of her. The nearest holiday cabin was a good 50 metres down and there was simply no way she could have run there in a matter of seconds? My boyfriend described her to me exactly as I had seen her. Both of us got chills down our spine. We couldn't explain it at all.

When we got into our cabin for the night we felt quite uncomfortable to be fair (we were quite young at the time) and had a rather a restless evening.

The next morning we spoke to the gamekeeper who confirmed that a 'grey lady' has often been seen. It was believed that a young woman who was scorned by her lover before their wedding, hung herself from one of the trees along the avenue.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lucia1968, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-10)
Lucia - It certainly does sound like a beautiful location.

I am of the same opinion as Dee that it could be a residual haunting. I wonder whether the "grey lady" is always seem at the same spot displaying the same behaviour or whether she's seen at various other locations? If she's seen at random places on the property it might not be residual.

I hope that her restless soul has found peace.

Regards, Melda
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-09)
Lucia,

Welcome to YGS. The Isle of Bute sounds beautiful. 😊 It sounds like the apparition of the woman was either residual or perhaps she is stuck there, reliving a traumatic moment. I hope it's the former.

Do you know if the woman appears to the other guests the same way in the same location? If so, it might point to residual. Either way, I'm sure the history and age there would make for lots of activity.

I look forward to reading about your other experiences. Thanks for sharing 😊

Dee

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: