You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting Here In Maine

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting Here In Maine

 

I live here on the coast of Maine and I own an old Dutch colonial house. I am a firm believer of the paranormal, weird things have happened to me since I was a young boy. Like I saw one day, rabbit hunting in Lovell Maine, a man standing on a stone wall and he was no more than three foot high. Amazed to what I saw, I turned to watch him saunder off down the stone wall, and he disappeared like the blowing of the wind, I never seen or anything like that again.

Now present day, my house is haunted. My wife and I were making a quilt, I was standing back to the kitchen and my wife was sewing the quilt, when she saw our cat playing with a very bright orb. My wife saw it and I caught out of the corner of my eye, our cat was standing in front of the stove and he was reaching for or playing with the orb. It just vanished between his paws, the brightness of the orb looked like an old time flash from a camera.

That's not all that's happened here. I was renovating my kitchen so when I started tearing into the walls and by God there between the walls was a perfectly framed out door with a threshold. Well I thought it was cool, I wanted to keep it and close in our doorway. Well my family was freaked out, I said it's a doorway nothing else. A week goes by and I'm doing work there in the area of the doorway, I turned my head and saw the figure of a man, an old man, at the bottom of my stairs, he stared up the cellar stairway at me. I stopped and looked again and he was gone. I closed the door back up in the wall, sealing it in. My family is happy that I did, they all got bad vibes from it being exposed.

One more thing happened at Christmas one year. It was a wicked blizzard and we lost the power, so I get the generator out and set up to to power my pellet stove. I did that for the heat. It was screaming outside so my daughter built a little shelter with blankets and chairs and we heated the house and watched a movie. Well we fell asleep and around 3 in the morning, something woke me and I looked into the hallway and this lady in a pale blue smock said,"what lovely music you listen to."

I went back and camped in the living room with my daughter. The next morning I asked my wife if she came downstairs in the middle of the night she said no. She was in bed all night, as I took care of the generator all night.

That was weird, and all my daughter's friends that have stayed at our place have seen the lady that I described to my wife. I have researched property owners and one person sticks out of all the rest; Florence E. She owned my property decades ago, maybe it was her we're being visited by.

My screen name is lightkeeper because of my dad, he was in the coast guard and retired. He has told me many ghost stories about the lighthouse he was stationed at. I don't want to be long winded I'll save those hauntings for another time. Thank you

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lightkeeper, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Jaxrox41310 (4 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-27)
Hi Lightkeeper! Fellow Mainer here! I hope you eventually share more of your paranormal experiences. They are quite intriguing and I always love to hear stories that take place here in Maine. Would love to hear some of your dada stories as well! 😁
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-09)
Lightkeeper,

I enjoyed your story and hope you'll change your mind on participating in the discussion.

Thanks for sharing 😊

Dee
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-09)
I really love Maine. Not that I've ever been lol, but from what all I've seen on movies etc, I've always thought it was such a beautiful place. Especially how fall looks there. I'm very curious to know where did the door you found led to? From what you wrote, it sounds like it was just a door, but I wasn't sure if I misunderstood if you were saying it went to another room in your house, or if it was just a door that separated rooms like to the kitchen and living room area? Thank you for sharing your story, and I look forward to reading your ones about your father, and the light house.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-08)
Lightkeeper welcome to YGS!

Thanks for sharing your experience and hope to read more stories from you!

Z 😁
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-08)
Hi Lightkeeper, that old Dutch colonial sounds like a fabulous house. I looked up Lovell, Maine - what a wonderful slice of heaven to live in! Stephen King country and all that hauntingly beautiful scenery, rich in atmosphere.

How curious that your cat reacted to the presence of the orb and tried to play with it. Plainly, he felt no fear of whatever it was. I would trust in our animals' instincts. Their senses are far keener and more accurate than ours.

I think it was just as well that you heeded your family's concerns about the door in the wall. Their fearfulness and the figure of the man you saw seem to indicate that the doorway could be a portal. If you hadn't closed it, maybe it could have exposed you and let something unwanted come through. Best not to take such chances... 😨

Florence sounds like a friendly presence though. Is it possible for you to share her photo with us? I wonder what music you were listening to that caught her attention. If you're not bothered by her visits, perhaps next Christmas you can leave a present or trinket for her under the tree. How about a flower in a bud vase with her name on a gift name? Or kind wishes for her to be at peace?

I look forward to hearing about your father's ghost stories about the lighthouse he was stationed at. Hopefully, you might even decide to join in our discussions about your experiences. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: