You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: It Lurked In The Night

Real Ghost Stories

It Lurked In The Night

 

This will be my first post EVER, regarding my personal experiences with the spiritual world. Only few know of this and the other stories I will tell in the future.

** Please be advised that names will be changed in this story to protect the identities who wish not to be named **

Back in 2014 I lived in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Renting a room in a Victorian mansion from two lovely people I knew very well and cared very deeply about. We will call these lovely people Piper and Stan. I lived there a separate time for 2 years alongside someone who was not good for me, I ended up moving back to New York City and decided to move back in 2014 alone.

Never have I experienced anything out of the ordinary while living in this house, only a few times where I did laundry in the small laundry room next to the kitchen. I felt like someone was hovering over me and it felt pretty heavy but overall I decided to always ignore that.

I worked a steady job, basically a 9-5 with only weekends off which didn't work in my favor because I never liked to go out and party on the weekends - except for this one weekend.

I go out with my best friend who lives in Pennsylvania her name will be Cait. She was very shy and I was the outgoing expressive one, so we definitely had a balance and I made her be a little more outgoing. We go to this party she got invited to on a Saturday, we weren't feeling it too much so we decided to go home.

She dropped me off at my house and I went through the back so I wouldn't disturb anyone sleeping by going through the front, it was about 2:30am. Going through the back meant either going straight up the stairs to the second floor (which is where my room was) or going through the kitchen, through the office, into the hall, and that's where the staircase was going to the second floor.

So I went through the kitchen way so I could grab some snacks and 2 water bottles so I wouldn't have to come all the way back downstairs again. As I unlocked the kitchen door I jumped and froze right in my spot, fixated on the usual coat rack that is there next to the refrigerator. Now... The coat rack didn't make me freeze in fear but what I saw standing there. I saw a very heavy set man (I can only see the figure not the face, it was just a dark shadow) he was very wide and was bald. I only stood there for a few more seconds staring into a blank dark face trying to depict what I'm seeing and I'm very certain he was staring right back at me. Seconds later I turned on the light and he disappears. Leaving just the one thin windbreaker hanging where it always is... A windbreaker is definitely not wide enough to make a shadow that looks heavy set. - regardless, I tried my best to ignore the cold feeling I felt internally in me, you know that cold feeling you get when something scares you?

I went forth and continued on to the laundry room into the office feeling an eerie presence lurking behind me but I just sped walk and sprinted upstairs and locked my door (as if that means anything.) I fell asleep instantly forgetting what had happened and now it's just a small memory but HERE is where things get really scary.

We're going to fast forward a few months, I'd like to say about 5 months living there. It was pretty quiet after that incident with 'The heavyset man." I didn't feel much after that except for the times I did laundry every week even during the day... That heavy lingered presence on my back.

5 months after that night encountering 'him' my friend Cait lived with me. We shared my huge room on the second floor and it was perfect for us. Plus since she was a friend of mine Piper and Stan (the landlords) had no issue in us sharing a room (I was and am very trusting) things were normal with me and Cait with sharing a room except I was a clean freak and she wasn't and most of the time she wasn't really home since she was seeing a guy a few blocks away.

Piper and Stan had a ton of animals. (I LOVED IT) 3 dogs, 3 cats, a cute parakeet. Sounds like a lot but the house was well big enough for every pet to run as free as it wanted. I'm a cat person so I always wanted the cats to be with me. Now telling the scariest night of my life that made me move away.

I took one of the cats, Beau up to my room to sleep with me for the night. I was home alone - I believe Piper and Stan were working graveyard shifts at that time and Cait was at that boy's house. So here it was just me and Beau Beau laying down watching movies on my laptop.

Let me quickly explain how the second floor layout is so you don't get confused during the story. There are 4 bedrooms up there. My landlords room was closest to the steps (Keep IN MIND that the stairs have a nightlight plugged in to light the stairs up at night which I can see the dim light under my door.), her daughter's room was to the left which contained a bathroom in that the people on the second floor would share. (Her daughter moved out) then there was my room which had a huge closet and a locked door that went into the bathroom of the daughter's room, and beside my room was a smaller bedroom which no one was living in at the time. I was the only one living on that floor besides my landlords and Cait. This night I was home alone for once. - back to the story -

So I'm in bed watching a movie and the cat is sound asleep, Cait said she was coming back home so I was waiting up for her to chill. It became almost 3am when everything weird started to happen. That door I was talking about, the one that is locked from both sides that leads to the bathroom is where it all starts... Beau bolted her head up at the same time I turned my head at that door. I felt this figure that felt very dark and very heavy. I felt death was definitely behind that door. Me and Beau just keep looking toward that door and a few moments later I hear walking (when the house is quiet you can hear every sound on the carpet and hardwood floors. Every creak.) so I hear walking around in the bathroom like if someone was home but more like walking back and forth in the bathroom. My heart started to race and the cat clearly looks scared herself but she's not leaving my side or hiding away. A few seconds after that I hear the walking leave the bathroom and then continue on in my landlords daughters room. Walking around like it was their room, slow steps. After that, the slow steps start creeping out of the room I can hear the creaking of the wooden floors with every step and Beau's head was following every movement outside the door like she could see it through the door. This thing started to walk closer and closer to my door until finally it was in front of my door, I could hear slow deep breaths in front of my door and from my bed I looked to see if that dim light from the staircase was peeking through my door... It wasn't... It was complete blackness as if that light was never on (it's automatic it would've been impossible.) at that moment I started to lightly panic, wanting to cry but didn't because I felt it would be easier to capture me if I showed fear... I don't know, it was just my thought at the time... It stood in front of my door with the same deep breaths for what felt like a whole 5 minutes... It was probably 2 but the intensity made it seem like 5. My heart was racing and I didn't know what to do...

After that the slow walking moved from my room to the smaller room next door to mine... What did I see? The dim light from the staircase underneath my door! There was something there! Standing there either waiting for me to come out or watching me through the cracks. Moments later I start to hear crashing and things being thrown in the other bedroom. I let out a small shriek since I wasn't expecting any of the loud clashing I heard.

I texted my landlords asking if they were home and they told me they wouldn't be back until 8am so I texted Cait asking if she was coming home and she told me she was just going to stay at that boy's house. At this point the panic really started to set in. I called my friend from NYC we'll call him Token, telling him everything that had just happened and thankfully he believed me and told me to be calm and that he would stay on the phone with me until I fell asleep. I stayed up all night until the sun came up with my door locked as it was to begin with. I fell asleep around 7:45am.

A knock on my door at 8:30am woke me up (I have not left my room since I entered it). It was Piper. She asked me if I had any people over last night and if they used the small room next to me. Confused and kind of dazed I say "no? I was alone that's why I texted you I was hearing weird things" she then tells me to look at the room and my mouth drops right open. The mattress was tossed over upside down on the floor alongside the foam that was on top of it, there was cotton from the pillows all over the carpet, and scratches on the black wooden dresser that was never there. I swore up and down that I don't know what happened and was completely stunned by it because that means I wasn't dreaming or imagining things. That all actually happened. As much I loved my landlords and they loved me I couldn't explain to her what happened to me that night or even said anything about it to her at all. I felt she wouldn't believe me as much as I knew she would, or I would be looked at as crazy.

This was the worst night I ever had to live on my own. The rest of my stories will be scary but not as bad as this one since other times I had the option to leave. Feel free to leave any comments or questions... Hope you enjoyed reading; it was not fun to relive that typing it all in full detail.

Have a blessed day.

- Ash.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bkash, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bkash (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-21)
Oh and by the way, it goes a little deeper than this which I'll explain in my later stories... This was by far the scariest and most Vivid situation like this. I grew up being around grandmothers who could see things and they don't mind it... They're not even afraid have their stories... And maybe that's why I sometimes get the situations I do, I have a small linger maybe
bkash (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-21)
Hello every one else! I answered most of your questions on Spockie's comment back I gave! I hope that answers more questions you guys I have had.
It was not an intruder. The security system would've spooked the person away (no security system went off or the bell from the door frame.)
And yes, I'm so very grateful the cat was with me. I know she wouldn't have been able to defend me but it definitely helped having her there and knowing all of this wasn't just in my head, I had something to share my fear with... If only cats could talk right? Haha. I just also cannot see the fact of someone just destroying the smallest room up on my floor that had no vaulables to it. It's also very easy to get into my room so if they really wanted to all it would take is a hard kick or a very rough shoulder impact. I did end up telling my landlords they've had their share of paranormal activities but like I said not as bad as this particular night. I know it seemed very wrong for me to just up and leave and you are all right it really was and I felt awful about it for a long time but they ended up understanding very much. Not only because of that incident but because I was already struggling and overworking myself so they figured going back with family was for the best since I wouldn't have to be paying them. I still visit them until this day (except we eat out) and we talk regularly. They're like my second parents:) (Read my Spockie comment for more of info on that) but thank you for everyone's comments I appreciate them all good or bad... Everyone can choose to believe this or not but considering I saw a big man in my kitchen and disappeared when I turned the light on I 100% believe this was paranormal.
bkash (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-21)
[at] spockie - I definitely told Cait what happened that entire night, she too has experienced her fair share of things there but not as bad as that night... I wouldn't believe it could be an intruder (that would've been my first thought) 1. If they really wanted to get me and knew I was the only one in the house, they wouldn't just destroy a little mattress, scratch a wooden dresser, and pop a pillow... They would actually make an effort to get me inside of my room... The lock was flimsy so it would've been very easy.
2. Piper and Stan had top notch security systems on both the back and front door... Whenever someone came in you heard the sound of a doorbell (when you step on the frame of the door on the bottom it'll go off) and a ringing from the system until you turned it off with a code. That's the only reason why
I did end up telling the landlords and they were very spooked by it. They assured me it wasn't an intruder but they couldn't explain what it could've been. They say the only paranormal things they've encountered were small... (seeing things through the corner of your eye, shadows, things knocking down from their fireplace and office desks, things being hidden and then turning up a week later... Small weird things like that.) I'm open to any other suggestions you may have
bkash (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-21)
[at] lucia wow I didn't even think of it that way which makes it much more scarier... You're absolutely right it very much could've broke the door down if it really wanted to but I feel it was more of toying and playing with my head... A way of torture... I don't know...
bkash (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-21)
[at] haven Geez! I really wish there was some sort of tagging feature on this! But to answer that, I most certainly did speak to Cait about everything and she was just as terrified even though she wasn't there. The only thing she said is that she feels the same heavy linger I felt in the beginning of my story. (Especially in the laundry room) and oops! Sorry! I totally messed that up I meant to say I was pretty much afraid to tell them because I thought maybe they'd think it would be crazy but I should've then because they loved me and would've listened and turns out; they've experienced their fair share of paranormal things in that house but nothing as far as I did...
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-09)
Wow! That's terrifying! I think it is at least possible that it could have been a very human intruder. However, there have been plenty of reports of ghosts interfering with light so I don't consider the blocking of the light necessarily indicative of it not having been something paranormal. Jeez... Wild to think that, in this instance, it having been a ghost is (at least in my opinion) SO MUCH less frightening!

Perhaps a but of research might answer the question. First I would check local records (newspapers, Nextdoor app, police reports etc) to see if there had been a series of break-ins in the neighborhood. Sometimes you can even get details of the crime to see if anything is similar. Also as you go look for any reports of drug activity. Then time for property research. You can generally find the ownership history of any structure at city hall. You can also look online to see if there are any news stories of violent crimes etc at the address. Long time residents and historical societies are also very valuable resources. Keep in mind that the history of the property began long before the house was ever constructed so if you find nothing on the house, don't give up there:-)

I gather that you no longer live there so internet resources may be your best bet short of phone calls etc. If you are still in contact with your former land lords, I would encourage you to at least consider talking to them about this. They seem to have cared about you a great deal - people who love you don't judge you, especially not for a situation where you were truly frightened- and they may not have understood why you chose to move out so suddenly. The conversation may do a lot of good for both sides. They may also have some highly illuminating information to share whether it be regarding their own experiences in the house (which they may have kept to themselves out of their own sense of doubt and/or to keep from scaring you) or pertinent history of the house and/or neighborhood.

P.S. I was fortunate enough to live with beloved friends of the family when I was younger and had nowhere else to go - I felt the need to move out rather suddenly and that damaged the relationship in a way that I will always regret... That's why my comments may have gotten more personal than they ought to have, I was seeing so much of myself in your experience - I am sorry if I have overstepped ❤
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-05)
Scary story.

I just wonder if it was capable of doing so much damage in the one room why it didn't just break your door down or bang on the door to get in?
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-05)
I'm with Amor and Spockie, it does sound like there was a human intruder, they were probably frustrated that there was nothing valuable and trashed the room. You never know they might also have been high on something. Thank God nothing happened to you.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-10-04)
Why didn't you tell the owners or Calt you thought an intruder was in the house, or call 911? You don't have to let on it might be something paranormal; just that you are hearing somebody in the house.
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-10-03)
Yikes! Either it was a real intruder or it was something with such force. The cat recognized how sinister it was and stayed with you. What made me jump out was that it was trying to reach you. First through the locked bathroom door, then through the proper door of your bedroom, and when it couldn't, it destroyed the unoccupied room.

If it's a ghost, why would it block the light from the staircase? Do you think it's a real person living in your attic or something? You could have called 911. This is really scary.

Did you ask Stan and Piper afterwards if they felt anything in the house? Or if they have experienced anything after you left?

Good thing you got Beau that time. She probably protected you. I wonder why the dogs did not sense it.

Thank you for sharing and take care.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-03)
Oh wow 😨 I couldn't imagine going through a night like that. Especially seeing the aftermath of it the next morning! It definitely raises a lot of questions as to what it was, and what it wanted? Obviously it did not have good intentions, and to hear what all it did, as to being able to throw a mattress, and rip apart pillows, including scratching up wood furniture, makes you wonder if you had continued to stay there, what else would it have done? I get that you feared being considered crazy, over what you experienced that night, but with you being close with the landlords, why did you feel that you couldn't at least try to tell them about what you experienced that night? I'm sure with them living there much longer than you, they most likely had experiences of their own there too. Especially with how strong it seemed to be, I would assume that it's been building itself up for awhile then 😕 Thank you for sharing your experience with us here, and I can't wait to read about your other experiences you've had since 😊
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-03)
Hi Ash -

Did you move out after this? Did you talk to Cait about this and do you know if she ever felt, heard or saw anything? What did your landlords say, did they think it was you? What did you tell them happened?

Sorry for all the questions, I Also don't understand your statement "I knew she wouldn't believe me as much as I knew she would". That's confusing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: