You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts And Dungeons

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts And Dungeons

 

I have had many ghost experiences in my life and have always considered myself to be a very spiritual person. With that being said, I have always been extremely cautious when it comes to the supernatural. I won't even let a ouija board or tarot cards near me. I just don't like to mess with things because I know that I draw them in and have worked too hard on building an astral shield to let them in. However, that doesn't mean that I don't encounter some weird things. In my experience, I know that spirits are drawn to those who can feel them...

I began attending a pretty old college last year as a vocal music major. This meant that I had and still have to spend hours in the basement of the theater practicing my repertoire. Since I've always been into ghost stories I decided to do some research about my school and turns out, the theater is a hot spot for activity between the founder of the building and a little girl haunting the space. The founder of the building has been known to show up in practice rooms and offer instruction to those practicing which even I have a hard time believing. This sprit I do not fear, however, the little girl really alarms me. Usually, if there is no reason for a child to haunt a building, it is my understanding that this is a demon taking the form of something less threatening.

One night, at around one in the morning, I was having a particularly difficult time practicing.

Before I get into what happened, I feel I must explain a few things. The tiny practice room itself has a small square window on the door which looks out into the center where an upright piano stands. Each room has a piano and a very old metal music stand that creeks when you try to adjust its height. The walls are very thin, even people just listening to a youtube video can be heard from the next room over. Since the rooms are in the basement, everything from above, in the theater, can be heard.

Once again, this story happened at around 1AM. I was the only one in the building.

As I began to practice, things started getting... Strange. I heard, very clearly, a man's voice in my ear, causing me to whip around. Now, I am a paranoid person, so I brushed this off and just continued to practice. Then, from the next room over, I heard one of the music stands slide up. I peaked my head out of the practice room to see that I was still alone in the basement. I began to suspect that some spirit was probably messing with me or trying to get my attention.

I heard doors opening and closing, whispers, footsteps and even a tap on the shoulder at one point. Finally, I had had enough. This was far from my first supernatural experience and so I thought I knew how to deal with this. I said aloud that if something was trying to contact me, I wouldn't be able to help them, and that since they were haunting the theater they must enjoy music. I told them they were more than welcome to listen to me practice.

I thinks that's what angered them.

The entire place went eerily silent and I felt that perhaps whatever had been bothering me had left. As I opened my mouth to continue singing, from the next room over, I heard the music stand CRASH to the ground! That was enough, I began packing my things and as I looked out of the small window in the door, I saw a girl's head from the eyes up, peering at me. She had long black hair and her eyes pierced the darkness. I actually screamed when I saw this and ran out of the basement as quickly as I possibly could.

The next day, I told my friend about my experience. She said I was crazy, but decided to write 'Ghosts and Dungeons' on the sign to the practice rooms.

I haven't had any other experiences in these practice rooms, however, I refuse to go down to the basement alone at night. There is something in that space. It may not be sinister, however, I don't want to be down there to find out if it is.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, echospeckp, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Violet-Tartan (8 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-08-05)
Speaking of haunted theaters here in Oregon. I had a really weird experience at the pentacle Theatre outside of Salem/ West Salem/Independence.
Something pulled my hair. I'll talk more about it when I write it up. There is more
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-10-23)
Ok so I did a bit of research, as per usual.

Oldest college - Willamette University (founded 1842) - haunted dormitory.
Http://willamettecollegian.com/main/no-ghost-zone/

Elsinore Theater - 2 blocks from Willamette University:
Http://www.hauntedhouses.com/states/or/elsinore_theatre.htm

Pacific University (founded 1849 - Forest Grove) - Knight Hall - one-time music building haunted by 2 spirits & Theater in the Grove - haunted by a little girl
+
University of Portland (founded 1901) -*little girl haunts the basement of the university theater:
Http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/oregon.htm
*"She is said to be seen in the basement storage, on the stage, and in the draft rooms late at night while students worked. She often tries to touch students and changes the station or volume on the radio when students are drafting... She has often "hung out" with students late at night. She is dressed in a Victorian 1900s or so dress and hat with lace trim."

For my money, it's University of Portland. If so, this is a known haunt though I only turned up one reference to it. 1901 qualifies as "pretty old" for the West coast is the US.

I would encourage the OP to reconsider the assumption that the child's spirit is a demon. As many of the articles linked explain, there are a great many mishaps that can befall a child in a theater - falling from balconies, fire, trampling, earth quake, etc. Or a child who passed young may have been a frequent visitor to said theater and harbored a deep passion for it - thereby returning to it in death - you know how kids develop a sense of "ownership" for things and places they love (I saw the AMTRAK trains as mine when I was little).

Below are other references to haunted theaters in Oregon but none that seemed so relevant as those above.
Khun Theater - Lebanon, OR - movie theater haunted by little girl
Https://www.oregonhauntedhouses.com/real-haunt/kuhn-theatre.html

List of Oregon's Haunted Theaters:
Https://www.oregonhauntedhouses.com/real-haunts/theaters.aspx

List of Oregon's Famous Hauntings - several theaters:
Https://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2016/10/31_of_oregons_most_haunted_pla.html

As for how the OP knew the girl's hair was long - maybe since she could not see any cut ends, she simply assumed? One could at least tell that it wasn't a bowl or pixie cut. Take these images for example - one can only see the individual from the eyes up but your brain automatically extrapolates and assumes the rest:
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jimmy_peek_blue_eyes.png

Https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/little-girl-peeking-behind-copy-space-24449017

Https://www.fotosearch.com/OJO005/pe0061930/

There's little to see but still your mind makes pretty decent assumptions based on cut, style, and hair weight.

My university too provided rooms for study and rehearsal late at night for students - I had assumed it was fairly standard. Security guards were always on duty to prevent disaster.

As for the shenanigans with the equipment. I think the OP and University would know if there was a rat or stray cat problem significant enough that they would be meddling with equipment in the basements of their buildings. That would have to be quite a large rat to knock over a music stand and a very talented cat to deftly adjust one without benefit of thumbs.

I too am curious about the piercing eyes- was the OP rehearsing in the dark? Did the eyes glow?
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-20)
When I was in college, there were facilities that allow students to work overnight, especially activities that require thorough preparation. The university permits the use of specific buildings and halls and mostly arts and letters students make use of them. The security guards will be notified once you exit the premises.

I'm impressed, Echo, that you know some background of paranormal things but it could also be the reason that frightened you. The crashing stand on the other room, for instance, could be caused by rats or cats, who knows. The one that stands out here is the apparition. Others can be caused by your own fears.

If you saw a girl through a window of the door (I'm not going to say it's your active imagination at work), did you have to go through that door to exit? What did you mean by her eyes piercing through the darkness?

I hope no other students were trying to scare you. Take care.

Cheers,
Amor
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-10-20)
Hi Echo,

Everyone is asking if your professors know about your nocturnal activities. My question is does Security know about this? To my knowledge NO College will allow students to use a building that should be locked at 1 A.M. It's a law suit waiting to happen because it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

I don't understand how you think that a spirit of a child that has no reason to haunt a building is a demon. Do you have proof that this spirit has no attachment to the building or the land?

Red
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-18)
Hi Echo,

I have the same question as Lady-glow regarding the girl's face and your mention of an astral shield. I'm surprised you're able to practice in the basement of your college at 1 am, and by yourself too. Are your professors aware of this?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-16)
"If you were able to only see the top of the girl's head, how do you her hair was long?"🤔

Sorry, typo, I meant to say:
"If you were able to only see the top of the girl's head, how do you KNOW her hair was long?"🤔

Like RCRuskin, I wonder if something tragic is keeping the girl attached to that basement. Did you find anything pointing to the possible identity of the child during your research, or any reason for a demon to haunt the 'dungeon'? 😕
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-16)
", I saw a girl's head from the eyes up... She had long black hair..."

If you were able to only see the top of the girl's head, how do you her hair was long? 🤔

I would likr to learn more about your 'astral shield', could you elaborate?
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-16)
Hi, Echo.

I was going to ask what is so scary about a child haunting a place, and then you answered my question. And if it isn't that, there is, in my opinion, something tragic keeping the child here.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: