You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Supernatural Entity In My Home As A Child

Real Ghost Stories

Supernatural Entity In My Home As A Child

 

For privacy reasons I will not share the exact location this took place, but I will state it occurred in a newly built house in Southern California. I currently still live in this house. This event took place in the late 1990's.

One night when I was about 8 years old, I was sleeping in my sister's room with her. She is 4 years younger then me and we sometimes slept in each other's bedrooms together as little kids. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and she was asleep. I didn't know if my mother and father were also asleep, but all the lights in the house were off, which was normal for that time of night. I wanted to know if my mom or dad were awake, so I stood on the bed I had been sleeping on, and looked through the open bedroom door through our hallway, and into the living room of our first story house. From the bed I could see the backdoor to our backyard, and part of our living room fireplace right of the backdoor.

It was then I saw the supernatural entity. It appeared to be a humanoid figure in a white cloak. The entire figure was made of a bright white light that didn't seem to illuminate the room around it. It's face was hidden beneath the hood of the cloak. I couldn't tell if it seemed male or female. It looked slightly shorter then an average adult, and seemed thin. It held its hands together in front of itself and silently paced back and forth in front of our fireplace. After seeing it pace back and forth a few times, I was overcome with fear and tried to silently lay back down in bed and fall asleep, which I evidently did.

The next morning I told my family about what I saw. I searched for any evidence of what happened the night before, but was unable to produce any. I don't know if any of my family believed me, but my mother said she thought it was scary that I saw something in our house when I told her the next morning.

I haven't seen anything like this since that event. I never brought up the event with my family again, but I've occasionally thought about it throughout my life and tell the story sometimes to friends and coworkers when discussing the paranormal and supernatural. I wanted to post this story to document this event. Now as an adult, I still wonder what occurred that night so many years ago. I think it was some kind of spirit, maybe a ghost, but our house was brand new, and nobody had or has passed away in it yet. The land the house is built on was a field of chaparral before the neighborhood was built, and I don't know much else about the land unfortunately. I hope someday I will find a answer to what I saw.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Chris1989, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-10-18)
Chris,

Thank you for responding. I just wanted to clarify my question regarding prayers around the time the figure was seen... The prayers didn't have to be for a traumatic event, it could have been for something simpler. I don't know what would elicit prayers from, say, your mother or father, but maybe considering this, something will come to mind.

I should have been a bit clearer, my apologies. Thanks again for getting back to us. 😊
Dee
Chris1989 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2018-10-18)
Tweed, I wish I could remember better, but to the best of my recollection I just wanted to see if anyone was awake. However, it also seems like to much of a coincidence to have been random.

Dee, Based on my memory of the next morning, I would have to guess that my family wasn't experienceing a traumatic event at that time. I remember everyone going about their normal buisness and being happy, but not knowing what to make of my story. I agree that the white light that composed the entity may suggest it was good and not evil, however it's intentions seemed and still seem to ambiguous to make any conclusions based on what I can saw and can recount.

The community here at ygs has been really awesome. Thanks for giving me this platform to share my experience.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-10-18)
Hi Chris,

This is a fascinating experience. I read through the comments and saw you mentioned that your family is sort of religious. I'm wondering if you remember anything that happened around the time you saw the figure that would cause your parents to pray or ask for protection/help? The way you described the glowing entity had me thinking of some sort of protective spirit. The pacing could be interpreted as watching over your family, perhaps a guardian of sorts. Typically, a figure illuminated by a white light could be seen as angelic.

Your reaction could have been caused by the fear of the unknown (a common reaction), or not understanding what you were seeing. The figure didn't cause harm or appear to acknowledge your presence. Just a thought anyway.

Thanks for sharing a great read. 😊

Dee
Tweed (35 stories) (2491 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-10-18)
Hi Chris, loved reading your account, as I had one very similar!

The apparition I saw looked made of light, but didn't light the room. No cloak or robes though, mine looked like a stick figure. I wrote about this here:
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22337
I find it very interesting we both woke up in the middle of the night and found an apparition, just hanging out lol. Do you remember if you had a strange feeling to stand on the bed that night, to check things out? Or was this the sort of thing you'd do normally? I'm curious about that because sometimes with paranormal encounters people describe a feeling, or instinct drawing their attention to the mighty unexpected lol.

Thanks for sharing. 😊
Chris1989 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2018-10-17)
Thanks for the replies. To answer the question is my family religious, the answer is no not really, and our house has never been blessed. If it weren't for this one inncident, which is really the only evidence or the supernatural I've ever witnessed, I'd be pretty certain this kind of stuff is fake. I think unfortunatly if there was a death here, maybe of a catholic priest as was suggested, the history has been lost to time. Native Americans, missonaries, and early settlers all inhabited this area but their activites just weren't very well documented, which is a shame. I think this was a "drop-in" that I just so happened to witness. I kind of regret not trying to interact with whatever this was, so if I ever see anything like this agian I'll definitly confront it and maybe try for a video. It may be dangerous I guess, but it seems kind of worth it just to maybe know more.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-10-17)
I'm going with the head-knockers on this one. 😜 What's the religious situation in the house?

It could have just been someone passing through, or a "drop-in" if you will. You're fear was probably based on the fact that someone you didn't know was in the house and being so young, you just went back to sleep.

As for the history of the land, you'd need to delve deeper into than what was there before the house was built. So. Cal. Is full of fascinating Native American history and the Catholic monks of the time could be numerous and ruthless. The apparition you described sounds like it could be one of them.

Thanks for sharing Chris and welcome to YGS!
RCRuskin (9 stories) (815 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-16)
I'm knocking heads with Lady Glow again? Maybe we should get checked for concussions. I do have a hard skull. 😁

I was thinking religiously also, but I wonder if anyone in your family is particularly religious? Was your family's home blessed?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2018-10-16)
Welcome to YGS.

Chris - your experience is really interesting and I admire the fact that, being so young, you didn't freaked out.

Just because the house was brand new and there wasn't any recorded history of a death in the premises, doesn't necessarily mean that some person couldn't have died in the area when nothing was there.

By the way you describe the apparition, it makes me think about it like some sort of monk or religious person. Do you know if, at some point in the past, there was a mission in the area?

Anyway, I'm glad your family didn't make fun of you not told you that ghosts don't exist.👍

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: