You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Wiseman's View Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Wiseman's View Ghosts

 

If you are from NC you have probably heard the story of the Brown Mountain Lights. There are many different versions that are probably irrelevant to my experience but that's beside the point.

About a year ago, 4 of my friends and I were at Wiseman's View off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We decided to go up there without flash lights or lanterns. We had walked the whole trail and went to the ledge to watch the lights. We watched them for about an hour. It was close to midnight so it was completely dark except for the lights in the valley and our cell phones. My boyfriend and his friend and I were cold and tired of watching the lights so we headed back to the jeep, leaving the other 2 people behind.

We were walking up the trail, Heather was a few feet in front of Justin and me, we were walking side by side. I happened to glance over and I saw 2 green eyes, standing about 6 feet in the air. I screamed so Justin looked over and saw them too. We yelled for Heather and we all took off running back to the jeep.

We got in and locked the doors waiting for Chris and Lacy. We waited for about half an hour and they still hadn't made it back. We were starting to worry that they had fell off the ledge or the "eyes" had got them. Out of nowhere we saw them running and screaming toward the jeep. We unlocked the doors and let them in.

Before I told them what we saw, they told us they saw the exact same thing in the exact same place. We didn't have cell phone service so there was no way someone could have let them know about what we saw. On the way back down the road I kept looking in the woods and I could see the eyes. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an animal and I know I wasn't seeing things because everyone else saw it too. What could it have been?

A few weeks later, I went back to Wiseman's View. We went in the daylight this time because we were to scared to go at night. We were sitting at the ledge telling ghost stories about people falling off that very ledge and dying. It a long drop. Probably close to half a mile or so. As we were talking, I happened to look down and I saw, or thought I saw, someone off another ledge about 30 feet down. It's impossible to get to that ledge without using some type of climbing equipment. I don't know if I was just letting my imagination get to me or what.

There are also stories about people killing themselves up that trail because not many people go there. My step mom was telling me a story about when her son went to ASU in Boone. There was a guy that went to school with him that had disappeared. The cops were getting desperate so they called in a psychic investigator. Wiseman's View is about an hour from the campus, but the psychic told the police right away that they would find their answers there.

When they got there, he was hanging from a tree about 40 feet in the air. I saw that tree and to me, it looks impossible for someone to climb. I don't know if that part of the story was made up or if it was real, but I did read the article about the student. They said it was suicide, but if he was really hanging from that tree, he had help from something.

I could go on for days about the stories from Wiseman's View, but I think you get the picture. Could the same thing be causing all the deaths or could they be completely unrelated?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tarasquad, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hi Tara,
Sure. The same thing could be the cause of all the deaths in that area. Then again they could all be non related.
I feel that they are all unrelated, however, as it is an out of the way, pretty secluded place. If a person truly wanted to commit suicide, with out someone there to stop them, or wanted to commit murder, without witnesses, they would seek out an isolated spot.
Thank you.
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
Hi Tarasquad! I really liked your story. I lived in NC since 1977 and am very familiar with the story about the, Brown Mountain Lights. I lived about an hour and a half away from there and visited the mountains a lot during the summers and some fall seasons as well. It is a beautiful but rugged and heavily forested area. I too would get the creeps walking and hiking sometimes. That is why I would NEVER camp overnight!
I totally believe you saw the lights and more than you bargained for.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
Generally, an urban legend has some facts or events to help facilitate the story.

I had never heard of this area, but after your story my curiosity is now peaked, I will certainly do some research on the area!

God Bless!
tarasquad (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
we weren't planning on going up there that night but we were bored so we figured we go and check out the lights... You can see different lights on different nights and the view is beautiful... We didn't realize we didn't have a flash light until we got up there... The tree the guy hung himself on is actually marked but I don't know that I can find it again... I just stumbled onto it that day and I hadn't heard that story until after all this happened... I haven't been up there since october, but if I go and something else happens I'll let you know...
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
Hi Tarasquad. I'm not familiar with the area or the stories you mention so I'm a bit confused. Is this a haunted area? Were you there because you heard stories involving this large, green eyed creature (or something similar)? If so, it seems you were prepared for something to happen, since you didn't take any lights with you. I would tend to think you might have given yourselves a scare if that's what you were expecting. This is what I read the story as, if I'm wrong, sorry.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
While not acquainted with the area personally, I have heard of the Brown Mtn. Lights. It seems that with all the "stories" about the area it has achieved urban legegend status. Seperating fact from fiction would be next to impossible. I do believe you and your friends experienced something, whether actual or imaginary. Sometimes the lines between actual and imaginary are so thin it doesn't make any difference. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I did enjoy it.

FRAWIN 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
How could you tell which tree it was? Just curious. Thanks for sharing this story.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
I been near that area your talking about. But there are so many stories of the Blue Ridge Parkway in the first place. I didn't live in NC but been there a lot as my ex-hubby is from Sc but we been through the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's quite pretty.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: