You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady At The Santa Barbara Mission

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady At The Santa Barbara Mission

 

I grew up in California, and as a young child I was told by my Grandmother I had the gift. I was not quite sure what she meant being about 7 years old at the time. Some background on my grandmother she was 50% Cherokee and into what we would call white magic. We might also say a medicine woman. She also seemed to be able to communicate with animals even wild ones. Growing up I remember she had a pet Blue Jay and a pet crow with one leg named Hoppy.

My father would often comment that I had such an imagination when I would mention things that I saw or smelled. She could see that this made me feel bad so one day she sat me down, and she told me that when you smell scents no one else smells and see things no one else sees its not your imagination. This made me feel better, she also said to ignore my father's negative comments because he cannot see.

At the age of 10 my father took the family to Santa Barbara Mission for a picnic and exploring. After lunch my parents wanted to go look at the flower garden but my brother and I had no interest in this so we went into the church area. We liked all the statues and old paintings, but the place was a little spooky. Next we went out the side door into a back area of the church which is also another beautiful garden but also had many graves. My brother and I were wandering around and I heard a voice from behind me say "I know you." I turned around and saw a Hispanic or native American looking woman. I noticed she had the strong smell of freshly cut roses. Again I heard "I know you", the funny thing was her mouth did not move. Next she pointed to an area with a short brick wall, next to the back wall of the church building. I turned and asked what she was pointing at but she was gone.

I went to look in this area behind the short brick wall. I found a grave with the name Tomasa Burton. You wouldn't notice it unless you had been told where to look, it is almost hidden. I thought to myself "that is strange she has the same last name as me". It was then my brother said,"who were you talking to?"

I said "the lady", and he asked "what lady? I have been here the whole time and didn't see anyone."

I could still smell the strong aroma of roses.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bigwilly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-15)
In case you decide to participate in the discussion, I would like to ask if your Grandmother was related to Tomasa Burton.

Nice read.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-14)
Greetings, Bigwilly, and welcome.

I had a quick look around, based upon your story, and found this: www.findagrave.com/memorial/19960721/maria-tomasa_francisca_emigdia-burton. Is this the grave you saw?

Just curious.

Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: