You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Good Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Good Ghost

 

During my early years of growing up, ages 6 to 12, my family lived on the campus of a boys reformatory school on the outskirts of Rocky Mount, NC. My dad was a councilor there.

We live in a small 2 bedroom house. My mom and dad in one room. I and my 2 sisters in the other. On many nights I had witnessed a figure with a long robe or gown come into our room and seem to stand or kneel at the foot of my sisters' bed. All that I can remember now is being afraid and turning toward the wall. I don't remember if I ever mentioned it to my parents of even my sisters back then.

Years later, after we are grown, in jest, I mentioned it to them one day as we sat around talking about the old days. Much to my surprise they both had seen the same thing I had. Don't know if there is anything to it, but I have always wondered did whoever lived there before or after us see the same image.

The house is still there as far as I know. It is actually a minimum security prison for women now. The house was old when we lived there back in the 1960's and early 1970's. I don't know how all this works. Could someone have died in this house before we lived there? Was this a guardian angel? Lots of questions run through your mind as you get older and reflect back on things from the past. It is really weird when years and years later you talk to someone who saw or experienced the same thing you did, but for some reason had never talked about it. We all grew up and went our separate ways in life, and like most families get together on occasion and talk about the good old days.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jhollowell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rajine (14 stories) (741 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-02-26)
I'm sure that must have been really scary for a kid to experience, it could be a wandering spirit or even a spirit of a previous owner.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-15)
The entity seems to have behaved rather like a protector - perhaps you were only afraid because you registered an unknown intruder in your bedroom - the fear coming from strangeness rather than the entity's intent.

My great uncle went to a "boys home" like that back in the 1940s/50s - ran away as many times as he could, poor kid. It wasn't that the facility was all bad, he was just so homesick.

I worked with a fellow by your name when I worked for Colonial Williamsburg (so left in 2012 when I moved) - you wouldn't happen to have any relatives in Va, would you?
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-09)
The campus was a reformatory school and spirits seem to be attracted to places like this; places where there is a lot of inner turmoil and strong emotion, both good or bad. This is also why a lot of spirits are attracted to churches. What this spirit was, I cannot say. It might have actually been protecting your family from attack by evil spirits.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-04)
Welcome to YGS.

Hi jhollowell.

This is very interesting. It's hard to say who or what this figure was without knowing the history of the place but, since you mentioned it was an old, it wouldn't be a surprise if it has seen its share of events with the potential of leaving an everlasting energy trapped within its walls.

Perhaps a previous resident used to pray on that spot during their life and was just doing the same, minus a physical body.
If this is the only activity you and your family witnessed, it seems like it wasn't negative nor was trying to harm anyone, though I imagine it was frightening to see something like that, specially for a young kid.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: