You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Van Horn, Texas: Disembodied Voices & Sounds

Real Ghost Stories

Van Horn, Texas: Disembodied Voices & Sounds

 

*My following account was brought to life in Episode 3 of Blood Moon Podcast.

The day after Christmas in 2009, my wife and I took a road trip from California to Texas. After a full day of driving, we stayed over night at a hotel where my wife made reservations. The hotel was located in a small town called Van Horn. At the time, the town was deserted and the hotel was the only business in operation. In passing, my wife mentioned to me that the person she spoke to on the phone claimed to have had unexplained events at the hotel.

We arrived at the hotel after midnight. After checking in went to our room. The room had one bed and one closet. The bathroom was to the right of the closet not far from the room's entrance. The bathroom's toilet was to the left, the sink to the right and the shower was along the back wall. I decided to unwind and read the Hockey News Magazine while my wife slept. After twenty minutes or so I turned out the lights and fell asleep.

Suddenly, I woke up to the sound of water splashing and swirling. It sounded like it was coming from the tub in our bathroom. It was very loud as if someone was bathing or perhaps, struggling. It didn't sound as if it was coming through the walls or from outside. I rolled over to see that my wife was sound asleep. A sense of urgency prompted me to grab my flashlight. By the time I got to the bathroom the splashing had stopped.

I walked into the bathroom and it was empty. No signs of life or activity. I checked all around the bathroom for water or wetness. The water was not running in the sink or in the tub. The tub itself was dry to the touch. The toilet wasn't running and the sink was dry as a bone. Then, I looked out the room's window to see if there was a swimming pool. There wasn't a pool, just the hotel's parking lot. Later, I found out that the hotel does not even have a pool.

My wife woke up from my rummaging and I explained to hear what happened. She said didn't hear the splashing and promptly rolled over and fell asleep. Checking the clock, I saw that it was after 5 o'clock in the morning but it was still pitch black outside. Exhausted, I gave up my search and went back to bed.

While sleeping, I heard whispering in my ear. I woke up but I kept my eyes closed. I heard a female voice ask, "Who did this to us?" I opened my eyes and responded, "Who did what to you?" The cascade of whispers moved over to my wife's side of the bed. Again, the voice asked, "Who did this to us?" Expecting to see someone, I looked over to my wife's side of the bed but no one was present.

I grabbed my flashlight to look for vents to see if the voice could have traveled from another room. Nothing. I couldn't hear voices coming through the walls either. The door was locked therefor no one could enter. Finally, I realized that something invisible was in the room.

I made an effort to communicate with whomever or whatever spoke to me. Once again, I ended up waking my wife. I told her what I experienced. Yet again, she said she did not hear the whispering. At that point, I checked the time and it was 7:00am.

When we were checking out, we asked the owner if anyone was staying in the rooms either side of our room. She told us that both rooms were vacant and strangely enough, we were the only people to occupy that floor. I shared with her my experiences. According to the owner, I was the first to specifically report disembodied voices. She then shared stories of unexplained events witnessed by others. On one interesting note, we did learn of a rumor that long ago a female was murdered at the hotel.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BatCatOwl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-02-26)
If I had to summarize, I think there's more than one spirit in that place, do you know how old that hotel is? By finding that out I'm pretty sure that you will be able to find out the history of that place.
BatCatOwl (1 stories) (4 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-04)
Hi Lady-Glow. Thank you for the comments and the welcome! I have not looked into the alleged murder. It was mentioned by the owner of the hotel. I also remember her saying that they were trying to find records to see if it was true. It used to be a bank decades ago. Van Horn was essentially a ghost town (no pun intended) and the hotel was the only business open at the time.

I figured if people enjoy reading such accounts, they might like to listen to them with a soundtrack and SFX. Coming from the ad world I've learned that sometimes you just have to put yourself out there. It's been a blast putting it together!

Take care!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2020-12-04)
These events were meant only for your ears. Have you tried to confirm if the murder is a fact or only a rumor?

Nice publicity strategy... Not sure if it helps to attract new customers or to scare away potential ones. I wonder if Zak Bagans has heard about this place.

Welcome to YGS. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: