You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost In Chicago

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost In Chicago

 

In the summer of 2009, I was visiting Chicago for a work trip and stayed at the historic Hilton Chicago across from Grant Park. My sister also lives in Chicago and my trip coincided with her bachelorette party. After work on a Friday evening, I had dinner with my sister and two of her friends. I distinctly remember only having one glass of wine at dinner, since the next night would likely include more drinking at the bachelorette party.

After dinner, I went back to the hotel and fell asleep. While sleeping I started having a vivid dream. I was stuck in an elevator. The elevator stopped working. I tried using the intercom to call the operator. The operator started screaming at me through the intercom. It sounded like a cacophony of multiple voices screaming. Suddenly, I woke up; my heart was racing. And that's when I realized being stuck in the elevator was a dream and the voices that were screaming at me were actually coming from the hallway. A group of people walking through the hallway were being ridiculously loud.

Reality hit me that I had been woken up and I remember feeling very annoyed and thinking I probably won't be able to fall back asleep. I was curled up in a fetal position on my right side. I flipped over to my left side so I could see the time on the digital clock. It was 4 a.m. CT. I sighed, feeling anxious about whether or not I'd be able to fall back asleep. I then rolled from the fetal position onto my back. And that's when I saw it.

Standing at the foot of the bed, directly in front of me was a man. This man was not completely solid but more solid than an apparition. I could make out every single detail on this man's face but there was definitely a low-key glow radiating through him. To this day I could spot this man in a lineup. His hair was reddish and thinning, high cheekbones, faint mustache, pointy nose. He was wearing a cut-off Celtics jersey. He was staring at me and smiling slightly. Creepy in a "I'm standing in your hotel room staring at you" creepy way, but not overly creepy. I did not sense this person to be evil, but I was still scared. We stared at each other for what felt like 5 minutes but was probably 10-20 seconds. My thought process during this time went something like this: "Did one of those people in the hallway break into my room? No, this doesn't feel like a real person. This feels like a ghost. Maybe it's my guardian angel? Shouldn't my guardian angel be wearing something nicer than a cut-off jersey? Am I having one of those sleep paralysis moments? Can I move? If it's a ghost wouldn't he have left by now? He's still staring at me. It must be a real person. Oh my god, there's a real person in here!"

At that moment I decided this person was real. I sat up in bed and screamed while staring directly at this guy. And all of the sudden, right before my eyes - he just faded away. Almost like pixels dissolving into the air. I'm still sitting in the same spot breathing heavily. While sitting I started looking around the room because I was still confused about what had just happened. The door to the bathroom was slightly ajar. And as I looked into the dark doorway I saw his face again, staring right back at me. We locked eyes. And then once again, he just faded away like pixels.

I have never been so scared in my life. I felt incapable of moving or doing anything I was so scared. I curled up under the bed covers completely awake for the next hour. Eventually, I grabbed my cell phone off the nightstand and call my boyfriend (now husband). It was 6 a.m. In New York at that point. He didn't answer. Eventually, I got up and went to yoga in the park with my boss that morning and told her the entire story. Then I asked two different hotel employees if they ever heard any stories and they said no. I can't imagine that is true given the historic nature of the hotel. Later that morning I talked to my boyfriend/husband and he said it was probably a remote viewer who was just "having some fun, going into different hotel rooms." I don't know what it was but I know it happened.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, worthise, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-11-17)
Cantunseeit, fyi, I am also Mrs. Ramsay, long story.
Wanted to tell you that I saw a couple spirit faces in those photos of your mirrored hallway. I know you said something was debunked, but I blew up your photos anyway & there were definitely 1-3 faces, some more formed than others. I was surprised no one else saw them. I've been busy & not reading here much, so late commenting. Sorry to use this thread for this comment, but have been trying to message you.
worthise (1 stories) (2 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-11-16)
Pelatiah - that is a fascinating story about your guardian angel and your comment is spot on - they are there to make us know everything is okay! I do not have a connection to the Celtics that I'm aware of. I was staying in Chicago during the annual Taste of Chicago festival and he kind of looked like a festival-goer. That was another reason I thought it was a real person that broke in.

Rajine - that is an interesting thought about a guardian angel being there during an awful dream. While I was scared at the time, I'm thankful to have woken up and experienced everything that happened afterward. BTW, my son and I have been reading stories on this website for a few years and we always love reading your stories and comments.

CantunSEEit74 - Thanks for the comment and for enjoying the story.
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-11-16)
Probably one of the thousands of people killed in Chicago every year, just taking a look. Seriously though, I'd have been scared out of my mind. Great description of your thoughts!

As an fyi, I believe I have a guardian angel. He came to me, I believe twice in the form of a Green Beret soldier of all things. (I'm an Army brat & I believe that's how I saw him -- once as a child, once as a woman of 32 -- because I've always admired/looked up to green beret soldiers). The first time I saw him was in an aisle of the grocery store, just after my father was killed & I was having emotional problems. The second time was when my husband was dying of cancer & he came to my parents back door one day randomly & asked after husband... It was a strange experience, but he talked & looked like a real person. I only made the connection years later while telling my current husband about it. Is there something about the Celtics that might make you feel good? Because honestly, angels are not there to scare you. They're there to make you KNOW things are ok.
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2022-11-15)
Hi worthise

That definitely sounds like a crazy incident, anyone would be creeped out by it, but perhaps it was a guardian of sorts, especially since you were having a life threatening dream at that same moment. Also I think the noisy people in the hallway probably did you a favor by waking you up.
CantunSEEit74 (4 stories) (60 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-11-13)
Worthise - I too would hope that my guardian angel would not be wearing a tank top, but he was kind of smiling at you that may have helped a little with the creep factor of your visitation. Great story and thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: