You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Theater Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Theater Ghost

 

I recently was employed by a local theater, The Players. I was the costume manager and worked there for three years. The theater is said to be haunted by the ghost of a forlorn actress who lost her life on the way to her show. There is also said to be the ghost of a man, who depressed took his life by hanging himself in the tree just outside the backstage entrance.

I worked all hours of the night many times finding myself alone in the darkened theater. The costume loft was on the second floor accessed by a staircase. I would often hear the sound of footfalls as I sat at my sewing machine, I would get up to make certain that no one had entered. I would always find not a living soul, and came to the understanding that there was something more of the supernatural going on. It did not seem as if it meant any harm and I kind of liked the feeling of someone looking over me as I worked. Most of the stitchers refused to work at night as they said that the place just gave them the creeps.

It was not until the third year, that I would meet our ghost. I had a new stitcher in the shop and it was near Halloween, the other girls were giving her a bit of a scare telling of the haunted theater. The lady ask me if I had ever seen the ghost, I told her that I had been there for three years and never had the pleasure of the ghost's acquaintance. We all had a laugh and resumed our work. My office was situated directly across from the costume shop so that we could keep an eye to anyone that might need us. I told the girls that I was going outside the backstage entrance to have a smoke if they needed me. As I left I turned right out of the shop and out of the corner of my eye noticed that a man was standing in my office, I had taken about three steps, then turned to go back to the office. No one was there! I had seen him clearly, he was looking out my window and he was wearing a colored shirt and a cap. Only when I stopped to think did I realize that I had only seen his image from about the waist up though he was standing to the nearside of my desk. I went back into my shop and told the girls what had happened.

Regrettably I lost a stitcher that day, but I had finally made the acquaintance of the theater ghost

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cassandra, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-18)
Dear cassandra,

That was a nice story, although losing the stitcher was a doozy. The ghost sounds friendly and I believe he was just making his prescence known. Have you done research on the history of the theater?

Thank you for sharing your story with us. God bless you, deus vobiscum and God bless.

Sincerely,

Francois
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
Wow that was a very interesting story Cassandra. I reay liked reading this story. Have there been workers who saw them too? I agree with you that these spirits mean no harm. Maybe they don't know they are dead. I hope you have other stories to tell. I would realy like to read them. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
That is pretty cool. But not to be mean but it is kind of funny that you lost a stitcher that day. I bet you were stunned but sota happy that you finaly saw one of the ghosts that hauntes the theater, I know I would be.

Hope you write another story. 😁 It was a very good experience.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-22)
The theater is a place where you can find some ghosts that has history. Some times that place has some suicidal people there who will devote themselves that their spirits will stay there forever.

May the Gods of Islam, Christianity and Buddhism protect you from harm...
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Glad to see you took this all with a grain of salt. Most people would have been freaked out but you seem to be just fine with it. I don't know what it is about theaters but they always seem to be haunted. Actors and actresses tend to be dramatic people by nature and I guess death doesn't stop them from making an appearance when they feel the need. I wonder if the man that you saw was the same as the actor that hung himself? The ghostly actress may have been the one watching over you, she made her presence known but in a more subtle way. I have never seen a full apparition but from what I have read it's common to see only part of the apparition but it's still solid and is therefore mistaken for an actual person until you realize it has no legs. My brother on his way to work one morning saw just legs crossing the road a few hundred feet down the road he was traveling. It was foggy so he thought it was kids crossing the road and hurrying to get to the other side. The closer he got he realized it was just legs he was seeing. He had traveled that road for decades and this was the only time something like that happened. Oh I didn't mention that the direction they were coming from was a fairly big cemetary situated to the right of that road. My brother has very good vision 20/20 so I believe him when he said he saw what he saw. He's not the type to make something like that up. Yes it was slightly foggy but he could see fine. Guess we never know when we will meet or should I say clash with the other side.
la_belle_du_theatre (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Ooh, how exciting; a theater ghost.:)

Do you know anything else about the ghost?
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Lovely story cassandra-it was a pleasure reading it.

I figure it was a rather friendly ghost then. 😊

I wonder if any others saw him or the actress.

Thanks for sharing.
dukemanistan (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-21)
Do you know anything about this man? Was he an actor, a director, a stage manager, do you know when he lived, or what brought him to hang himself?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: