You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Otis, the Movie Theater Friendly Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Otis, the Movie Theater Friendly Ghost

 

It was my second week working at my town's local theater and my boss (who's been running the place for years!) forgot to mention Otis. Otis was the first owner of the building. He used to hold illegal drinking/gambling parties in the basement a long long time ago. There's a local legend that he was shot when caught cheating, but I don't know if that's true.

So I was the only one working that night besides my boss, but he was outside washing windows. I just finished refilling the candy counter and I turned out the light. I went upstairs to get a some popcorn bags and I thought I heard Ted (my boss) climbing the stairs with his cane. But nobody was there. Honestly, those stairs are loud and someone was definitely on them.

I got a little freaked out. I started to walk back down, but the door slammed shut and locked. I screamed and pounded on the door until twenty minutes later, Ted came upstairs and helped me. He just chuckled and told me Otis was a practical joker. "Next time he does that, Ted told me, "just scold him and tell him to open the door..."

I encountered Otis again another time, and he locked me in the supply closet. My heart pounded but I stayed calm. I said in my sternest voice possible that I was busy and he needed to unlock the door. He did. Now I have a friendly relationship with Otis. He'll hide the candy or flick the lights on and off or only once did he pull my hair. I got angry and told him never to touch me because it scared me. He hasn't done anything of the sort since.

I just wanted everyone to know that not all ghosts are bad. Otis definitely isn't.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Resa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Creepa99 (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
I know this story is old, but it is so funny. 😆 I would always think having a ghost girlfriend would be better than having a regular girlfriend.
Vannarra (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Aw in a way, it's kind of sweet.
Am I weird for that?
Hope not. But this is certainly a good story that shows people that not all ghosts are bad.
❤ -Vannarra
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
Resa, I'm glad you've reached an understanding with Otis. He sounds like a real joker. I hope things continue to remain on such good terms, I think he likes your attention.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-28)
yes I know what you mean. I see ghosts and one ran into me and I just went mad he didn't do it again. I think he thought it was funny too see me shocked and jumping out of my skin. I caught him laughing. 😊 I enjoyed reading your story thanks for sharing it with us. 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-28)
I would agree with both gentlemen who have commented. Not all spirits are evil ot bad. Just like people, there are good entitys - and - just like bad people there are bad entitys. I have heard that people aren't born evil. I completesy disagree. I have meet many a human that is evil. I feel the same would hold true for spirit.

Tell the entity it is okay to move on to the light and cross over. There may be something unfinished or somethng that is holding them back. Pray, Pray, Pray.

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-28)
Wow nice story Resa. I understand that ghost can be friendly but I wouldn't try getting used to them. If you say something awfull about them they can be upset and the"nice guy" will dissapear. I hope to here from you soon and take care. By the way Shane congratulations on 900 post. I wish that you will keep on helping us with your wise advice and your kind heart that let's us all feel better. II hope to hear from you soon and take.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-28)
Resa, thank you for sharing your story with us. I agree with you, not all ghost are bad or evil. Some just want attention, though they should be told to move on and be at rest. Some will listen, others are a little tougher to get rid of, and some require special ceremonies and people to move them on.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: