You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: More Experiences in the House

Real Ghost Stories

More Experiences in the House

 

I've submitted 2 stories of things that had taken place in a house I grew up in. Both stories had witnesses but this is one where I was all alone.

On the weekends my Mother would get up early and go to the Farmer's Market and let my sisters and I sleep in. At this time my eldest sister was a raging teenager who was always out late and sleeping in even later. My middle sister had a number of personal issues with my Mum, as teenage girls tend to do, and at this time was living with my Father.

This particular time I was 10 or 11 years old and was up on a Saturday morning taking a bath. I knew my Mum had gone to the Farmer's Market and would be back soon so I was amusing myself until she returned.

Directly on the other side of the bathtub wall was the kitchen. I heard my eldest sister moving plates and cutlery. I assumed she was making herself a late breakfast and called out to her to make me something also. She didn't answer, but continued to get things out of the cupboards and drawers. I continued to yell at her, getting louder in the event that she didn't hear me as well as knocking on the wall. I suspected that she was purposely ignoring me so as not to have to make me anything.

I was beyond miffed at this and having a pretty healthy sense of childish entitlement I marched out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel, dripping wet into the kitchen to tell her what I thought of her ignoring me. To my surprise she wasn't there and nothing had been moved or misplaced. I was shocked. I went downstairs to her room only to find it empty and quiet. She wasn't home and hadn't been all night. It wasn't unusual for her to stay over at a friend's.

It dawned on me that I was all alone. No one was there and yet I had distinctly heard dishes and cutlery, doors and drawers being moved in the kitchen.

When I think about it now, I can't really remember what I did next. I imagine I high-tailed it out of the basement and suspect I probably went over to a neighborhood friend's until my Mum returned.

Thinking about this some 20 odd years later I still cannot come up with an explanation of what happened other than it was the spirit that lived in our house trying to let me know they were there.

Other hauntings by Joyful

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Joyful, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
I believe that what you have gonethrough is very disturbing. Living in a house like that would be very scary. Thank you for sharring this very interesting story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
I am the first one to chalk up poltergeist activity to teens because they have been known to set things in motion with kenetic energy. I don't know if that applies to this story. Sounds like you may have a spirit in your house. I don't think while taking a shower you would be able to do the things happening in the kitchen by kenetic energy being that your attention was certainly elsewhere. You were miffed but not angry thinking your sister was ignoring you. High tensions can be the cause of some poltergeist activity but again I don't think that was the case here. Had to be scary for a kid alone but I think you handled it well.
dukemanistan (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
It could have been trying to let you know it was there, or it could have simply been, as many spirits do, going about it's own business without even being aware of you.
senseye (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-28)
this is something similar that iv experienced before but this is more scary. I also used to go to neighbors when I can't control my fear anymore. I hope you still able to finish your shower that time. Thank you for another great story:) TC
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-28)
Welcome back Joyful with another well-told encounter at home.

I suppose no matter how many times you come to deal with these strange and inexplicable noises, you never manage to grow out of the fear for the unseen. Knowing you're sharing your house with a previous tenant is a little disturbing.

Thanks so much for sharing 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: