You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Growing Up In A Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Growing Up In A Haunted House

 

I've had some odd experiences in my life but it really all started when I was 9 years old and my mother, sisters and I had just moved into a new house. My parents had divorced a few years earlier and we had been renting places to live until my Mum could afford a home of her own.

I went to look at the house with my family before my mum bought it and a young family lived there who were hunters. They had a lot of stuffed animals hanging on the walls which I thought was rather grotesque. Before we moved in my mum and aunt painted the kitchen an atrocious colour of yellow and did some basic touch ups around the place to make it cozy. It was/is a split level home with 3 bedrooms upstairs and a partially finished basement.

From the first night it was a pretty active place. Footsteps in the hallway, a weird continuous sound at night like a pencil rolling on the table. I often felt watched, particularly from the left hand upper corner of my bedroom. The longer we stayed there the more obvious or active it became. I would hear someone calling my name at night while I was trying to sleep, things would fall off the walls for no apparent reason, knocking on the walls, that kind of thing.

I would relate my feelings and experiences to my Mother and sisters, who would either laugh or try to convince me of my overactive imagination. I did have a pretty vivid imagination but these things were different.

Things really picked up when we got a dog. She would suddenly, in the middle of the day, start to whine, shiver and try to hide. As this continued, I realized that this was a sign that something was about to happen, like the TV switching off or banging on the walls.

One time the dog freaked out when we were all sitting in the living room watching TV one winter evening as it was snowing. We were watching 'Dallas' for all of you out there who are old enough to remember. As we watched the dog cowered with fear as our front doors opened.

First the outer screen door, then the heavier inner door and it sounded like someone came in. We all sat there looking at each other, sort of stunned. I should mention none of us saw the doors open. Being a bi-level, the door was down a flight of stairs.

My Mum went and checked but no one was there. It was all so 'off' and slowly we figured out why. You had to go through a gate to get to our door and at the sound of the gate our dog would bark. No gate, no barking, no person, no footprints in the snow! I realize that may seem kind of cliche but it happened!

I didn't ever want to tell anyone what was going on but one day I confessed to a friend, who lived on the block before we moved in, about the strange house. She told me she never wanted to go to my house because someone had killed themselves in it before we moved in!

Apparently the mother/wife who I had met had her brother living there and he shot himself in the kitchen. It explained why my Mum could afford a new house in a nice neighborhood and it explained why she and my aunt had used that awful shade of yellow-to cover the stains.

When I asked my Mother about this she confirmed the death but reassured me there was nothing to fear and I was imagining things.

Many things happened but the last strong happening was one evening when I was well into teenage-hood and both my older sisters had moved out. I 'graduated' into my sister's room that had been built in the basement. It had that kind of partition/hanging ceiling, the kind with rectangles sitting in a grid. I don't know what it's called but I'm sure you can picture it. If the window was open and a breeze blew in, the ceiling would make a whoosh sound as the tiles lifted or if the door was opened quickly.

Anyway, a friend and I were sitting in my room chatting late one night when all of a sudden we hear footsteps coming down the stairs. If it was my Mum coming to tell us to go to bed we would've heard her leaving her room, but these just started at the steps. I can't explain it, but what happened was just electric. My dog started to whine and cower under the blankets. We heard the steps come across the basement floor towards the door and without the window being open or the door opening WHOOSH, the tiles lifted as though someone just came in the room.

The entire time, as the dog was freaking out my friend and I just locked eyes and all the hairs on my body stood up. I can't explain the feeling but it felt electric and very, very primal. Like my physical response was animal-like. Everything just seemed to stop and we roared out of there upstairs and didn't go back down.

Years later, after I was an adult and we hadn't lived there for years my mother confessed to me that she knew it was...active. She woke up one night with the intense feeling of someone staring at her and saw a light human shaped form move quickly back and disappeared through the wall. She also explained the dreadful colour choice in the kitchen. My sisters didn't experience anything, but now believe me when I tell them about it.

I'll also have to post about another night I had another friend stay over and ping-pong balls were rolling across the floor for no apparent reason in the middle of the night. Needless to say not too many sleepovers after that and the kids at school were scared of me.

After this and other similar experiences throughout my life I've come to believe some of the occurrences were poltergeist activity due to all the female energy and some personal upset as you can well imagine with a single Mother with 3 daughters.

However, other things are totally unexplainable and of the supernatural and I think that the longer we were there, the more the activity gradually becoming hostile and very negative.

I welcome any questions and will be sure to post the other happenings since then. I can happily say that my current home of more than 6 years is really peaceful and I haven't known this kind of stillness anywhere I've ever lived.

Other hauntings by Joyful

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Joyful, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
Wow I liked your story a lot. I bvelieve in it 100%.I believe it was hard for you knowing that there was something there but nobody believed in you. I hate it when that happens. I wonder why your sisters didn't feel anything in that house? Well not everyone has the gift/curse.Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Nordic (44 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
Extremely well-written story. I can certainly relate to the "electric" part as I have experienced that as well... And I am still trying to figure out exactly what happened 😉
shada (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Wonderful story! I agree with Frawin and Rhodes, good job and a clear head. Keep up, I would love to hear more.
Joyful (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
I also wanted to mention that after this place we lived in 4 other homes (I only lived in 3 of them) and 2 of them had some activity, but our dog never acted that way again.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Hi Joyful. I agree with FRAWIN's statement about the 'simple' things- (if there are such things as simple things when discussing the supernatural!) This is one of the best stories I've read here, well written and completely believable. I appreciate the fact that you didn't embellish the details in order to try to make things seem scarier, it was definitely scary enough. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences and I can't wait to read more.I'm glad to hear you're happy where you're living now, especially after what you went through in that house. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Hi Joyful and welcome.

Thanks for sharing your experience which, by the way, I found very interesting.

I agree with FRAWIN about the way you handled things. I suppose what you really need is confirmation that what you had experienced then was supernatural.

Nobody can confirm that without a doubt since there can't be proof but just indications of paranormal activity, sometimes weak, some others, strong.

In addition, although you were in the right age for poltergeist activity, I tend to think that poltergeist is a "noisier" type of activity. It might not always be mischievious or threatening, but, nontheless, it is much noisier than yours. So I doubt that was the case. Again, that's just my humble opinion.

I think what you had going on there was residual as well as intelligent haunting and I claim the latter because the apparition in your mum's bedroom was, as you said, observing her.

I don't think though you were, at any time, in any danger although I would love to hear more about the rest of the events at home.
Joyful (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Hi Frawin! I was just reading your stories and noticed you posted to me, how funny. Glad you enjoyed my story, it feels good to finally talk about it, and I plan on relating more experiences too.
I'm asking for help in the sense that if anyone has anything to offer I will be glad to take it under advisement and I'm also looking for aome kind of confirmation I suppose.
I also have some other odd stories to relate that I feel others may be able to offer some wisdom, but haven't had the time to write them yet.

Joyful
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
Hello Joyful. Now this is the kind of story I can relate to. It is well written and totally believable. Having grown up in an active house I know that it's the simple things that scares you the most. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I truly enjoyed reading it.

I noticed that you marked the "I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced..." on the feedback option, what do you need help with as you seem to have a pretty good handle on things.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: