You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Sally Mae Hatfield

Real Ghost Stories

Sally Mae Hatfield

 

I got a phone call this morning from Stan (the security guard in my last post). He told me that after the incident with our nurse-ghost that he was too freaked out to stay on nights, and that he had switched to a first shift position. I was wondering why I'd not seen him over the past few months. He proceeded to tell me about the memorabilia that was put up in our hall ways last week to celebrate the hospitals 100 year anniversary. Administration put up pictures of the opening of the hospital, as well as pictures of the nursing and physician staff from when the hospital opened to present time.

He said that there's a black and white photo of a 1910 graduating nursing class that has each graduates name printed underneath of them. He went on to say that as soon as he saw the photo that one of the faces practically jumped out at him, and that right away he knew it was the nurse that walked with me that night. "Sally Mae Hatfield" he said. I repeated the name to make sure I heard him correctly. He assured me that was the name, and that it was definitely her. He said he just wanted to let me know and that I should check it out when I come back to work.

Well I worked last night, and today started my 4 days off. But I was so curious to see her face I went back in and checked the picture out for myself. After I found the photograph and picked out which lady she was, I got goose bumps over my whole body. I suddenly felt almost nauseous. I'm not really sure why my body started to act this way, but the feeling faded quickly. I stared studying the structure of her face she was a beautiful woman she looked very young in the photo, maybe in her mid 20's if that. She had long dark hair, and her cheek bones stood out as they seemed to be her main facial feature.

After standing in front of this picture for what seemed to be an hour or more (but truly was only like 20 minutes) I felt the need to know everything about her.

I went over to HR to see if there was any way to get information about the nurse that worked there so many years ago. I was told that even if there was a way to find any records on her that it would be against HIPPA regulations to give out any info they might have and that with her being there so long ago that any paper trail would have been long gone to another place where they store all the old records. So I felt hopeless. I grabbed a coffee, and went back to the photos.

As I walked back over to the photo there was an older couple standing in front of it. I overheard the woman say to what appeared to be her husband "and this is my mother's youngest sister, Aunt Sally" and she pointed to Sally Mae's picture. My jaw just about dropped to the floor. I was almost in shock.

Right then I interrupted them and asked her about her aunt's career there at the hospital. She pointed to another woman (Janie Rhodes). She said this is her mother. She told me that they both worked there for more then 20 years, and that she too had been employed by the hospital many years ago. She said her aunt and her mom both graduated in that class, that they both worked separate shifts in the ER. Janie worked days, as she had to be home for her children and husband when school got out, and Sally Mae worked nights. Sally hadn't married nor did she bare any children due to the fact that she was so wrapped up in her career. We walked over to the small cafe I bought them both coffees and we talked for about 2 hours. She never once asked why I was so interested in her aunt, and I wasn't comfortable to just tell her why I wanted to know so much.

Well she said that her mother had passed away at a local nursing home in 1980, and that Sally Mae didn't live quite as long. She said when Sally was 37 she was working an 8 hour shift in the ER and she was treating a young male patient that had been beaten pretty badly in a fight, and 2 men came in asking to see him saying they were family, and they were let in.

Sally was in a room with another patient when she heard the boy arguing with his guests. She walked into the room and one of the men had a knife and was actually stabbing the young boy. She ran over screaming for help and the man began stabbing her. The two guys ran off and were captured less then an hour later.

Sally Mae had 5 stab wounds and was treated at the hospital. She was doing well healing up good when she encountered a staph infection that went on to take her life after 4 weeks of treatment. The young boy was treated and left the hospital a week later with no problems.

This whole thing has blown me away. I can't get this conversation out of my head. I came right home and jumped on here to tell you all that were so interested in my previous posting.

Thank you all I will check back regularly for comments.

GOD BLESS

Other hauntings by Ambi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ambi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zoeee15 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-03)
Wow, that's really intense. What a great story to hear, makes me feel like sometimes these things to come together... Fantastic story!
lazythirdeye13 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
hey ambi I want to see if you have updates on your storys I really like reading them. Thank you for share them with us
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
You said Sally Mae died at 37. But yet she and her sister worked together for more than 20 years?
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
Wow! That is so cool you got a follow up! Maybe she was or is trying to protect you. I know that one thing my nursing instructors always preached to us is safety coming or going to the hospital. It is usually dark or dusky at shift change, and in my case around the time to go to clinical. I hear of nurses getting attacked, raped, killed and even stalked a lot. My sister had a close encounter at the last hospital she worked at, she went out for a smoke, and said she saw a guy that just didn't seem right to her, and he was staring at her mighty hard. She reported him to security, but they must have not found him. He just gave her the hibbie jibbies, so she cut her smoke short and went back to the fifth floor. A little way through her shift, he was admitted as a psyche patient and had stabbed someone on the way to their car. I was great to hear your follow up! Be careful! Your nurse could be a warning! ❤
againsarahan (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-03)
Hi, Ambi! I can't help wondering if the would-be assassin was ever charged with Sallie Mae's murder. Or did he just get out of town while the going was good? Do you know? The synchronicity at work in your account is really wonderful.
twilightfan (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
I really love this story because Sally seams like a very strong woman who I respect and also pity her because of the way she died and that it seemsthat she hasn't moved on so I'm 😁 and 😢
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
Hi Ambi 😁.I have to say that this is one of the best stories I have ever read. You sure know how to write stories! I bet he was shocked when he noticed that itr was the same nurse who walked beside you. Thanks for sharring this story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
This is probably the most amazing story I have read on here.

This seems like more than a coincidence. I have to agree with Rhodes68 when she says that it's like Sally Mae wanted her story to be known.

Jennifer ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-30)
Isn't it odd how things happen? You see a ghost nurse and then you find out all about her accidentally. I have come to the conclusion by this story and so many others that our lives are not random. I don't believe in coincidence either. A story like this is not something you can chalk up to coincidence.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
While I agree with rhodes that "That was a great revelation-it's as if Sally Mae wanted to be known, to let her story be known!" The more important question is why was it important to her that YOU knew her story and what connection do the two of you share?

FRAWIN 😊
bigpatti87 (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
Wow Ambi,

I love to read your stories and it just blows me away everytime I read one of your stories, but this one hit me close to home in a way. My sister was married (before her divorce) to a guy by the name of Robert Hatfield and he once told of stories of a great doctor in his family named Sally Mae now I know she didn't seem to be a doctor but how could it be anyone else. It could be a different person but wow that is so crazy that I read this story. Well keep us posted because I really want to know how this one turns out and I hope to see that picture and maybe it will match some of the ones he has at his house.

God Bless,
Jonathan 😉
Ambi (5 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
So, I just got in from work, Its like 6:57 am here. I tried to think of the best way to be able to copy her photo, and I thought that I had an Ingenious idea. I thought that if I took a picture of the picture (on my cell) I would be able to try to post it on here. Sounds great, right? That's what I thought too. I tried 7 times to capture the photo, and each time the screen turned black. The last time I tried my phone shut off by its self. That freaked me out a little. So I decided to stop, thinking perhaps she or one of the others in the picture did not want me to have it. But I am taking my digital camera into work with me tonight, its a much better quality then the camera on my phone. We'll see how that works out. I hope to be able to share this with you all, and I'm thankful for all of your comments, and support here.
GOD BLESS! THANKYOU.
dukemanistan (3 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-29)
This is a great development in understanding her presense there.

I admit to being a bit dissapointed in the manner of her death, simply because I rather liked the idea of her being there not because it was the site of her death but because of her love for the hospital, ah well life is like that I suppose.

That really is a pretty amazing story, you should see if you can find out from records when she died and hold some sort of memorial for a brave woman who gave her life trying to ring comfort and health to the sick and injured.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-28)
Ambi, thank you for the updates from Ohio. Although I have not responded earlier, I want to tell you how much I have enjoyed your experiences at the hospital. Thank you for sharing. I hope you will continue to update us on developments.

For whatever reason, at this moment in time you and Sallie Mae Hatfield seem to be synchronized. Beyond the normal constraints of chronology, you both seem to be bound together not only by a career at the same hospital, but by something much more intimate that remains yet to be identified. When I have encountered these connections, it has helped me to come to terms by researching the person and learning as much as possible about them. A visit to the house she lived in or her grave may help you to better understand Sallie Mae and provide you with an opportunity to honor her and tell her that her sacrifice is not forgotten--although it sounds as though you can do that in the hospital corridors, too. She sounds like an extraordinary lady.
DarknessEmbraced (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-28)
That story was was great, I'm happy you took the time to write it up on here. I believe things end up happening for a reason, I'm not talking about the death of Sally but her reaching out to let her story to be known. It's amazing how you came back at just the right moment. I think it would be awesome if you could somehow share the photo with us, thank you:)
Ambi (5 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-28)
Hey guys,
I will check about the reproduction of the picture, I'm not sure if I can get my hands on it. They are pretty shady when it comes to things like that but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask, right?
I just don't know what the chances were for me to be there at the exact time her family passed by. To me that was incredible. It was almost "freaky". Who knows?
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-28)
What an incredible story! To get the call from the security guard, see the photo for yourself, and then to run into the nurse's niece. You are lucky to be able to find out answers to questions that you have had. Please keep us informed with any new events that take place.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-28)
That was a great revelation-it's as if Sally Mae wanted to be known, to let her story be known!

That was an amazing experience Ambi and I'll be looking forward to learning anything new.

I don't suppose you could somehow reproduce that picture 😳.

I would like it if I could just take a look at Sally Mae's face-just curious.

Thanks

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: