You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Significance of a Song

Real Ghost Stories

The Significance of a Song

 

I really never believed this to be anything other than a coincidence until I read what has happened to other people.

First I am a pretty level-headed mother of two girls, wife of almost 40 years and retired secondary school teacher. My mother died in the early 1980s aged 68. She suffered from MS and in the last few years of her life she was terribly ill. My father's life was much affected by her poor health but he looked after her until her death, which, in the end, came suddenly. Her last words, according to Dad, were " Who has put the light out?"

My sister and I went home to be with my father and to help him make all the funeral arrangements and so on. After the funeral Dad came back with me as I felt he needed time to get used to life without Mum.

We sat down to our lunch on the day of his arrival at my house and I put on the radio. The song being aired as I switched it on was a song popular when my parents were young, "The September Song". You may wonder what is strange about this. Well, it was my parents' favourite song - their song if you like. It was the most amazing coincidence, as I perceived it, as there are simply millions of songs, but on reflection I think my mother was perhaps saying that she was not too far away.

My father broke down - the only time I have ever seen him cry - and I think that moment brought the family even closer together.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Gina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
That was a very touching story and I thank you for sharring it. I believe that your mom wanted you to know that she loves you both. I think she wanted you to know that she is in a better place and that she will always love you and your father. Its a good thing that the family got closer to each other. I think that's what your mom realy wanted. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FinanceMajor (1 stories) (64 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
I do believe your mother was saying hi, and that she loves you. I had a similar experience with Landslide, the song from the Dixie Chicks when my Mother passed away in 2003.

Love is very powerful, because it never dies, especially love from parents to their children.
Hunters (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
Dear Gina,
Aw this story is sad, and it makes me cry, well maybe rhodes68 is right, she could have been with you that day.

Truly,
Hunters
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
Fascinating, Gina--I myself had a similar experience while grieving over the death of a close friend.

Funny how things like that happen--they almost invariably seem to bring some degree of comfort.
iWereWolf (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
Very touching story, thanks for sharing your wonderful story. Hope you have a nice day
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-05)
Gina thank you so much for sharing this story. It brought tears to my eyes!

I also think that it's the little and simplest coincidences that sometimes hold a deeper meaning.

I'm sorry for your loss which I'm sure it is a great one. I trully believe your mother was with you that day to comfort and assure you that life and death in their physical sense are nothing but a step to the eternal life.

Thank you

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: