You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Geisha's Song

Real Ghost Stories

Geisha's Song

 

I went on vacation in Japan to visit my grandmother, who lives in an old fashioned Japanese house. It was quite beautiful; it had a koi pond in the back with gorgeous vegetation surrounding it, fusuma (sliding doors), a spacious porch, etc. It was a pretty old house built somewhere in the 1930s, my grandmother always told me stories of her childhood and how she often saw geisha strolling around near it.

Before you enter the house you have to remove your shoes so you never really hear loud footsteps on the wooden floor. My favorite place to be was in the garden where the pond was. Just three of days after my family's arrival I noticed something odd one day. I was in the garden, just enjoying the twilight and completely focused on the tranquility of it when I started to hear singing. The melody of it was so captivating, I looked around for the source and on the other side of the pond was the most charming geisha I'd seen.

Her vestment was so elegant. She was wearing a traditional peach colored silk kimono with lovely design, traditional geisha make-up that covered her delicate face, a beautiful umbrella with floral pattern at the top, and her hair was in a neat bun with floral ornaments in it. Shocked, I called out to her, but she didn't seem to notice me. Once all light sunlight was gone so was she leaving me confused. I ran inside to ask if anyone had heard the singing, but they just heard me calling out to someone.

I decided to shake it off though I could tell by my grandmother's face that she knew something. Grandmother gave me the room that she never used (because there were no other rooms left) but I didn't mind at all. It was quite large though kind of dirty because nobody used it. Once it was cleaned up I was able to sleep in it, but that night it felt depressing. In the morning I was fine, but still wondered about the experience. Somewhere around 4:00 pm the aroma of jasmine filled the air, but I was the only one who smelled it, so I thought.

Grandmother was acting strange, always nervous and anxious (I never asked her about it). Again at the same time the geisha showed up singing her song and again nobody heard it! Going to bed that night was awful because that same dreary feeling surrounded my room. This went on for almost a week. I asked Grandmother about previous owners of the house, she told me that the house once belonged to a man who was very fond of pretty geisha. While thinking why the spirit of the young woman would not move on I smelled a thick smell of blood, the type that would be on an untreated wound and it was coming from my room. I slid the door open and was terrified at who was in it.

The elegant geisha who I had seen and heard various nights, was on the floor looking so broken and abused. She was wearing torn up grey rags, her hair a tangled mess and with bruises all over her, but the most frightful thing was her eyes, her pupils were so dilated as if she were panic-stricken, and they were full of tears and fear. I couldn't bare the sight so I ran out of the house as fast as I could.

The rest of my vacation basically unravels the story of the young woman's life...

Other hauntings by SummerEclipse22

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SummerEclipse22, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
hazeleyes: Of course blood has a smell, it's an organic material. It smells metalic, somewhat like copper. Put a bunch of pennies in your hand, hold them up to your nose and take a deep breath. I don't know your gender, but if you were female and old enough to menstruate, you wouldn't ask such a thing 😆
hazeleyes (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
I know this is an old story but what exactly does blood smell like? I'm just curious because I thought blood didn't have any smell.
KarieHK (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
Creepy! Though your story is very interesting. I think that geisha wanted you to help. So she just appeared in front of you.
luffy (4 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-13)
[at] ArchAngelAmaris
Im glad someone had the balls to say something.
I have my periods where I have interest in ghost stories and browse the whole web for my fix.95% of stories here are purely creative writing style fiction or just symptoms of mental illness. I'm not complaining or anything as its upto each reader to judge for themselves what they want to believe. The scariest stories for me are the secondhand ones that are passed on through time and survive. Not garbage like 'i saw a demon and hes raping me'
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
Oh my. The last part was depressing. This is an amazing story though. For sure, it is going on my favorites. 😊
ArchAngelAmaris (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
This story is not true. You get facts wrong all over the place. Geisha were usually homely and not at all delicate or beautiful that is because desirable women would be married off and their family had no reason to sell them to Okiya to become Geisha. Also Geisha probably wouldn't have worn Jasmine perfume like the one you say you smelled. Also Geisha did not wear their hair in a "bun" like you say that you saw. Their hair was intricate and often left them with permanent bald spots. I just can't believe you are trying to pass your little fiction story that you wrote as a true ghost story. This is not an amateur creative writing sight. Your inconsistencies show that you did nothing but lie.
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
Fascinating, beautifully written account. I can't wait for part two.

Arigato gozaimashta.
EpiphoneMariachi (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-16)
This interesting story is going on my favorites. I can't wait to read the conclusion!
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-24)
What a lovely story but with a not so happy ending. Please reveal more on what you found out about this woman as I hate the thought of leaving it where she is in pain.
Your Grandma obviously see's this woman as well but maybe she has not seen the dark side of what has happened to her.
I hope there is a happier ending! 😊
Hanbobs x
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-22)
Exuse me people want to a website she on there. Here...http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/memoirsofageisha/index.html
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-22)
Hello everyone I work in bookstore with my mother and I have the book of that about geisha I didn't know about her but I saw a picture of her she was real life actress not the real geisha I mean the real actress play geisha. I know for sure its sad.
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-22)
This story is amazing! I loved reading about it and I can't wait to hear how this poor woman got stuck in such a situation. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to part 2!
jennywhea (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-21)
Okay,
Your story gave me the freaks!
Can you tells us about her life?
Did you ask your grandma what has exactly happened?
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-21)
I would think both sightings are residual hauntings. Sounds like something traumatic touched her life and you got to see the results of it. I can't bear to think of any spirit trapped here on earth if they don't want to be. Not sure this spirit is trapped but just that you are seeing the outcome of her life which has left an impression on this time and atmosphere.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-21)
I loved your story, and am also curious to hear the rest of it. As I was reading it, I was reminded of the book Memoires Of A Geisha. That book was a true story about the life of a Geisha. It was so interesting and educational, if you have not read it I highly recommend it. They also came out with a movie, but the book is 100x's better. 😊
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-21)
I agree with BadxGood24--I'd love to know the rest of the story. You've really piqued my curiosity as to how she went from the way she appeared in the garden to how she appeared in your room!
BadxGood24 (2 stories) (14 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-21)
do tell about her life. Your story was so interesting! I bet her life story is interesting too.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: