You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My True Ghost Story

Real Ghost Stories

My True Ghost Story

 

For some background knowledge, my father built our house a year or two before my experience. I was either 7 or 8, don't remember exactly. At my age, I hadn't had any family die to even begin to comprehend or think about the after life.

Looking back, I think it's interesting that the house was new and still having spirits entering or leaving, doing whatever "it" was doing. As a child I had a bunk bed that my great grand father had built for me. One night I suddenly woke facing the wall, not sure what had woken me up, and I just laid there for a few seconds and then felt a heavy presence in the room.

I actually thought my mom or dad might have been in the room checking on me. I said out loud "hey" as I rolled over to look over my bed. A man was standing there by my bed at about my eye level since it was a bunk bed. He was just staring intently and for a split second I thought it was my dad. I realized in a split second it wasn't my father and his look changed from intently to almost an evil/sadistic grin.

It looked as though his fists were clenched at his sides like there was something in his hands but I couldn't make it out. He looked real but at the same time not and had a greenish dull hazy tint. I didn't notice what he was wearing as he was just dull. This thought process of analyzing this man happened in maybe a second or two. I yanked my covers over my head and laid there in paralyzed fear unable to scream or move. I ever so slightly and slowly turned over towards the wall again and just laid there my heart pounding so loudly that was all I could hear.

I KNEW I had been completely awake as I was now thinking about what happened and I couldn't comprehend it. I wanted to scream for my mom but I couldn't. Something in me said "don't make him mad by getting your mom". I wanted to pretend it was a dream and that way it wasn't real and he couldn't hurt me. Either way, I didn't tell my parents about it until years later when I was a teenager and we were talking about ghosts one morning at breakfast.

Throughout my years living in my parent's house I had a few other random experiences at night like waking up in paralyzed fear feeling a presence in the room and sleeping with the light on. I would have fits of nightmares where I felt like I was almost not in control of myself and I couldn't wake up even though I was aware I was dreaming and trying to wake up.

I had many feelings over the years where I felt someone was watching me, especially in the shower and the hairs on the back of my neck would stand up. Either way, I see all of these smaller experiences as they could be whatever but I'm sure of my experience as a child. I certainly don't wish for it to happen again and it truly was one of the most frightening moments of my life. Still makes my heart and mind race thinking about it today.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Delaware

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Desireemarie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FinanceMajor (1 stories) (64 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
I think that when our bodies are at sleep, or in Sleep Paralysis for those that have experienced this kind of event, we can open up doorways to other places.

Being in a semi-dream awake environment allows us to view a different scene.
We may be more open to other things that our rational mind cannot comprehend. If you are a sensitive, or very in touch with emotions, then perhaps these energies can sense that and make their presence known.

It could be possible that Sleep Paralysis and the ability to interact with spirits go hand in hand. Once the door is open, we cannot necessarily pick and choose who comes through that door, unless we are experienced, and few people are.

Take Care.
themexican (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
sick in the shower I have had that feelin but I figuerd it was just I was cold errr... You no just making stuff up
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Now, I am not going to read through the other comments, so if I repeat something, I am sorry. I have a tendency to stay away from other thoughts until I have posted my own. 😊
The house may be just a few years old, but the LAND is ageless. So many things could have happened, so many people could have passed that way, so many types of homes could have previously been on that land. To assume that a ghost should not be somewhere due to the fact of the age of the building would be to under estimate the range of a ghost.
But then again, you do not want to give them too much estimation either. They are NOT all powerful and CAN NOT do ALL things. There is only One who can do that.
Thank you.
Desireemarie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Thank you all for your responses! My parents were surprised, but didn't take me seriously really because it had happened so long ago. But what had actually spurred that conversation was that my mom and I had been seeing a black shadow in the corner of our eye moving when we were sitting in certain places of the house. When we recognized it was there we started just concentrating on looking at in in our peripherals and it would move sometimes but when we turned our heads to look at it, it "scanned" away. The weird thing was it only lasted a few months and my mother and I didn't talk about it until a few months after it had stopped. We both felt that it was eye tricks so felt silly talking about it. My dad never noticed anything.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
very interesting thanks for sharring.
Now was this the only time that you saw this "man" or where there other times (you might have mentioned it) what did your parents say after you told them? I know when my son told me he had seen something I was all over thrying to investigate it.

Well again thanks for sharring.
❤
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
I can't necessarily agree with Tonith on this one, as two of the main elements related to sleep paralysis, are being physically paralyzed (as opposed to unwilling to move from fear), and seeing shadows acting in odd ways. As you weren't paralyzed, and saw very clearly a glowing figure, I'd say there was something more to it. You might have had a nightmare, but typically dreams don't offer time to sit and contemplate what's happening in them.

Since that wasn't the only time you noticed a presence, and it wasn't only when you were asleep, there's certainly credibility to the idea of there being spirits in that house, although the fact that you only once saw the figure makes me wonder if it wasn't as malicious as your young frightened mind perceived it to be at the time. Usually if an malevolent spirit gets the reaction they want, they don't stop. As this one didn't show itself again, I believe it didn't actually want to frighten you in the first place.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I hope your not mad at our little talk the last time 😁.I wrote back and I hope you read it. I believe that what you went through could have been sleep paralysis the way you describded it. But seeing that man is very hard to explain. Either it was your imagination or it realy was a spirit. You described him very well and I'm leaning to the fact that he was a spirit. The other encounters which you had when you woke up I must say that is probably sleep paralysis. But on the other hand if there were more encounters in your home I which are hard to explain then sleep paralysis might not be the matter in this case. I hope I helped. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Sounds like sleep paralysis to me coupled with night terrors. That said, and I'm not belittling what happened to you but I do know children and teens can experience a lot of weird things due to hormones and excessive energy. Where you the only one to experience things? Waking and falling asleep are two times when we can't be sure of what is real and what is not. If these things are happening outside of repose then I would have cause for concern.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: