You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Polly

Real Ghost Stories

Polly

 

This has to be one of my earliest ghost memories, yet, it was evidently not my first. It was 1958 and I was seven years old.

I woke in the middle of the night, not knowing exactly why, but thought I had heard the same siren sound as from the movie we had recently watched, The Diary of Anne Frank. The sounds of the sirens in the movie had chilled me to my soul, unforgettable. The combination of movie fears and reality, and creates shivers to this day. "Someone was in trouble!" was my first thought as I cautiously climbed out of bed, and searched the house for my family.

In the kitchen, wearing pajamas and robes, is my mother and my older sister silently standing by the kitchen door window looking down the hill to the next door neighbor's house, Polly and Murray. Polly was a gracious, friendly, dark haired woman who always had time, or cookies, for the two little girls next door. Her husband, Murray, was an older gentleman, rather loud and boisterous, grey haired and plumping at the middle from too many a beer, attested to by the Budweiser calendar in his garage. I was always fascinated by that calendar! The pictures above each month revealed slightly clad young women with abundant cleavage in seductive poses. Wow.

There, in front of Polly and Murray's house, was some sort of station wagon type automobile or ambulance, but there were no flashing lights. It may have been a coroner's wagon. Mum was crying, Sue was silent and watching.

At my repeated questions, Mum finally told me that Polly had died. I became immediately confused. When I peered out our window, I could plainly see Polly standing on her front lawn in a long, white nightgown with her long dark hair down, something that I had never seen before. That day and age was when women always wore their tresses wrapped up in public. She was smiling and calm happy, waving to us, completely undisturbed by the scurry of activity all around her, people walking all over her prized lawns! I could see her as clear as day from the kitchen nook window to the left of the kitchen door where I perched on the bench on my knees to see, arms akimbo on the window sill. What was Mum talking about? Polly was just fine!

I was about to speak but I thought better of it as I had gotten into trouble for 'telling tales' before. It did make me wonder at such a young age, what exactly IS dead?

Again, thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by ladyannne

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ladyannne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Buff, I heard a great line today, and forgive me if I botch it a bit. We are not here as human beings having a spiritual experience, we are here as spirits having a human experience. Gives a whole new meaning to life, let alone 'death.'
I wholeheartedly agree about the sight of children, which opens up a ANOTHER question for me. (Gee, will these questions ever stop?) Had I not seen Polly at such a young age, I wonder how open I would have been to the same kind of experience as an adult.
I never did see her again, Frawin, but I think about her often and fondly.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
HI,really cool ghost story I liked it alot. Hope to here frome you again.
GIRLIE 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
You know, that is a relative question, ladyannne.
I see the difference from a seven year old perspective and the thoughts of an adult. I will be honest with you, I no longer have any clue what dead IS. All of the things I thought I knew, all of the lessons I thought I learned, all of the advice I thought I took, none of it really makes one iota of sense any longer. Not now.
I have seen and experienced a myriad of instances in which I KNEW someone was "dead", and still there they were all fleshy looking.
That is why I call them "Life impaired". 😊
I realize that was all probably a rhetorical question, but I could not resist sharing a bit. 😉
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hello ladyannne. Sometimes children can see what adults can not. Did you ever see her again after that night? Thank you for sharing your story with us, I really enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
You just stated my favorite question to which there will never be a definite answer. "Is there death?" is my next favorite.

Thanks for sharing.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Yes! That's where I read it! Thank you. I also remember reading the story of the house you lived in with your husband and children. It's hard to remember where you've read stories like yours while surfing the web! Thanks for the refresher!
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hi ladyanne. This is a great story to read. It could have been the spirit/ghost of Polly that you seen and she was saying one last bye to you and your family because you were very close. I really enjoyed reading this one. 😉
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hi Annie! My story is on my own website (packrat-pro.com) but I have never posted it elsewhere (kickback from the sixties and I don't remember?)...hmmmm... I would LOVE to know where the other posting might be if that is not where you read it.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hello, ladyanne. A lovely story. Tell me, have you posted this on another web site? I've read this before. If so, it's funny to find another ghost aficionado posting on other sites! 😁
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
What a wonderful story! It amazes me how children often posess the ability to see those and that which we can not.

Polly must have cared very much for your family to bid them farewell.

Thanks for sharing. This one is going right to my favorites!

God Bless!
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
I must have 'heard' you ask, Bette, ha ha. No, I never saw Polly again, although we moved out of that house within the year. My Mum and Polly were best friends, even closer after Polly was diagnosed with cancer, something I did not know until last week. I never mentioned that story to Mum until recently, having dug up all these experiences. While Mum is not a skeptic, she has never experienced anything of the sort. After all these years, she was not surprised, and quite pleased to hear I had seen Polly.
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
ladyannne-I ask and I shall receive. I just commented on your last encounter when I said that I couldn't wait for your next story, I didn't have to wait long. Did you ever see Polly again after that night?
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hiladyannne thanks for another story, I believe what you saw that night was Polly's spirit even though she was dead, her being such a sweet lady, she probably didn't want to leave her home or she was just letting you know that she was happy. Sorry I couldn't be of much help but it was a wonderful story. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: