You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: The Winchester Visit

Real Ghost Stories

The Winchester Visit

 

Of all the haunted places in my world, the Winchester Mystery House has to be my favorite. I was fortunate to have been raised in San Jose, and had toured the house over thirty times by the time I left the valley in 1988.

There is one room that has always been very active. The top floor in that area, old grey walls, particularly dark room. Climb the stairs, turn right to a corridor with storage cup boards on both sides of the walkway in the eaves, opening into the large room, several skylights in the floor, windows to the outside of the house.

In 1972, when the tour group I was with went up into that room, I saw that there was another group still in the room. Strictly a no no. You know how sometimes the guides will often hold your group back to wait for another to go on through another hallway?

This time, they didn't, and the room as quite crowded. Then, while standing about, I noticed their dress. Not right, something is amiss. Then one of the people in our tour literally walked through one of the people that were in the other group. Oh, to hold back that yelp! This was one of my very first experiences there, so I was silent and watching, my eyes must have been the size of saucers. My mind was racing miles a nano second.

Then, I saw someone I knew. He was watching me, hands in his coverall pockets, grinning that grin. He walked past me, behind me and back again to my side and just stood there. Grinning, peeking at me. He nodded and disappeared. He drowned July 6, 1969, the night of his bachelor party at Lexington Dam in Los Gatos, the night before our wedding. I never saw him again.

That upstairs room was always full of extra guests, no matter when I visited. Sometimes they are active, but most often they are quiet and lurking. When changes started to happen on a large scale (painting, renovating, furniture moved in) the activity became less and less frequent. The last time I toured, 2007, everything was extremely quiet, and we did not even see the room with the sky lights at all. 2008 note: That room is still oddly missing from the 2008 tour and the manager does not know which room I speak of.

Not another trip in all those years was THAT good.

Other hauntings by ladyannne

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ladyannne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sera (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-02)
I have been to the Winchester House as well and it is beautiful and spooky. Thank you again for an awesome story.
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-03)
This story is indeed, very interesting!
And that EVP from the link, gave me chills! 😢
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-17)
Buff, in regard to Sarah W, check out the link to the EVP, a few comments down. Unmistakable. Tell me what you think after you hear it. The woman who recorded that EVP was the woman who arranged the night at Preston, and she told the story of discovering the voice that night. Weeks after reviewing hundreds of recordings from the Winchester, expecting nothing, and suddenly, this one. You should have seen her face to tell the story. What bliss.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
Hi ladyannne, thanks for sharing another story of yours. I think he was smiling because he was able to see you again, knowing that you didn't see him anymore after what happened. This is another one that is going to my favorites. 😊 ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
Oooh. He was grinning?! How wonderful that he seemed happy to see you there.
Your added note is extremely interesting. I wonder what happened there? Kind of makes your mind go more than twenty five directions at one time, does it not?
I have always been fascinated with the Winchester House. For someone to spend so much time, and so much of her inheritance on building, rebuilding and tearing down a building just to appease, or confuse those in the afterlife is such a...
And Sarah herself, I can not help but WISH that it were possible to meet her. Do you happen to know if anyone has been successful in reaching her?
Thank you.
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Flutter, you can still go into the seance room, its a major stop on the tour. 😁
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
I found an INCREDIBLE EVP from the Winchester, thought someone might like to hear it.

Http://www.ghost-trackers.org/evp.htm
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-18)
Wow this story was great. I realy enjoyed reading it. I have heard of many ghost encounters but this one was the most interesting one. I would have liked to see your face when you noticed that the group of people werent realy a group of people! I hope to hear from you soon and take care
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Wonderful story! I, like many others, have researched the Winchester mansion and watched some of the documentaries and ghost hunts regarding Winchester, but I would imagine being there is a completely different experience!

God Bless!
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
HI, cool story. Maybe that is the room where all the ghost hang out in. Thanks for the story and hope to hear from you again.
GIRLIE 😁 ❤ 😉
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
The Winchester Mystery House has always been a favorite of mine for Ghost activity. Years ago one could go on the tour to the Seance room, now you can't go near it. Maybe that is the same about the sky lights in the floor. Their however is much activity there and a great place for a Psychic to go to.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Hello ladyanne. I say, that must have been a sight to see. I would have loved to have been with you and seen what you saw. I enjoyed your story very much, thank you for sharing it with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
I visited the Winchester Mystery House only two weeks ago. It truly is a fascinating destination. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything, but I did feel very unsettled from the moment I walked in, until the second I left. Perhaps because the "feng shui" of the place was non-existent due to her eccentric architectural ideas.
discodevil (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
i was born and raised in San Jose and have been to the Winchester Mystery House a few times. I never saw any ghosts when I went, but this is the best story about ghost encounters I've heard about that place. The history of that house is pretty interesting too. 😊
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Bette, Los Gatos is just minutes from San Jose. I THINK, (imho) that the Winchester used to be a good safe place for those who hover, to, well, hover. The more time passes, the less activity there, it seems.
His appearance, to me, was to check up on me, before he moved on to where ever. And, he knew where I would be, lol. After the shock of it wore off, I thought it was actually funny, almost like running into an old good friend at the market.
Welcome and thank you!
Blackout (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
Whoah that was a scary experience even for me becuase I'm just 11 years old and that would have freaked me out. 😲
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-13)
ladyannne-thank you for sharing your story. I am not familiar with the San Jose area, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question. How far away from San Jose is Los Gatos? Your fiance that drowned, why do you think you would see him here of all places?

I have seen the Winchester Mystery House on a few TV programs before. I think I would enjoy touring the house, even if I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Thanks again for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: