You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Mr X's Story

Real Ghost Stories

Mr X's Story

 

This happened to my mother, and has become one of those stories that "stays" in the family, to be trotted out from time to time.

This occurred before my birth, when my mother was left on her own with two little girls to support. She worked as a waitress.

How or where she met a truck driver I'll call Mr. X I don't know. The restaurant where she worked was in downtown Philadelphia, and she never really gave any account of how they met. Be that as it may, they fell in love and planned a life together.

Mr. X was a long-distance trucker, and he and Mom decided to move to Florida. There was one thing, though--he had one last trip to make before they could set to work on the various details.

Well, he'd given my mother the number to a truck stop somewhere in western North Carolina, one where he usually paused after crossing the Smokies from Tennessee.

The night before he was due to arrive there, Mom had a dream of a place she'd never been (and would never see in her lifetime). It was a mountainous area, and she saw a rig coming over from the other side. Something went very wrong, though, and it overturned, rolling three times.

Mom was never one to put much stock in anything that smacked of the psychic, but she mentioned it to her mother before she left for work at the restaurant.

Around noon, she called the truck stop. She'd done this often enough in the past that the men who worked there knew who she was. In true Southern fashion, they always called her 'Miss Dolly' (her name was Dolores).

Well, she placed the call and asked if Mr. X had come in yet, she was greeted with silence, then the man who'd taken the call said, "Hold on a minute, Miss Dolly, I'll go get Zip (the owner) right away!"

I think Mom knew what was coming. When Zip got on the line he told her there had been an accident. Mr. X had fallen asleep as he was crossing into North Carolina from Tennessee. The rig had rolled three times.

Mom went on with her life, of course, though I don't think she ever really forgot Mr. X. I know she never forgot the dream that had been, sadly, all too true.

There's a funny (strange, not ha-ha) postscript to this.

I moved to North Carolina and have lived here most of my adult life, something I'd never imagined in my childhood or adolescence. The story Mom had told us girls once upon a time in the Philadelphia metro area had become half-forgotten, a factoid I'd never even bothered to share with my boys.

Almost ten years ago my husband, my younger son, a friend of ours and her daughter, had to travel to Cookeville, Tennessee, to pick up her RV (long story there). On the way home, I had to drive our van, accompanied by my younger son, who was 17 at the time.

As I came east on I-40 in North Carolina, not far tom the Tennessee line, something seemed to tell me that I wasn't far from the spot where the accident had occurred all those years ago.

I shuddered involuntarily. My son asked what was wrong, and it was then that the story was passed on to another generation...

Other hauntings by libertybelle

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, libertybelle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
Troyarn, I'm sure that this same scenario has repeated itself over and over--especially in the late '40's and early '50's. After all, there was no interstate highway system and the rigs themselves were probably not yet equipped with some of the safety features they now have. So it isn't surprising, to me, that you may have heard of similar incidents. There is also the fact--even today--that a lot of long-distance truckers rely on stimulants of one sort or another to keep them alert, and I know that there are some who ignore the current rule that they can only drive for twelve hours.

All I can say positively is that I heard this from my mother, who was definitely NOT given to flights of fancy
--if there was ever anyone who would have dismissed her experience as impossible, it was she. Mom would have enjoyed a site like this, because she'd amuse herself for hours finding 'logical' explanations for all of these stories! 😊
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
This reads like a story I myself heard many years ago while living in the same area... From a lady who claimed to have once had a truck driving friend.

I am not saying this is not true, but it is almost the exact thing... Right down to the "one last haul to take" bit.
chloe6991 (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
It is a strange thing when dreams can give you visions of things that are yet to come. It is so strange how vivid they can be as well, sometimes a bit to much. Especially when it comes to death and other sad things.

Thanks for your story.
~Chloe 😁
sweet_girl (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
It is really a nice story. It must have been a kind of thrill/scare to be at the same place where Mr. X died.
It's sad that he died and they couldn't spend a life together. 😢

****Be Happy! Spread Smiles!****
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
Oh my Christy that sure must have been a scary moment for you and your son! As you say they were very lucky in a unlucky way. I'm glad that they are alive and that is the most important thing. But that feeling you got at night that's exactly what I'm talking about. You had no right of knowing this but you just knew that something is not right. I'm happy that they are all ok. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-27)
ChrisB, good to hear from you.

I know what you're saying--when my younger son was on his most recent deployment to Iraq, I woke up from a dead sleep sometime late on a Sunday night or early Monday morning. My right shoulder was hurting and I had the most awful sense of foreboding that didn't leave me--I even mentioned it to several friends.

Then, the following Wednesday morning, I got a call from my son's then-girlfriend, saying that Mark's barracks had taken a direct hit but that he was fine and he'd call me later.

A jet-propelled grenade had come through the wall between his bunk and the one next to him. His friend in the next bed had had both of his legs taken off, and there were three other men injured, but God be praised, no fatalities. Mark himself didn't have a scratch on him, but, ironically, he'd discussed with the man next to him the idea of trading bunk space earlier that day--he still gets the shivers when he thinks of how it turned out.

To this day, though, I still wonder if any of the three who were lightly enough injured to be back at the front within a few months had some damage done to a shoulder!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-27)
Wow what an amazing storry you sharred with us. Thank you for doing that. It must have been hard for your mom when Mr X passed away. But either his spirit wanted to let your mom know that he passed away or they were so close to each other that she knew. I hope I'm not confusing but there are times in life when we REALY know something happened even if there is no chance of us knowing that. Ok I'm getting cofused of my own words 😆.But I realy hope you underestand what I'm trying to say. Thanks again for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-26)
To all, thank you for reading and for your feedback I always enjoy the comments.

Frawin, I don't claim any sort of psyhic talent, but it DID seem a bit odd that I'd recall that story, which I hadn't thought of in ages, at that particular time--we were passing one of those huge mounds of sand they have at the ends of runaway truck lanes (I don't kow if that's their actual name or not, but it seems as good as any). I can certainly understand WHY the sand is there--sand's a lot more forgiving than the edge or side of a mountain.

Tonith, it was only when I read your post that I recall my mother telling me that Mr. X had a tendency to lace himself up on Coca-Cola and asprin when he was on the road--it came up when I was in middle school (junior high for oldtimers like me 😆) and had heard some kids talking about the high one could get from Coke and aspirin. Being square enough to fit into an ice cube tray, I never tried it, but when I mentioned it to Mom she said something to the effect of it was far from a new thing--"Mr. X was a Coke and aspirin fiend, too." she said matter-of-factly. Obviously she'd come to the point where she could talk about her lost love as casually as she could the weather.

Rhodes, one can never tell what can happen in life--had the story ended with their marrying, my two younger brothers and I might never have been born. Or we might have been born in different order, or the same order, or... You see how we can get lost in endless speculation, but I've always felt a certain degree of "what if" when I think of the story.

Once, when talking of the whole space/time continuum thing with my younger son (I think it was after Back to the Future was released), I told him that there were two theories I knew of. One was that any alteration in the past will lead to totally different outcomes in the future, and the other is that things would still be the same. I told him, "If your father and I had never met, you and and your brother would not have been born, according to the first idea. The second idea is that, had I not met your father when I did, somewhere else along the line we would have met and you and your brother would have been born."

Kind of a heavy conversation to have with a nine or ten-year-old, but this is a kid I once had to take with me to a party at one of my professors' homes when he was 13, and he held his own with the adults!

Again, thanks to all!

❤ ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-26)
Libertybelle thank you for sharing this experience with us. It is amazing how both you and your mom were subconsciously (your mom) and consciously (you) aware of Mr X's presence and what he was trying to communicate.

It's sad that your mother and he were deprived of a life together!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-26)
I believe people can have premonitions. They usually happen in the dream state. Some would say maybe your mother was always a tad worried about him sleeping at the wheel and it manifested into her dreams and it was a coincidence that the things she feared would happend, did happen. If it was a one time dream and she was not fearful about his job than I would have to say it was a premonition. Glad you told your kids. Stories like these should never fade away but be retold so our children know that there is more to life than our 5 senses.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-26)
Hello libertybelle. Thank you for sharing this story with us, I really enjoyed it. It brought back memories of my early days working in a truckstop. Since you picked up on the spot where Mr. X died, I would say that you and your mother both were/are psychic to a great degree.
I will be looking forward to your future stories. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: