You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Okay, Rupert

Real Ghost Stories

Okay, Rupert

 

I'm forever having things disappear--my car keys, my cell phone, books--you name it. Of course, they eventually show up again, usually in some place I've already looked. Is this annoying? Yes, extremely so.

Anyway, one day after this had happened for the nth time (it was my watch and rings that had gone missing), for no reason I just snapped, "All right, Rupert, knock it off!" I found my watch and rings where I normally put them-needless to say, I'd already checked there.

I don't know where the name Rupert came from-not, certainly, from Rupert Grint, the young man who portrayed Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter movies. I tend to put it down to another film entirely, an ancient one called The Longest Day, about the D-Day invasion. In the movie, the British dropped dummies out of planes, doll-sized figures to act as decoys to divert the Germans from the actual parachute landings. They were uniformly named 'Rupert.'

Well, Rupert seems to like his name. He still likes to move things, too.

But an odd thing happened the other evening.

I have cats, and the most recent addition is a little black one that appeared on my back doorstep last August, looking to be no more than about 5 weeks old. My husband named her Dot, because she was so tiny (and still is very small, even for a cat) and reminded him of the dot in things like dot com. My oldest son still calls her 'Little Black Dot.'

Well, Dot was in my room the other night. She was in a very affectionate mood (unusual for her) and I was holding and cuddling her. While I was doing this, I felt something touch my back, right in the middle. Of course, there was no one else there with me except for the cat.

Is my resident mover trying to reach out and touch now?

Other hauntings by libertybelle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, libertybelle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
As always, I appreciate all the feedback.

Interestingly enough, Rupert seems to have been pretty quiet lately. Nothing's gone missing, no touches, just things as normal--well, at least as normal as they get with me! 😆

Rhodes, nice to hear from you again. I'm not sure if Rupert is a misdirected soul or not. I do know this much, and that is that the subdivision I live in was a farm at one time and I strongly suspect that the house was pretty much where my house now is--last fall, when I was putting some political signs in my yard, I kept hitting bricks not too deeply buried.

Tonith, it was indeed a one-time thing, but my own gut feeling is that it was Rupert. Since things are now so calm, I wonder if he was bidding me goodbye.

Trudy, my life experiences have taught me that the greatest danger walks on two feet, not in an ivisible form. Talking to Rupert a bit sharplly was, to me, not unlike telling one of my kids to quit acting the fool--which they did on innumerable occasions when they were growing up.

KimSouthO, good to hear from you. Actually it began about six months ago, maybe less, but seemed to intensify after my stepson's girlfriend had a baby and brought him here when she came home from the hospital. I know that adolescents can often provide the energy poltergeists need, but a baby?

Konjou84, I didn't get a feeling of any real emotion from the touch. It was almost as if someone was trying to get my attention, then seemed to change his mind, if that makes any sense.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Welcome back Libertybelle and thank you for sharing another interesting encounter!

I have been reading your encounters with "Rupert" ever since they started and I find them fascinating because what began as Rupert's need for acknowledgement has "flourished" into a more personal interaction-something you have helped create.

What I'm trying to say is that I believe it is your naming him, your personalising him that has helped create this "bond" and it is only natural that his initial need to simply be felt and heard as a way of confirming his existence has developed into a more intimate "exchange" between the two of you.

He hides something only to remind you that he is still there and you ask it back only to have your "wish" become his "command", thus the "relationship" evolves. It is only natural that he would then attempt to accumulate all the energy needed to "touch" you, to "interfere" with your space to get closer to you. Why he chose that particular moment? Maybe because he wanted to address the affectionate you, the loving and tender woman who was expressing her love to the little kitten hoping that he will get the same affection back.

I don't really know if Rupert is a free spirit or someone trapped but I'm more inclined to believe he needs assistance to cross. No matter how comfortable he feels with you, no matter how much your home feels like his home, it is no longer HIS world and letting go is more appropriate.

If I were you, I'd "use" this connection you have with him to get him to cross. I'd speak to him as I'd speak to a living person and try to ease his fear of crossing over to the unknown. If he is able to enjoy such a bond with someone from a different realm as you, he should definitely be looking forward to meeting with his own people on the other side!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-02)
Sounds like poltergeist activity but I don't know about the touching thing. I don't know if once is valid enough to say you have a touching ghost. If the cat didn't react it may have been a muscle spasm not a spirit. Let us know if it happens again.
Trudy (92 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-01)
😆 I Love Rupert. I like your attitude a lot. You putting Rupert in his place.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-01)
it is possible that he or 'it' is reaching out or perhaps becoming more bold since you spoke directly to 'it'.

How long have you had these occurances in your home?

God Bless!
Konjou84 (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-01)
maybe he is jealous. I think he might have been trying to tell you he felt like you might have forgotten about him and he wants you to get along with him better. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: