You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Playful Shadow Girl

Real Ghost Stories

The Playful Shadow Girl

 

I've had a few run-ins with unexplained phenomenon in the past but I have always just ignored these things and looked the other way. That has all changed since I moved into my new home. The house was a little run down when me and two of my friends moved into it, so we started remodeling right away. We had lived in the house for maybe three months without anything happening, then we stripped the wallpaper off in the living room. On the old paint under the wall paper was a single child sized brownish red hand print, we didn't really think much of it at the time and simply painted over it. A few days later we noticed that the hand print was still visible through the primer and two coats of white. We tried painting over it three more times and it still showed through. We eventually just painted the room a dark brown to hide it.

After the hand print was covered weird things started to happen, we have a book on WWII on our coffee table. This book is always closed, but all three of us started to notice that even if we closed the book right before we left when we got home it would be opened to a map of Europe. We now just leave the book open to that page. Then lights started coming on by themselves. My girlfriend stayed alone at the house one night, I ended up having to leave a conference and come home because she called me panicked the lights in the basement and first floor kept turning on by themselves. She would come down stairs turn them all off, go upstairs look back and they would all be on again.

Things falling of tables, loud thumps and bangs in the night, things have been happening that seem like someone wants our attention.

One night I was doing the dishes when a light fixture fell from the ceiling onto the floor, I went in got a step ladder and put it back into place, as I walked back into the kitchen the fixture fell again. I got back on the ladder fixed it again making sure it was secure. Right as I was sure it was in place without thinking I said "You'll have to do better than that to scare me" right as I said that a spice rack in the kitchen fell off the wall and landed about six feet away making a very loud bang. I immediately said "that worked".

These happenings have always been done by an unseen force until recently.

I got out of bed in the middle of the night to get a drink in the kitchen I noticed as I walked by the basement door that the pull string light in the basement was on. I didn't really feel brave enough to go into the basement and turn it off so I just left it be and went to the kitchen. As I walked back from the kitchen I noticed the light was off in the basement and that the door to the spare bedroom across from the basement door was cracked open. I looked into the room to make sure no one was in the house; the room was empty so I closed the door and headed back to my bedroom. Half way down the hall I heard the spare bedroom door creaking back open, I turned around and saw what looked like the shadow of a small girl run from the bedroom into the basement. I freaked and ran back to my room, since then both of my roommates have seen the shadow of a small girl in and around the spare bedroom and the basement.

I don't feel threatened by whatever is here it just seems to want to be acknowledged.

I just wanted to share these stories with you all.

I'll keep everyone posted on new developments because I don't think things will be stopping anytime soon.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, below_you, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spica (2 stories) (55 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-06-02)
I used to have chills when I read scary stories, but this one gave me the creeps...

GOD BLESS!
Spica ❤
geniecompfort (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
oh wow when I red that it gave me chills. I think you should to show the girl your here and then maybe see why she is there
xKalmuneiu (5 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
That's extremely sad if the little girl has met her fate in the way some people have suggested. But I agree, do a little research, see what can be unearthed. It'd be really, really exciting if something does happen with the doll or the colouring book.
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
below you -
Thanks for sharing your story with us!

I am in agreement that it sounds like the spirit of a little girl is trying to get your attention. If it weren't for finding the handprint on the wall, I'd suggest that you try to determine if there was another house on that same tract of land. Sometimes spirits haunt the land itself, not just their house, belongs, a person, etc. However, that handprint makes it sound too much like the little girl lived in that very house.
That handprint is kind of chilling... And so very sad because it does sound like blood. I think libertybelle is correct about a strong possibility of child abuse that went unnoticed. My heart goes out to that little girl.

I am curious to see if the doll and/or the crayons & coloring book you bought for her produce any results. She doesn't appear to be harmful to you, just mischievious. Maybe she has been waiting a long time for you to come live there, to be able to sense her and acknowledge her presence. Please keep writing to tell us what happens!

Blessings to you!
ParaTam ❤
below_you (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-15)
I have a question to ask... Is it possible for a spirit to use an existing audio device to speak audibly? I've heard of EVPs and all of that but can a spirit use a TV, or radio speaker to communicate through? I'm just trying to figure out if we've all gone crazy here or if we have a real reason to be freaked out.
triscint (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-15)
This story freakes me out. A child haunting this house? Makes me curios. Have you ever looked at the history of the house? Maby there's something more to that hand print that meets the eye. My opion do research. 😕
Chaos (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
it may be death that the girl is attached to the house but if there is no personal harm coming to you or any one else there should be no problem. Child ghosts like it when you know they are there. There is a fine touch with child ghosts though you can't just let them do as they please but if you anger them they will become quite dangerous. I suggest you kind of play with it. Make a few rules for it too don't be angry when talking to it and don't challenge it. But in a soft voice let it know when it has dome something you don't like and ask it not to do it. Let it know what it can play with too. As I read you said you bought a doll and coloring books. I can't wait to hear if something will happen. Child ghosts can be fun if you are on good terms with them. Just don't anger her. We all know that children throw fits but when they have power and throw a fit it can be dangerous.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
Often spirits don't like it when you change anything in the house, e.g painting it.
The story about the girl was interesting, she may not have died there buy she could've been attached to the house. Could you get a name? Maybe you can find out more about what happened to her, she might still be alive.
Good Luck and thanks for sharing ❤
below_you (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
We actually already bought one, it's a little baby doll you can get at any dime store. We've put it in the spare bedroom and marked down exactly where it is placed with tape. I'll let you all know if anything happens with it. Also we put some crayons in the basement with some coloring books. I know it's a long shot but it sure would be cool if something happens with them. Man I hope no one I know finds out I'm buying toys for a ghost.
Scarredsomtimes (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
I know this might seem odd but depending on her age maybe pick up a doll for her so that way maybe you can reach out to her and be able to communicate with her in hopes to maybe having her cross over.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
It seems she is after some attention and likes playing around, have you ever thought of speaking to it out loud? This could help but you might not like the responses you get also. Has she been hiding things in your house? 😕
kellbellcutie (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
If she wants attention so bad why don't you try ignoring her for awhile and see if she'll start doing bigger things possibly on camera to get your attention. Maybe she'll even show herself to you.
below_you (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
mandalyn: the house is located in Lawrence. I'm not sure who else I can talk to about this house, it was a foreclosure when we bought it. I think she might know I'm talking about her right now because the basement door just slammed.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I just got a cold prickly when I read the report you had from your neighbor.

In the 1960's no one paid much mind to child abuse; if a child was being battered he/she was often described as 'sickly' in order to keep the secret and to fob off school authorities.

That, coupled with a brownish red handprint beneath the stripped wallpaper that kept showing through light colored paint--well, it just makes me wonder...
gloriavox123 (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
It seems as if the spare room and the basement are frequented by the shadow girl. You should maybe talk to the person you rented or bought it from and ask if they know anything about it being haunted.
below_you (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
I talked to my sweet little old neighbor lady about the house after I got off work today. She says the house was built in the sixties, the first family that lived here had a six year old daughter that was pretty sickly but she thinks that the family had moved out after living here for about two years. She said she doesn't remember anyone ever dying here but the house is almost always for sale and has new owners all the time.
winx717 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Definitely creepy... I too think that she just wants help or maybe attention. Poor little thing... You should try to look up the history of the place, maybe you cn try to talk to her.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Where is this at? I'm from Kansas, so that's why I'm asking. Also, there is a website that I am a moderator on called www.strangeusa.com and we compile a list of different haunted places in each state. You should post this one on there, I think it would be a great story to have on the site. That's up to you though and you don't have to if you don't want to.
mgtor (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
You should do some research to find out if a little girl died there. She wants you to find something out that is why she makes all the noise. She wants help of some sort look into it fast. Maybe she is giving you warning of something. I heard that when a small spirit is trapped sometimes a bad spirit clings to them to do some harm. Good luck tell us what you find out.
Dantheman (7 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
i don't think that she is a threat to you at all, I just think like you said she just wats to be acknoledged, but I would keep an eye on her activity, just to make sure.

Good luck-Dan*
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
the Hand mark may hve been a sign for help. She may be traped to that house. Some one may have killed her and never had her body found. Look at the house's history and see if you can find any one like that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: