You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Heater Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Heater Man

 

It has taken me a long time to be open about what happened to me when I was 5. But I guess it's better now then never to share my story.

Before my father committed suicide, every late night/early morning it would start as what looked like eyes on the basement door. They were very evil looking eyes and always meant that "he" was coming. When I say he I mean "The Heater Man" I called him this because when you are young and things come out of nowhere you associate it with where you think it comes from. My idea being the space heater we had on the floor. He would come every night and sit at the foot of my bed. He was a mix of a milky white and deep dark black. He did not have a normal face. When I saw his face from the side, it looked as though he had something long and sharp sticking out from it. He would never touch me, but the feeling he gave out was pure terror. He was not a nice spirit at all.

One night (usually I hid under the covers pulled over my head, lying on my tummy) I got the strength to sit up and lean forward to almost touch him. When I got closer and had my hand out. He turned quickly around to face me, and I'll never forget those eyes.

Deep black, like two voids of nothing. They were the same eyes that appeared on the basement door watching me every night. I quickly jumped back under the covers and hid until morning.

It was that morning that my father hung himself in the basement. I still cannot help but feel as though the "heater man" was the reason. No one had any clue about my father doing what he did; he showed no signs and was perfectly fine until that night I reached out to the "heater man". The morning that he did what he did, my mother was in the living room and heard a large slamming sound. When she checked it out, the screen door was completely bent from the inside.

Was this the "heater man" leaving the home? I don't know.

About 3 years ago the owners of that house were having a yard sale, and offered us to come in and take a look around at that house. (I guess it wasn't rented in at the time still) Everything was peachy until I reached the room where all those events took place. And it hit me like a ton of bricks. The energy there was too much for me to handle and I was sent into a major panic attack.

I will never return to that house... Ever again.

Other hauntings by AlwaysHaunted

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AlwaysHaunted, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-21)
I was kind of interested in what the long and sharp thing was sticking out from (it?). Also, have you seen anything like that since? If you haven't I was wondering if your young mind was dealing with the suicide of your father in the only way that it knew how.
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-12)
I have seen these dark evil eyes that speak of when I was in boot camp for the marine corps in 2001 at Parris Island S.C I consider them harbinger of trouble as I broke both my legs shortly after seeing them, also I am sorry for your lose.
AlwaysHaunted (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
As a matter of fact, I have had paranormal experiences almost everyday for the past 16 years It's an ongoing thing. I don't even have to be home to have them either.
Im not sure what the thing was sticking out of it's face, but it just wasn't right. My experiences can range from dull to violent. I have pictures on my comp of bruises I got on my thigh and a distinct hand print on my face after I was slapped.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
I agree with Phoenix77. Please don't ever return to that house! Obviously this spirit wasn't very friendly (as you said) and didn't want your family around. 😢
I'm not sure if the spirit you saw had anything to do with your father's death. I'm not an expert in that area. 😕 Sorry.
I am also sorry for your family's loss.

God Bless.
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
I'm sorry to hear about your dad but you shouldn't blame yourself for anything. That heater man sounds pretty terrifying, I don't think I could have stayed in that room much less worked up the courage to reach out to it! I'm sure you've been asked this already but do you know the history of the house? And has anything paranormal happened to you since you moved?

You're very brave for opening up about this, thanks for sharing!
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
Sorry about your dad. You are so strong, I could never live without my dad.
The figure's eyes remind me of horror movies monsters. How was this mix like? Like they were swirling together? Like something that clashed together in the middle? Please a bit of clarification would help me understand.
Apocalypse (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
Ive never seen a spirit I'm not sure I want to either x'D sorry about your dad. I know this sounds strange and stuff but if he hung himself it's a bit of a bad place considering if you decided to go down there and saw him hanging... Well one you would be terribly upset seeing a dead person that was your father and the fact you would never go into a basement again. And about the "spirt" I really don't know o___o
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
I, too, am sorry for your family's loss. I don't care for the black image that sat in your room. I have no patience for anyone (living or dead) who willing terrifies children. I do hope you adhere to your decision to never return to that room, listen to your gut. There is a resaon why you felt the energy, there is a reason why you dislike that stranger you just met and there is a reason why you feel the need to leave new places or rooms. We all have the instinct of fear for our safety, trust it. Blessed Be 😉
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
From the side, his face looked like it had something long and sharp sticking out of it? Like he had a contorted bone, or a long nose?

I am very sorry about your father. The black-void eyes you discribed strike me as disturbing. He could have been there to represent what your father was secretly going through, or he could have been a negative influence in your father's life. Either way, I am fairly sure he had something to do with your father leaving this world the way that he did. It would explain why he never showed up again after the incident.
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
I'm sorry about what happened to your dad... About the man, I know nothing about it. Never came across its articles or whatsoever... It must've been hard...
Um, one question though...
He had something long and sharp sticking out from his what...?
I'm not sure if I misread anywhere... 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: