You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Heater

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Heater

 

Somewhere about 20 years ago, I was a newly married guy renting a very old house. It was supposedly built in 1906, though I can't verify it. I DO know it had a single heating vent in the center of the living room floor. It was probably about three feet square, as I recall, and cast iron. Directly below the vent was the oil heater located in the unfinished basement.

About once a week, my new bride and I would hear a CLANG from the heating vent. I originally wrote it off as regular expansion and contraction of the metal but then we noticed that when it would happen it was always at the same time: 1 AM.

I could replicate the sound by standing on it and shifting my weight, making the metal vent rock in place a tiny bit. So, the 'how' of it was answered, but that opened up the 'who' question. Who was walking through our living room at one in the morning?

One night I happened to be awake and watching TV in the living room when the vent rocked and make that sound. The oft mentioned cold zone moved past me as well, so I knew it was a ghost. I never did see anything.

A few months later, a friend of ours moved into the finished attic. After about a week, he came screaming down the stairs saying that someone was up there. He described a man who was 50-ish, balding and attired in average everyday clothes (nothing unique about him, really) who was floating over his bed, staring down at him with a look of curiosity.

I made the assumption that he just wanted to know who this new person living in the house was. Nothing bad had ever happened while we lived there, so I wasn't very concerned about it. Our friend moved out shortly after that, though.

This was a long time before the Internet and I really didn't want to go through piles of papers at the library trying to find out who this man was, so I just forgot about it. I'd search for it now, but I don't even remember the address.

Just thought I'd share the story, and let you know not all spirits are mad or vengeful. Some are just curious.

Other hauntings by Grinder

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Grinder, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jeepgrl16 (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
i bet that when this ghost of this guy was living that he was nosey and curios 😉
aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
This sounds spooky. It's hard to know why some ghosts are spooky and strange.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-13)
Sounds as if someone loved or was other wise attached to the home and wanted to see who was living there. I am with Rhodes. Theory is it takes tremendous energy to manifest, if this 'being' was meerly curious, there was probably no need to maifest.

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-13)
Hi Grinder Thanks for sharring another great story with us. I am not surprised that your friend moved so quickly out of the house. After an incident like that you would too 😆.I have to say that tyhe place must have been interesting. To bad you forgot the adress. It sure would be nice to know what spirit haunts the place. Thanks again. I hop[e to hear fromn you soon and take care
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-12)
Maybe the attic is where he died and he didn't want no one to bother his so called space. Or could be as simple as what rhodes68 said he was just curious.
GreenNails (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-12)
Yes. Some Ghosts Just Wants Their
Own Space. Very Freaky But I Never Encounted That Before. 😊
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-12)
Thank you, Rhodes...

I agree with your idea about the materialization. That could very well have been what he was attempting to do. Or perhaps the attic was simply 'his' space. You can never tell, I suppose.

At any rate, no harm was done, so I'm grateful for that.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-12)
Grinder thank you for coming back with another interesting encounter. Too bad you couldn't search the possible identity of that man back then but I suppose I might have done the same if I had to stick my nose in an endless pile of papers.

Like you said he must have been just curious about the new residents of HIS house although I have a feeling that he was pretty selective. You said you heard him simply walking about. That might have been something he did out of habit but it could also indicate he was checking up on his new roommates. Chosing to walk about while you were sleeping was the most discreet thing to do.

What happened to your friend in the attic though wasn't the same thing. To put it plainly, if I were a ghost or spirit and didn't like someone so very much, I'd choose to materialise up to the point that I'm clearly visible and float over their head. Catch my point? That would have scared them away without hurting them in any way of course. Could the attic have been his own personal space? Maybe or maybe he thought you were getting a little too crowded in there!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: