You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Shadow In The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow In The Woods

 

One day when I was nine I was walking through the woods in my backyard. I have a very large forest where many creepy things have happened, and this was one out of about 100.

I was walking through the woods, unaware that anything possibly could go wrong, when I saw a flash of light across a hole in the ground. I quickly walked over, oblivious that I probably should not. I peered in the hole and I literally saw a snake slithering into the ground. I turned around and saw a dark shadow running into the woods. It was about six or seven feet tall and was just gliding around the woods in the distance. It was literally gliding, about one foot of the ground.

I started to run, but about 100 feet ahead in my path I saw the same apparition. So I started to run harder, harder than I had ever run. I had a gun in my hand, but involuntarily dropped it on the ground. I glanced up, and I could have sworn I saw a squirrel jumping from branch to branch above me. I looked ahead and still saw the shadow gliding a whole 12 inches off the ground, staying about 100 feet away from me no matter ho hard I ran. I didn't know if I was chasing it or if it was chasing me. (Mind that I was about 1 mile out in the woods, and my house was about 2 miles away.) I ran on harder, the shadow gliding in front of me, the squirrel above me, and a deep, monotone voice laughing behind me.

All of a sudden I tripped, and everything vanished. The squirrel, the shadow, the laughing. A weird calmness came over me, and I ran the rest of the way home without stopping once. Even to this day, I almost feel the shadow watching me every time I go into those woods.

Other hauntings by buckle123

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, buckle123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dimlight39 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
What's with the squirrel? I mean, if it's in the woods, then there's no reason for a squirrel not to be there... Whut's up with that? 😕
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-08)
mmmmm...Yow?! Maybe just to "HIKE", thus the moniker "hike".- 1 a: to go on a hike b: to travel by any means
2: to rise up; 3: to traverse
WReck72 (1 stories) (116 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-07)
to answer your question vulcan10 he lives in Virginia. There are a handful of states in the US where if you out hiking or whatever bringing a gun isn't that uncommon. I have gone out shooting with my brothers or friends many times just as something to do. Guns are thought of very differently based on where you are from. If you think about it if you are going out hiking in the woods is there any reason not to bring a gun?
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-07)
why did you have the gun with you? And that seems pretty far. Where was this? Did you ever go back for your gun? And the squirrle thing, that's quite common around here. I've heard of them dragging off a baby and raising it on their own.
Leomhann (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-07)
Interesting story. I've had similar happen in a flood plane I go to sometimes. Its a heavily wooded park when its not flooded (only floods every 100 years or so). I have several theories on what it could be, but we won't get into that 😁. Thanks for sharing!
RoseWolfe82 (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-07)
Hmmm well I believe I would stay out of the woods. That's kind of weird sounds like a dream I had once... Without the gun and snake:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: