You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Troubled House

Real Ghost Stories

The Troubled House

 

Could four teenagers living in one house create so much negative energy as to manifest in something like paranormal activity? Or, perhaps the pubescent hormones attracted paranormal entities like kids to candy. Or, maybe it had nothing to do with us and everything to the land, past history, or none of the above. Who can tell for sure? Whatever the cause was, the effect was a bad place to live in for almost everyone in that house, me especially, it would seem.

When I turned twelve, my family was whisked away from a happy life in a small mining town in the northern Rockies of British Columbia, Canada to live in a boring city on Vancouver Island. I was always an adventurous, childish kid who still played with teddies so the ways of the city kids with their drugs and sex revolted me. I was lonely and began hanging out with other loners. We would smoke but were otherwise still well behaved and imaginative. Even so, nothing strange happened in the house until we moved to Alberta for a year and a half and then back.

During our time on the Prairies, our house had seen a grow op. By two tenants even I with my thirteen year old eyes perceived to be fishy, and a family of nine. Both tenants badly damaged the house but the second managed to pretty much destroy it, costing my parents a lot of money and sending everyone but my father back to live there. There were signs that the children, shoved 2-4 to each room, had been locked in. They windows screens had also been kicked out, there were holes in the walls, white baby hand prints on my parents' bathroom and bedroom doors, and scratch marks at the very bottom of the inside of my door. All in all, it was a little weird.

My sister and I were very unhappy to be back in Nanaimo and I know my mother was lonely. I'm not too sure about my brothers but my oldest was certainly an angry guy and had tried to hurt me a couple times. Either way, the last tenants could have left a negative atmosphere but we certainly didn't help it.

Many many things happened in this house to a few of us living there as well as guests. Not all of them are paranormal but I'll stick to paranormal in this section, anyway.

In my troubled youth I was depressed and moody. I often refused to go to school but instead slept during the day and read or wrote stories at night. I also happened to have the room right next to the stairs that lead to the main floor. Often in the middle of the night I would hear footsteps coming up the stairs. Now and then it would be one of my older brothers; coming up for a late night snack from the kitchen, but usually it didn't seem so. The house was old and poorly built. There were many squeaky spots on the upstairs floor one could follow another's movements by ear but the stairs were especially bad. Often I could hear slow footsteps ascending the steps one at a time. Sometimes they made it to just the top step and stopped altogether but other times the footsteps only made it to the landing and stopped.

Another time I came into my bedroom and found a clothes hanger that I left hanging on my closet door swinging wildly. I tried over and over again to get it to swing at all by my opening the bedroom door or walking by it but it didn't happen. Soon after that on the same night I was sitting in bed reading and noises-scratching and knocking- started up in my closet. I got freaked out and slept in my sister's room that night.

This is just a brief glimpse at all that happened in that house. More (and the worst!) is to come.

Other hauntings by Violet_Sidhe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Violet_Sidhe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-23)
Hi Violet,

Thanks for sharing. It seems as if you have much to tell in many areas... I hope you continue to write as it is one of the best forms of release and renewal. I do believe energy can help the paranormal manifest and I will be sharing a story about that soon. I had a similar experience with hangers... Clinging in a closet with no explanation only to find out later that that house had mice and that seemed to be the culprit. Not to say that is the cause of your experience but just another explanation. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more from you.
BrooklynNikoleS (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-22)
Considering I am a teen, This really creeped me out. I posted a sotry from the buxton inn. Its on the account IntoThDark
Erebus (18 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-15)
I'd like to tell you that in spite of the story, you are really talented for writing. You could do it as a work! I really liked reading all of them. For the ghost part, I'm pretty sure that you took part to those events on a random case, but it could be interesting analyze if you are "gifted" in other way, fir example channeling.
ghostlygirl3512 (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-15)
Holy. Crap.

That would have terrified me in the closet!

No matter how much we tell ourselves that we're not scared, we still can be.
Really, ghosts are nothing to be afraid of. They can't hurt you. A poltergiest might try to, and a demon can. But you don't have a demon.
If anything, a poltergiest neverby picked up on the negative energy and started bugging you guys. Footsteps are most common with repeat hauntings, that really don't do much.
The hanger thing is pretty creepy. Do you have AC in your house? If so, the vent may have just turned on and it couldn't started swinging, but again, I'm not sure it would make it swing that fast.
The closet is just plain scary. I always hated closets anyways, so this would just suck for me, and probally you too. Anyways, I suggest that you burn sage all around the house to drive out negative energies and maybe even draw a pentagram on your closet door in water.
Also, DEMAND that the spirit leaves. Still act kind of nice, but keep your voice firm.
And try and remove negativity cause that could just make things worse. Things like poltergiest draw energy from negativity. To keep negative stuff away from you imaginge a ball of white light surronding you while thinking "Nothing can touch me, no negativity will cross me..." Something along those lines.
Hope this helps!

Blessed be
Lolli ❤
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-13)
Hi Violet... I experienced something very similar as a child. I was much younger than you when it started, but young girls are often the center of poltergeist activity. Though it's terrifying, we often don't realize that we are actually the direct CAUSE of the activity. I too, heard the knockings in the closet and the scratching on the walls. And it scared the crap out of me. 😢
purpleflowers (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-11)
omg! That's scary! Especailly that its in the closet!:
I hope that doesn't happen to me, cause we just moved into a new house so. (😨
Scarygirlfreak (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-10)
Am Hoping That Part two will be a little more scary because this one it was very confusing to me... It looks like you moved to a lot of places...wow,yeah scratching and everything could seem paranormal but it didn't seem so to me
Lillithia (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-10)
I've read a fair share of peoples ghost stories, and I'm quite surprised by all the incidents of paranormal phenomena occurring with/in closets. Well, on to part two.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: