You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: 1781

Real Ghost Stories

1781

 

My story begins in Door County, Wisconsin. Being Wisconsin, there are, of course, dairy farms. It was at one of those dairy farms that I work at.

One day when I was making the rounds feeding the calves, about five months ago, I was giving one of the older pens of calves their grain. I noticed one of the calves was standing back from everyone else, not rushing to eat. I still remember her number. 1781. After I fed the pen their food, I stood and watched 1781, as it was my job to report sick calves to my boss, and also, that this one suffered from the flu on several occasions. 1781 did not really move for the whole minute that I watched her. All she did was stare at me and shuffle her feet a bit. Getting bored, I got in the truck and drove away to find my boss. When I found him, I told him and he wrote the calf number down and said he would check on her later. I thought nothing more on it and left for the day.

When I went into work the next morning I looked everywhere for 1781 but I couldn't find her. I asked my boss if she had to be put down and he said she wasn't there. I questioned him further and asked what he meant. He then said he checked his computer and that 1781 "didn't exist anymore". I gave him a sideways look and asked when she died. Apparently, she died two weeks before.

My boss walked off, laughing nervously and shaking his head. I shook mine too, but in disappointment. I had let a ghost calf get the better of me.

Other hauntings by Brier

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Brier, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Blue12 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-05)
It was probably coming back to show you that it was by and it was okay
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-16)
Everything does happen here. There's a nature preserve that gives people a feeling of being watched, even during the daytime. It's not to far from where I live. I've always wanted to try to record evps there but I'm a big chicken...
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
I know Door County well, and can believe this story! Parts of the county are almost mystical - like anything could happen here!
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
One thing I should have cleared up a long time ago: whoever edited my story on this site said the calf had the flu. What the calf really had was pneumonia. It's different for calves.
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
Yeah go ahead. You can just credit me as a local farm worker or if you want to use my first name, its Leslie.
birdwriter (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
Hi Brier,

I am an author working on a book of Door County ghosts, and I'd love to use your calf story in my book. Do I have your permission to do so? Also, let me know how you would like me to credit you for the story (name or nickname).

Thanks!

Gayle S.
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
famous? I doubt I'd go THAT far. It was just a (probably common) sighting of a ghost calf.
ghost_hunter101 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
Wow. That sounds like a real good ghost story! I haven't read something like this! You need to tell someone about it because it could make you famous. I'm not kidding, that was so cool! I loved listening to it and how you tried finding every single way to put it down that it wasn't a ghost, and yet it was! SO COOOL and I loved you story. 😊
MysteryVin (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
Wow. Animal spirits are as clever as when they were alive. Wow.
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-29)
nope troyarn. I got the number right. I was about 15 feet from the calf and was staring right at her. Also, I have a notebook. It helps me remember;)
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
hey briar, thanking the animal for the meat isn't wierd at all if I take a branch from a tree or pick some wild flowers in the woods I alwasy say a thank you out loud to the woods or tree what gets a bit weird though is when I have just used the auto teller and a thank you slips out I get odd looks from the que behind me 😆
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
Might have been a wrong number or something. Still, weird story.
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
no I haven't had anymore ghostly encounters at that farm... Well if I did, I don't know it. With all the cows there, I would think some of them come back after they die.

Cows are almost as smart as horses. I have a few pet cows/calves on that farm that love being pet.

About eating meat, I like it. I just thank the animal for the meat. Sounds weird, yeah.
GhostGirl4Evere (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
Wow that makes me feel good that it's not just me who sees ghost animals.
Oli (2 stories) (74 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
Kinda creepy but cool at the same time. Have you had any other experiences at this dairy farm?
bexscowz06 (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Ah the poor little calf. Least its out its pain now.

I love the thought that animals can visit us too. Makes the pain of losing a pet more
Bareable.

😁 ❤
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
now that has just put me off eating beef for good not that I eat it anyway we don't like to think of our food as having a soul but there you go (and before someone says it yes I know residual, stone tape theory and all that) but still that's made me realy sad because cows don't get much love or afection in life do thay so if any animal deserves to go into the light its cows especialy a little calf. 😢 😠 😢
Noelle11 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Hahaha, that actually really awesome. And interesting. This is a long to think about. I used to hear my dads' old dog's nails on the kitchen floor right after he passed, along with him coming in my room to sleep on the bed. (That on was creepy) But that all stopped year ago.
I had actually almost forgotten about that dog. I'm glad I remember, thank you!
trueckl (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
I live not far from you near Kewaunee and I too have encountered some strange happenings with animals' spirits. I have seen the full body, fully detailed and in color spirit of my mother in-law's dog that had just passed a month before, as did my son and my mother in-law at the exact same time. My son has also seen the spirits of cats. I think all animals have spirits just as we do. Many people believe that spirits are only reserved for the higher beings in life, but I myself believe that we are all put here for a purpose, and each form of life (animal or human) is a part of our spiritual evolution. This is just my belief.
isis80 (3 stories) (51 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Animals have spirits too, I firmly believe that. I feel badly for the little calf. Your story has an eerie feel to it. Good read.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: