You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Benjamin

Real Ghost Stories

Benjamin

 

I will start by telling you about the house. The house is a side-by-side and was built probably in the 60's or 70's (purple shag carpet was in one of the rooms in the basement, lol).

On Halloween (cliché, I know), before the house was sold to us, the neighbours across the back lane noticed that the light was on in the Master Bedroom and made a mental note to tell the Real Estate Agent next time they saw her. A few days later they saw her and told her about the light and she looked puzzled and said that the power to the house is shut off every time she leaves and that there is no way the light could have been on. Weird.

When we moved in we noticed writing on the door to the crawlspace in one of the basement bedrooms that said "the ghost lives here" and "Benjamin's room" (hence the name Benjamin). We figured it was the previous owners kids or something that wrote it and didn't think too much of it (at the time we didn't know that other people had experiences with the supernatural there).

I was 12 when we moved into there. Also, at this time my parents had gotten back together (if you read my last story they were separated). Apparently he has been there for quite a long time. The neighbourhood that we live in is like a small town. Everyone knows everyone and I went to school with and was friends with someone who used to live in my house and was the same age as me. I remember asking him shortly after we moved into the house if he noticed that it was haunted and he said yes and that he used to hear weird noises all the time but never went into any detail.

At first we didn't notice anything amiss. Nothing out of the ordinary happened at all. I don't even remember the first time that I knew something was there with us so I will give you a rundown of the events as I remember them.

We got this dog named Shadow and this dog would sit in the living room and bark and stare at one spot above the couch incessantly. It was like he could see something that we could not. Eventually, and I hate to be a bad pet owner but it really wasn't my fault (lol, blame the parents!) we had to give the dog away as we couldn't handle his constant barking at "nothing" anymore.

One day my Mom was mopping the floor and she all of a sudden couldn't move the mop at all. My Mom is a real no bull kind of lady and so she got mad and yelled "LET GO!" and right away she was able to continue mopping on her merry way. Another time she was in the bathroom and she started smelling strong cigarette smoke so, again, she got angry and said "I would like some privacy please", and just like that it was gone. Perverted little ghost if you ask me. That's my MOTHER!

Anyways, my sisters both slept downstairs in the basement and I slept upstairs in the room beside my parents.

My sisters both remember hearing things in the basement and slept with their doors closed. I don't think either of them ever saw anything.

My parents again decided to separate and me and my sisters all moved out. I would go back to visit to my Dad and sleep over (my sister's have a different father so they didn't go back) and started to notice things happening. My room remained where it was, beside my Dad's. One night we had both gone to bed and been there for maybe five minutes when we heard cupboard doors slamming open and closed. I thought it was my Dad (not really) and he thought maybe it was me. We asked each other in the morning if it was the other but it wasn't.

Another thing that happened was that I walked into the kitchen and the light exploded.

My room used to get VERY hot, almost unbearably hot. I would ask Benjamin to please stop and the temperature would go back to normal.

When I moved my bedroom downstairs, things got a little more strange. While I was laying in bed at night if I had my door open I could hear someone walking down the hall and it sounded like they were dragging their feet. It would go on and on. Eventually, after getting scared so often, I would close my door when I went to sleep. This seemed to help and I didn't notice much anymore after that, unless of course my door was open.

I was laying in bed one night with my boyfriend and he had just fallen asleep. We were laying back to back and I was still awake. All of a sudden a stuffed animal fell off of my bookcase headboard and something pulled my hair. Thinking it was him I turned around and smacked him, called him an expletive and asked why he pulled my hair. He groggily woke up, rolled over, and told me he had no idea what I was talking about. I know it wasn't him because the only way for him to have done that would have been to move, and I would have felt him as I was still awake.

Another time, my girlfriend was sleeping over and we had just gone to bed when a book fell down off of my headboard and hit us both in the head. The thing about this was, I grabbed this book earlier off of my headboard and noticed that I must have put it in something sticky earlier so instead of putting it back on my headboard I put it beside my bed, sticky side up, so that it didn't get on the wood. I confirmed with my Stepmom that she was not in my room and no one else was home that day. After this happened my girlfriend (now wife) looked up and saw a black figure near my bookcase. All she could see was the outline of the head though and that was it.

Also, when I am in my Dad's living room, out of the corner of my eye I see something standing and peeking it's head out of the hallway (or that's how it seems). I can't make out any details, only that it is a white-smoky coloured figure.

It does this only when I am in the living room (until recently) and only at my Dad's. I have tried to replicate what I am seeing in other people's homes, in other rooms, etc. But to no avail. I have only seen it away from the living room once and it was after I hadn't been at my Dad's in a while. I came over with my wife and child one day and we had spent the whole day there talking and just hanging out. We were all sitting in the kitchen and having our normal conversation and suddenly I see something out of the corner of my eye. It looks like it's peeking in at me through the entrance to the kitchen (which is the other end of the hallway that leads to our living room).

I told my parents and partner that I could see Benjamin and that he was there. My Stepmom calls it "voodoo crap" and said that I can't see anything and there is nothing there. My Dad and partner don't really say anything. He stays there (I can only see his image out of the corner of my eye) for about 5-10 minutes and then he's gone. I don't know if it is that I was away for so long that he came to say "hi" or what.

That's all I can remember or think of right now... I have one more story that I am going to share shortly about a demon... Well, I think it was a demon.

Sorry for the length of this!

Other hauntings by Shuster84

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shuster84, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shuster84 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-22)
Thank you for the great responses:) I was worried it was a little boring. Haha.:)

I thought of looking into the history but honestly have just been lazy. When he used to scare me I would talk to him and tell him that he was scaring me and whatever was happening would stop right away. I guess hindsight being 20/20 I have just recently realized that he really isn't a bad spirit. Bored? Yes. Evil? Not exactly.

The writing was on the outside of the door. I really cannot understand why the agent didn't remove it before showing the house but who am I to judge.:) I was only 12 when we moved in and I don't think anyone really though anything of it.

My brother in law lived across the back lane and he had a sleepover there when he was younger with a friend of his that lived there. Apparently they had a terrifying experience there that I never even came close to experiencing. If I remember correctly, him and his friend went to sleep in his friend's room. (This was my room when I was older and my sister's room when she lived there) Anyways, they are laying in the bed and the friend has a smurf stuffed animal on his dresser to the right of his bed. The friend gets all scared all of a sudden and my BIL asks what's wrong and the friend says, "watch the smurf" or something like that. And apparently the smurf was moving/sliding along the dresser towards them. Apparently that would happen to my BIL's friend every night and he was terrified.

I never had that but crap that would be scary.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-21)
I agree with zzsgranny, the longer the story, the happier we read. Poor soul, he might be stucked in the house and just making you guys acknowledge him. Have you tried talking to the ghost to move on? Just a question. Did your stepmom experience anything unusual? A research about the house would be helpful as well.
As for the writing? I won't buy the house anymore. LOL. Have you asked the agent about the writing? Did you attempt to remove the writing?

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
That is pretty freaky about what was written on the door I don't know if I would want to live there after seeing that. The way you described seeing something poking it head out from a doorway or a wall is a typical way they like to show themselves. As Granny mentioned it would be great to hear about the history of the home and land. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
Shuster: Don't apologise about the length... We like the longer stories!...

The writing on the door, was it on the inside or outside?...That's sad to think that maybe a child had been kept in a crawlspace, perhaps as punishment, and possibly after his untimely demise 😨...Have you had the chance to do any research on the house or property?

Good story, and thanks for posting... Looking forward to more 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: