You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Graveyard Prank Gone Wrong

Real Ghost Stories

The Graveyard Prank Gone Wrong

 

It happened last year in Uberlingen, a small suburb town in south Germany. It was dusk, almost nightfall, and me and my friends were walking through the graveyard on the way to a party. The graveyard in itself is pretty clean and well kept, but has a older portion as well as a newer portion. Me, my girlfriend, and another friend were almost at the end of the graveyard when he gets a call. Two of our friends were lost and we explained them the way through the grave. They said they would be there in 5 minutes. We were not scared, to tell you the truth, I did not even believe in ghosts (100%) until this night. It was already a black sky and a crescent moon light some of the way. My girlfriend took out a cigarette and began to smoke. Watching her cigarette being the only glimpse of light, hiding her body, gave me a brilliant idea, that I would later regret. Quickly, before the others got here, I came up with a plan to spook them. It was supposed to be nothing more then a prank before a party to ease up the mood but then things went downhill.

We were not sure in which portion of the cemetery we were (new or old) but the plan was that my friend and I hide behind a large gravestone which was facing the path and wait until they pass by. My girlfriend would smoke and pretend to be talking to someone. And so we tried it.

It went great, the others came by the path and fell for the trap, as my girlfriend waved to them we jumped from behind the gravestone and grabbed them on the back. They were scared, but eventually broke out laughing just like we did. Everything fine, just a dumb child prank right, wrong.

We were gathered around in a semicircle laughing how they nearly peed themselves and blahblahblah, when we all began to sweat. It was late summer, early fall, and in Germany those are cool temperatures, at least not to sweat at night. My girlfriend jumped to me all of a sudden and began saying that she heard something. (Imagine the atmosphere in a dark graveyard, when someone says I heard something) I was beginning to sweat hard and just wanted to get out of there and party. We had about 500 meters until we were out, the path was long but paved and like I said, covered in headstones that were facing the path. We slowly made our way when she stopped yet again and said she heard something, except this time I heard something too. I think we all heard something coming from behind us, so we turn around and blast our phones in the direction trying to see who was there. No one.

And then we turned around again and were about to go on our way, when standing in front of us, lit up a little bit by the moonlight, a boy, no older then we were, in rags. I am not sure who ran first, all I know is that we all scattered. It was every man for himself.

My girlfriend and I made it out of the graveyard first and quickly were followed by the others. We did not stop there however. We sprinted the 1 Kilometer we had left, never looking back, just screaming. As we came to the party we stopped and looked at each other. You could see the fear in every ones' eyes.

The whole time at the party however I could not party, I just kept thinking what was that. Maybe the caretaker trying to kick us out, maybe a poor old lady who was visiting after hours... Maybe a ghost.

The next morning me and my girlfriend went to the grave again (the sun was already up) and examined the gravestones. The gravestone where I was hiding to scare my friends was a 15 year old boy, the one next to him was his older brother (17). Although that was spooky enough, nothing made sense anymore. In that moment the caretaker came and we asked him whether it was him last night.

His denial of being anywhere near the graveyard last night was spooky enough, but then he explained to us the two brothers. They were (sadly) WWII victims. A grenade had been thrown in their room, falling closer to the younger brother, ripping him to shreds. His older brother took a heavy shrapnel hit and died as well. They say that the body of the younger one could not be found anymore (under the rubble) and he was buried only with his skull and left leg, while his brother whole. After the war a monument was erected in their names, a kind of "look what war does" thing. So the legend says.

Their headstones were what remained of the monument, the rest was destroyed after a lightning bolt struck a nearby tree and caused it to fall on the monument.

Once the caretaker left I fell on my knees and gave for forgiveness. I don't know why, I am not spiritual (at least not strongly) nor was I even sure if I believed it all, but I just felt the need to apologize for running around their graves at night, very disrespectful of me I know.

And the worse part came now, weeds had grown over the older brothers headstone and I just felt the need to cut them. My girlfriend held back the weeds while I chopped them off. What was revealed under the jungle was a picture, of the exact same boy we saw the night before, standing in front of us. Or at least that was him from what we could tell.

Startled we jumped back yet again, but then smiled. My girlfriend said "big brother wanted to protect little brother, just like you always protect me"

To be honest, I could not believe any of this, its almost like a nightmare, but I smiled looking at the picture. All of a sudden a strong wind blew, as trying to signal us something. We sat there for another 5 minutes before we got up and went home.

Pranks in a graveyard, day or night, NEVER AGAIN! That was one freaking scary night for us. And the fact that it happened to me was even more scary, back then I was the last person who believed in something like that.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Emo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moo (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
If you guys are wondering about the weeds aspect and where he got clippers from; perhaps he used a pocketknife, I used to carry one round for safety aspects only (lived in a dodgy neighbourhood, lol) but that's just a thought:)
stephyw2001 (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
Why am I not surprised that the OP never returned? This is what I get for reading a story by anyone who claims to be "emo"...
destineelynne (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
This is such a awesome story! I loved it. And your right. Playing in a graveyard is wrong, and very disrespectful. But, you and your girlfriend done the right thing by apologizing. That was the best thing you could have done. Alot of teenagers destroy graves and even STEAL from them! So, it was very respectful for you guys to realize you disturbed someone and to go make peace for that! You should be proud of yoursleves!
ada (4 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Grave yards bring many strange things in fact everytime I go my grandfather visits me. Its been 6 years and he... Read my story (the grave of pawpaw)... By the way that is a sweet story!
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Thats an amazing experience I must say plus you got a response also in the form of wind... I feel doing pranks like ' that is ghost! It is coming! It is hiding there' are acts of some kind of disrespect to the spirits, cause you see, they are ghosts in reality and they might feel that there is nothing to make fun of them or to laugh at them! Well, just think how would we feel if animals laugh at us for being humans...? Wont we have a weird feeling?...
May those departed souls rest in peace...
Carolann1015 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Im not sure if the story is completely true... Like said there are a few holes and missing pieces to it. How did you have clippers? Ect. But good story, anyways. 😊
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I have to admit I myself was thinking the photo on the grave was a little too convenient, especially given you apparently saw him poorly enough to think he might be a boy your age, an old woman or the caretaker. And did you go back the next day with the intention of attending to the grave? If not, how did you happen to have a pair of weed clippers on you? There's no need to make up or embellish stories to sound more dramatic. We are interested in your actual experiences, even if they are dull. It's enough that you pulled a prank and then, due to strange and difficult to explain circumstances, you realized what you did was wrong and took steps to rectify the situation. That being said, if you say this is what actually happened, then I am prepared to accept your account. Please provide additional details.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
"Discount Blankie Mart- We've Got You Covered!" lol
50 characters is what you need. To this rule, I must heed.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
MizMiMi: S'all good! 😊...Discount Blankie Mart! LOL The place for all your Blankie needs 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
stephyw: Sorry, I just saw your comment! 😆...Is there an echo in here? 😆
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
zzsgranny- Somehow I missed the year calculation, and get what you're all saying now. The whole story left me looking for a discount blankie outlet, that's why I said I was only commenting on the picture aspect. 😉
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
MizMiMi: Well, something like that or etched into the stone...Although, I don't think they could do etchings very well 65 years ago, given that laser technology was relatively new and all applications certainly hadn't been explored... And your grandfather passed away nearly 30 years after these boys, so I don't know if that particular method of preservation was available either...

I'm with-holding the temptation to throw the Blankie until we hear from the O/P 😊
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I am commenting strictly on the picture aspect. My grandfather passed in 1971, and he has a photo along with his name bd and dd on his headstone. It was behind an oval piece of glass, and attached to the stone in some way. Its still in releatively good shape to this day. Maybe that's what the o/p is talking about?
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I'm looking forward to hearing the O/P answers, because the story got a little foggy when you showed up at the party. It was good story though (humor,horror, and even a heart warming ending).
stephyw2001 (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
I'm a little confused, maybe its a language error, but you first said "it was a boy about our age in rags" then you were wondering what it was, "the care taker", or an "old lady". Why an old lady, if you saw it was a boy? That confused me.

The next part that confused me, was the picture. There is no way a picture would remain on a gravestone since world war 2. Was the picture carved into the grave? Like those gravestones that are carved to look like the person? Even that would confuse me because tombstones like that are very expensive, and laser etching, and CNC mill carving wasn't around then.
BunnyPanda (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Interesting story you got there that made you learn a lesson. Felt bad for the two brothers and I feel touched of what your girlfriend said at the end:)
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Emo: I'd like to know more about the picture...I'm sure it wasn't in very good condition after having been exposed to German climatic elements for 65 some odd years?
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Hi emo,
Nice story, as he regularly seen in that graveyard, he is not harmful.
I think he just warned you not to play around graves at that late hours.

Our indian graveyards are most dangerous in the world. Spirits are are not good as him.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Emo - I would say a lot of young (er) people would think a cemetery would be the perfect place to pull a prank on your friends. Whether or not you believe in ghosts, the atmosphere is already in place because of all the Hollywood stories, so it could be easy enough to do.

Unfortunately, until something like this happens, you don't realize what you've done. In the case of you and your friends, what you did wasn't malicious and you didn't set out to destroy anything in the cemetery, yet you still disturbed someone.

I'm glad you made peace, with them and yourself.
spectae (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Hi,

What is the name of the street (s) adjacent to the cemetery?

PeAcE

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: