You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Lady At The Window

Real Ghost Stories

Lady At The Window

 

My health had not been the best for the past few years. I had made several trips to doctors and specialists, trying to find out what was wrong. At the end of September 2022, I was sent for a whole barrage of tests, including an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) to measure my heart's electrical activity and a full blood count. That very night, we received an urgent call from the doctor about the worrying test results.

Rex rushed me to the emergency department at the hospital. The nurse on duty took one look at me and said that my pallor was dangerously grey. Over the next fourteen hours, I would be given two blood transfusions, along with a bag of plasma.

While I was waiting for a room to be prepared in the ward upstairs, the woman in the next bed became angry at the nurses. The doctors had requested more tests and scans for her, and she was not pleased that they could not diagnose her recurring ailments. Her scolding voice soon rose in volume, getting the attention of everyone on the floor.

By that time, it was close to midnight. The agitation level was almost a palpable presence in the place. I felt chilled and did not feel it was due to my low blood count.

'I want to see the doctor NOW!' screeched the irate woman.

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP. The monitoring devices went haywire all at once, emitting alarms and sounds of mechanical distress. At every single bed.

It was absolute chaos. Nurses were hurrying from bed to bed, frantically pressing buttons to stop the ear-splitting blaring, and trying to reset each monitor. All the while, the woman carried on a relentless tirade, steamrolling over the nurses' attempts to calm her down.

Rex and I looked at each other in bewilderment. What was going on?

Eventually, the Head Nurse managed to placate her. She arranged for the woman's discharge and assured her that any further tests could be done as an outpatient. It was rather odd how all the machines on the floor subsided to quieter beeps, once she left the emergency department.

Hospitals are never the most comfortable place to be. It was early morning and Rex had gone home by the time they got me into a room on the fourth floor. I was attached to uncomfortable tubes and a heart monitor, my arm was aching from the canula, and my limbs felt weak and rubbery.

But I was still in a much better state than the elderly woman in the next room. During the nurses' handover at the change of shift, I overheard one say to the other that the patient had been refusing her food. They were currently trying to get her into palliative care, but it was probable that she might not last long enough by the time there was an available bed. Sadly, beyond making her as comfortable as possible, they could do nothing more.

Sleep was impossible that night. My lower back hurt, and I could not figure out how to adjust the bed. The temperature in the room had gone quite cold. It was unusual for me to be bothered by the air-conditioning. I normally liked the cold, and the nurse had made me comfortable for the night, wrapping me up like a cosy burrito in cotton blankets.

The lights at my bed were turned off, with the door was left ajar for the duty nurse to be able to check on me at a glance from the bright hallway. I could hear the constant rasping and wheezing noises from next door. That poor woman's laboured breathing sounded especially loud in the stillness of the night. It reminded me horribly of a death rattle, like during the time I had sat vigil years ago for my father and Rex's mother.

My vision had gotten accustomed to the dim lighting. A movement to my left caught my eye. I blinked once, twice, but the image was still there at the window.

It was a slight-built woman or a young girl, dressed in a black gown and a wide-brimmed black hat. Her face was pale, the features hidden in shadow by a gauzy veil from the hat. A coat was draped over her shoulders like a cloak. From the angle of her head, she was peering in at me.

For a moment, I thought it was a visitor who had gone for a walk outside, taken a wrong turn in the dark and was trying to find the entrance back to the ward. Then, I remembered that the room was four stories above the ground.

Was she an Otherwordly visitor? But I did not feel any malice from her, only a vague sense of curiosity.

On a whimsical impulse, I waved to the lady in black, acknowledging that I knew she was there. Then I quickly turned on the bedside light. The figure was gone.

Getting out of bed, I scanned the room for any object that could be reflected in the glass. There was nothing that matched the figure. The closest thing in height was the IV stand, but it was too thin. It was also near the door, which meant that its reflection was in the wrong position.

When I mentioned this to the night nurse in passing, she vehemently declared that such things never happened there. She looked so thoroughly spooked that I decided not to say anything further on the incident. The hospital was a fairly new one, but there had already been a number of reported mortalities there.

In the morning, I checked the scenery outside the window. It overlooked the rooftop of the nearby building, a carpark, and the main road in the distance. There was nothing that could have formed a dark shape the night before. The ledge running along the side was too narrow for even Spiderman to stand on tippy toes there.

The patient was still there in the next room, her condition unchanged. But I did not get another chance to see if the lady in black would reappear in the night.

My daily blood tests were showing that my blood count was much improved, oxygen saturation and erratic heart rate had stabilised. By late afternoon, the doctors decided to send me home for recovery, and to be scheduled for surgery at a later date.

That night, as part of my bedtime routine, I did my online crossword. One of the crossword clues read: "You look like you've just (seen a) ghost!"

Other hauntings by Jubeele

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jubeele, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
 
4 days ago (2024-04-29)
Hi Lost Voyage

Oh yes, SLIders. Street Light Interference phenomenon. There have been members on YGS who described the ability. They said they also had problems with batteries draining and disrupting electrical equipment, like a computer mouse and TV going flat, and the self-checkout at the supermarket malfunctioning.
Https://www.liveabout.com/sliders-and-streetlight-phenomenon-2596547

Interesting point about portals drawing energy. I wonder if that could apply to the cold spots I had felt about the hospital. Especially when the place was kept at a constant temperature, with no drafts from vents or open windows.

There have been a number of thought-provoking ideas about the lady in black. It's likely that I saw her in passing, and she wasn't someone who meant any harm. Hope I didn't put that nurse off too much from the night shift.

Thanks for coming by to read my account.
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
+1
6 days ago (2024-04-27)
Oh wow, Tweed. You've knocked me for six. Those are eerie similarities. The date's close enough to be really significant. It's good that you've reminded us all the importance of keeping a journal.

So that's called a Victorian mourning gown? Cool. I don't know why I had the impulse to wave. But at some level, I had felt it was polite to show acknowledgement. I like the idea that we could have 'seen' each other during your astral travels.

Thanks very muchly for your positive vibes! ๐Ÿ˜Š
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (245 posts)
+1
6 days ago (2024-04-27)
Hello Jubeele, good to see you around, what a night you shared!

I'm sure the events of that night coupled with the concerns about your own health had to be really trying for you, but you're a trooper!

The woman you mentioned causing the electronics to trip may have had some ability of her own, and then again her own emotional outpouring may have merely interacted with something already there. There are people who can make lights blow out, etc, I believe they are referred to as 'sliders' Usually though they merely walk near or under a street light for example for this to occur, it's not usually directly related to a conscious or emotional state (other than the fact it startles them). The electronics in this encounter didn't react until she became emotionally unstable. Since entity's draw from electricity as well as emotions, especially negative ones, her state coupled with all that electrical equipment may have provided the 'perfect storm' (no pun intended) for any entities present. The place could also be a portal, since so much death has happened there. Portals can also effect electrical/water and other energy sources as well.

The other side of it is all of the solar flares/geomagnetic storms, etc that have been known to cause electronic and electrical grid interference, and there's been a lot of that lately. I doubt that was the case here, I think the 'perfect storm' scenario was the most likely, but I like to present other options for consideration ๐Ÿ˜

The spirit of the woman was interesting, I feel you're correct, that she was there for someone else and merely observing you. There may have been a little more to it I feel, but it's of no concern to you now.

The nurse being so short, I don't think it's because you spooked her, I think she knows full well what's been going on and there have been other sightings, maybe some she's witnessed herself. Her reaction seemed to reflect the old "if I don't acknowledge it, then it's not real" line of thought!

Either way, it sounded like an interesting visit, I'm just sorry you had to witness it all while you weren't feeling so well. I am glad to hear you're doing better!
Tweed (35 stories) (2500 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-26)
Hi Jubeele,

Don't know how to put this but what you describe sounded eerily like a 'dream' I journaled about. Right down to the woman waving. Then you described the woman at the window and I had to dig out my book of shadows because the attire you describe worn by the figure is my go to astral 'uniform', for lack of a better term. A Victorian mourning dress, wide brimmed hat with veil draped over. Sometimes I get 'astrally' drawn to people, without meaning to, it happens as I'm 'technically' sleeping. It almost always happens when the person I'm 'drawn' to is in need of some form of help. This is from that entry:

"28th September 2022
Hospital Dream.
Woman in hospital bed hard focus, it's dark, there's a breeze can hear traffic the air smells of fried food, take out. Old blue lives inside. Focus still woman in window. She is not alone in this world. Despair, fear, frail yet strong. She knows I'm here, we watch each other I think she waves. Her strength will prevail. Lemon. James doesn't know her."

James is a friend who I thought the woman might be connected to, but that turned out not to be the case. Lemon is symbolic to me it means 'unexpected light' which usually ends the connection. Old blue is also a personal symbolic thing which represents that which most recoil from, but to which I'm drawn ie energy at a hospital. 'Hard focus' means the main subject of dream/vision/whatever. 'She's not alone...' meaning I thought the woman had strong connections/awareness to loved ones on the other side.

And I know a lot reading will think I'm batcrap crazy, which is also true but for far more mundane reasons.

I had the same thoughts as RC about the monitors going off at once. What a night!

I realise this was posted a few days ago but I've just read it. Also if this was by some fluke me the attire is symbolic of a whole host of stuff but is mostly me being a massive goth. Feel I should say sorry ๐Ÿ˜จ!

Really glad you're doing better now!
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-26)
Hi Linjahaha

That woman in the emergency room was like a force of nature. I know I wouldn't want to get on her wrong side!

I do believe that ghosts retain some characteristics from when they were living. A kind person would have a benign presence, and someone who was mean-spirited in life would go on to cause harm and fear. But I like the idea that the Lady in Black could have sent me healing energy of some sort. That's really comforting. I'm glad you enjoyed my account. Thanks for your kind words.
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-26)
Twilight - Grandma told my father to watch out for me when I was a child because the gift can be a mixed blessing, like a double-edged sword. I think it makes our aura shine like a beacon in the spirit world and can attract the wrong attention if we're not regularly cleansed and shielded. As children, we were taught not to 'look for trouble', like venture out to 'unclean' places. She also stopped us from playing in the front part of her garden. I only learned years later that people had been buried there during WWII!

Take care and blessings back to you. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Rajine - Far too often, we can't do much about the evil done by others. But I believe we can still let our light shine and brighten our corner of the world. May your light continue to shine. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Linjahaha (24 stories) (131 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-25)
Hi, Jubeelee: I hope I didn't mis-spell it! I've read all the comments about your account, & find them all quite interesting.
As for my opinion. Here it comes. Quite possibly, the elderly lady was putting out Kinetic energy due to her being so aggravated, highly upset, & excited about everything that was happening to her. That energy can effect electronics. Like I said. Just my offering here to you.
As for the lady [at] the window. Possibly a passing spirit. Maybe when you acknowledged her she paid you back for that kind recognition by helping you to feel good enough to be sent home for the rest of your recovery. I think they can do things to help the living now, & then. From your description, it sounds like she was from another Century. Maybe she actually passed-on in the condition YOU were in at the specific time. Only in her case, she wasn't so lucky. Possibly, she wanted to spare you from something that happened to her. Ghost/Spirits do not lose their individual personalities, or characteristics when they leave this earthly plane. I believe that they retain all those traits in the afterlife. If she was a kind, & helpful person when living, she is a kind, & helpful spirit now.
I think this was a super fascinating account, & thank you for relating it. Hoping that your health is very much improved. Once again, a terrific read!

The Very Best
To You! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
Rajine (14 stories) (781 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Hi again Jubeele

Yeah that's usually how it is nowdays, people can be much more scarier than everything else ๐Ÿ˜…
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Jubeele, thank you for letting me know about your username ๐Ÿ˜… Like I said, I've been very curious about it, for a few years now lol, so glad to finally know the answer โ˜บ I must have missed, wherever Melda had previously asked you about it. That's interesting to know a lot of your family has the gift of seeing, what most others can not. Granted I understand at times, it may not always feel like a gift, but I've come to realize, that most (if not all) special abilities like that, have the tendency to have it's downfalls at times, but despite this, it's still a gift, nonetheless. I think it's meant to have it's struggles, when having certain special gifts, to keep the balance, and to help us figure out how to harness our gift, in the way we were meant to use it. That's just my opinion so far on it. I think you were very lucky, to have a lot of your family share this gift with you though. I'd imagine your family was able to give you support and advice on it, whenever needed, verses other's, who don't really have anyone to help them understand their's. As for me, I'm not sure if I have the gift of seeing spirit's, as I made sure as a child, to not stare into the darkness of my room (at one point, I wouldn't use a night light, so if there was something there, I didn't want to be able to see it, was my theory at the time). I didn't want to take the chance of seeing something I can't unsee. I am however, a clairsentient/empath, so I can feel spirit's, and where they are etc, but I didn't want to look around and find them, when I felt them. So I'm not sure if I could of had the sight, and maybe suppressed it, but I don't plan on finding that out anytime soon lol. I don't think I can handle having to see them, especially if I'm alone... In the dark. For now, I'm good with being able to know when one is around me, and if it's trying to get close to me etc. ๐Ÿ˜…- Sending you positive energy
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Hi Rajine

Thanks for your kind wishes. It was a most eventful hospital stay. I was actually more unnerved by the angry woman from emergency setting off all the machines, than the Lady in Black at the window. I think we've got more to fear from the living!
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Hi lwgrn

There could be one of 2 things: either the woman at the emergency room caused some freaky poltergeist episode, or some grelim-type entity made use of all that emotional energy to make a scene. The way those machines went berserk - it was an "I-see-it-but-I-don't-believe" moment.

I think the Lady in Black came to check on someone else at the hospital and I just happened to see her. Maybe I surprised her too.

Thanks for coming by and your kind comments.
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Hi Twilight,

I'm much better these days, thanks for your well-wishes. I've wondered if the woman had some ability, triggered by the outpouring of emotional stress. Good thing the Head Nurse managed to soothe her before the ceiling came down on us!

When I was a little girl, I prayed very hard not to see ghosts and spirits like my cousins, and other relatives. The shadows at my childhood home frightened me and I was often afraid to go to sleep. But the Lady in Black did not mean me any harm and I think most wandering spirits are like that. They're just passing through.

Don't worry about the misspelling - I didn't even notice it! You're the 2nd person to ask me about my username. Melda once asked me that as well. Jubeele is a combination of my actual Western and Chinese names. I'm a fan of X-Men (and X-Women), and Jubilee's one of my favourite characters too. These days, my hair looks more like Rogue, with the streak of white at the front.
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Hi Val

Now you've got me wondering if Ms. Ghost could have been a relative of the elderly woman in the next room. Rex has a theory that the Lady in Black was actually waiting for her. She was curious about me because I wasn't supposed to see her.

But I'm sorry if I scared the nurse. I didn't mean to spook her, especially when she has to work the night shift.

I often get odd correlations with the online crossword and word games. Remember the riddle about the 3-letter word that runs on gas? Afterwards, as I was playing the word game, I got the word: GAS. I think someone was listening and wanted me to know it.
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Hi CantunSEEit74

I don't think any attachments followed me from Singapore (I hope). Our apartment building was one of many built over the cemetery, which could explain the night terrors I had as a child. My father used to burn frankincense to cleanse me, until I grew out of them. I suspect I still get visitors now and then.

Interesting point about the shape of the hat. That would be a good clue. But I couldn't make out any further details about it, since the Lady in Black stood mostly in shadow.

Wow, your dog must have a close relationship with you, to sense your vibes. I wonder if the person on Fox News got a spate of bad luck, or a sore throat to stop the trash talk after your lightning bolts. There's too much hateful narrative out there.

The machines acted like they were being super-charged by all the emotion flying around. I've read accounts that adults, like teenagers, could generate poltergeist activity as a result of great stress and emotion. It was such a freaky phenomenon.

My health's much better these days. Thanks for your kind wishes.
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
+2
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
RCRuskin - hey, Brother Brat! That was such a weird thing with those beeping machines. Maybe gremlins were playing havoc with them, thriving on the chaos.

I don't think the Lady in Black was from my family. I usually have dream messages about them. A medium friend told me that Rex's grandmother visits us occasionally; Nana makes her presence known by the scent of vanilla. I've only sensed her at home though, in the kitchen or dining room. Nana had liked to bake.

But I've wondered if the Lady in Black was an Angel of Death, doing her rounds. She just happened to look in the window at me but decided (thankfully) it wasn't yet my time. It was unsettling, but I didn't feel in any danger.

Hospitals would get a heap of emotional energy, overflowing with pain, fear, hope, sadness etc. There was so much happening during the pandemic too. I think that after a while, they become portals or thresholds for entities from Otherworldly realms.
Rajine (14 stories) (781 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
Hi Jubeele

I'm glad you are doing much better now, hospitals can be daunting places to be for everyone, I suppose that you had a chance encounter with a random spirit, but as for the machines getting quieter after that other patient left is indeed mind baffling.
lwgrn4real66 (5 stories) (35 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
From just watching ghost hunter shows (lol! Who really knows what'sreal or not on those!),but,seems to maybe be a poltergeist occurance. The irate woman may gave poltergeist energy she admits off when upset.? I've had many experiences but I'm not "real experienced" in this type stuff,lol.

And the lady at the window, a gentle spirit from beyond possibly looking for a loved one. Just a little lost. The hat... Probably the time era the lady passed away. Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Glad you're doing better! God bless!๐Ÿ˜
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
I apologize for miss-spelling your name. I meant to recheck over that, before I submitted my original post.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+2
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
I'm sorry to hear about your health lately, and hope that you're feeling better (and doing better)? That's very interesting to hear about the monitors all going off like that, after that woman reacted the way she did. I believe it could have been caused by some type of special ability, she could possibly have. It does make you wonder ๐Ÿค” As for what you saw, perhaps a wondering spirit, that was just passing through. I was wanting to ask you a random question though, out of curiosity ๐Ÿ˜… Your username, is this your actual name, or did you happen to be a fan of the X-men, and liked the Jubelee character on it? I've been curious, and wanted to finally ask you about it. As for me, I loved that character โ˜บ
valkricry (49 stories) (3271 posts) mod
+3
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
Wide brimmed hats with veils were very popular in 1910, then reemerged 50s-60s, and I hear they're making a comeback. So dating Ms. Ghost by that would prove tricky. It's possible the night nurse reacted poorly because such things frighten her.
Your online crossword - I swear! This isn't the first time 'clues' came up directly related to things you're experiencing. THAT makes me wonder.
CantunSEEit74 (4 stories) (60 posts)
+2
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
Very interesting hospital encounters. Slight built woman or young girl, from your profile could it be an attachment from when you lived next to large cemetery. The shape of the hat seems to hold a clue as they have changed over the hundreds of years they have covered our noggins, Chinese hat, Australian hat. I believe when agitated we humans can emit energy pulses that can interfere with electronics of all kinds. It is fact and all I have to do is scroll my tv to Fox news for 40 second and I can literally wake my dog from a dead sleep as I am mentally sending lightning bolts to this lying hate spewing loser on the screen. Yes, I believe her stress could have made the bed alarms go crazy. So many what ifs on this one. I hope your health is good now and thanks for sharing.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (818 posts)
+3
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
EEP!

Well, good you're better, Sis!:)

All the monitors on all the patients going off at once when that young-at-heart lady became irate. Hm. I don't think that was ghostly by itself, but certainly unsettling. Probably some kind of psychic version of an electromagnetic pulse.

The lady by your bedside? That is intriguing. And you say that nothing could be found to produce a shadow or silhouette of a person. The wide brimmed hat was probably the hardest element to create. It might be a monitor on the wall over your bed. But in your family's history, are there any people who might be her?

As for hospitals not being haunted, well, I suppose on the first day of business, and up until the first death which probably won't take long...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: