You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Hypnagogic Hallucinations?

Real Ghost Stories

Hypnagogic Hallucinations?

 

I have had many different types of "visitations" from my point of view. From dark figures in my bedroom doorway that I couldn't really see no matter how hard I tried, to being picked up off my bed by an unseen person/entity, having someone or something grab my ankles while in bed and try to pull me off, to something sitting on my chest while I could not move or open my eyes and growl and snarl right into my face. Being able to feel the heat of its breath on my face.

The worst time was when I believe myself to be awake. I was in bed, it was dark, no lights on. My bedroom door opened and I could see a dark shadow. Darker than the area around it, crawling around on the floor. I heard it coming around the bottom of the bed. I could hear it breathing, growling. I was laying on my side at the time facing the door. I felt the bed depress as it climbed up on the bed. I could not move. At this point I was on my side, unable to move and I could feel it on the bed where my back was. I felt it start to press against my back like to was trying to enter me. I was so terrified at that point I passed out from fear. I thought for sure I was going to die.

A lot of this happened in my mid to late twenties to early thirties. It got so bad I refused to sleep in my room or go in there at all. This mostly happened after my parents purchased the empty lot next to us and were doing construction for a garage. But after I moved, it continued to happen at the new place. I was desperate for answers and reached out to a local paranormal group and informed them of my experiences. They told me that it sounded like Hypnagogic Hallucinations. Rather than continue to be terrified in my own home, I chose to see this as the answer. However, the terror of that night has never left me. I am now 49 years old.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Self, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (245 posts)
 
6 days ago (2024-04-27)
Hello Self. I am sorry you've had to endure these types of experiences. Sleep can be a big respite for most of us, so when it's disturbed, it can be quite ungrounding.

I'm curious, have you ever had any kind of out of body experiences, or vivid dreams about visiting places you've either never been to or seem vaguely familiar?

I ask these questions because I believe it's key to the experiences you've shared, but before I speak more about it, I will wait for your answers!
lwgrn4real66 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
6 days ago (2024-04-27)
Self,

I believe Linjahaha to be right. And thank you Linjahaha for the information on the Aurhor. I need to start trying to figure out a lot of what I've experienced. Or at least SOME of it! Lol...
All of y'all have a great day!
😁
Tweed (35 stories) (2500 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-26)
Hi Self,

Sorry this has happened, it sounds truly debilitating, not feeling safe to go to sleep. Might I suggest a very strict sleeping routine? I know, boring advice, and not practical if you work in shifts which don't allow a routine. Well, thought I'd suggest it anyway because I figure if healthy sleeping patterns help physical problems, why not paranormal ones too?

Thanks for sharing and I hope this gets better for you. Feel free to keep us posted or ask questions we're a friendly bunch from all over the world, so you're bound to find someone else who can relate to what you're going through. There's a pretty infamous account on here where two members, in the comments, reported their experience of a ghost sleeping inside them. Their experiences were positive, they seemed to gain energy from the encounters. Not suggesting you do the same if you feel scared by this, trust that gut instinct. But that's at least two people I can think of who have encountered something like what have.
Linjahaha (24 stories) (131 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-25)
Self: Welcome, & please allow me to add my 2 cents to this encounter you wrote about.
I agree with lwgrn4 that 'science' does not always have the answers.
I have submitted quite a few of MY experiences on here. I mentioned in one of my accounts that I think science tries to find a rational explanation for paranormal events simply because they, personally, cannot accept the paranormal at face value.
Such as 'mass hallucination' when several, or, a large group of people see the same thing. They came up with the term 'mass' hallucination as a way to explain something that THEY have no explanation for because THEY cannot explain it in rational terms.
The general gist of what I'm trying to say is just because they are scientists does not qualify them as experts on the paranormal.
They expect everything to be in black, & white. In the world of the paranormal they are times when you have to accept those grey areas, & realize that you cannot give a pat answer to it because it's not an absolute science. There ARE things going on around us that we cannot see, but they are there nonetheless. Just like the oxygen we breathe. You cannot see it, but it's there.
I hope I'm not confounding you, but I'm hoping to provide some input to help YOU come to terms with what you experienced.
I'm, also, hoping that this has not occurred again to you, & that you are moving on with your life. However, do read some books on the subject of the paranormal/ghosts/out-of-bodies/UFO's, & what have you to better understand these incidents. I can, personally, suggest an author that helped me understand a lot about it. His name was Hans Holzer, & he studied psychology, anthropology, & parapsychology. However, he maintained a reasonable approach to the subject. Often he found a rational explanation. Then, there were those times when he understood that something was truly paranormal. He was scientific, but he did work with several mediums that he tested under his strict scrutiny. He wrote several books on various paranormal subjects. I hope some of my input helps you!

All the Best! 😊 😊
lwgrn4real66 (5 stories) (35 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
I also believe science, as you know, always expects there to be an answer for everything when they're looking to prove something.

They don't believe anything paranormal because, I think it's so broad of a subject and no true direct answers for much if it, if any.

People relate paranormal things and current physical or past physical things, people, or occasions, to each other. And some may be that, but most experiences, who really knows what, who, or why.

Most doesn't make sense, some does. Thank you for sharing and God Bless! 😁
lwgrn4real66 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Self,

I don't believe you are having hallucinations. First, as for your hand getting pulled after it fell between the bed and wall, most likely was a true unexplained experience for you.

My sister's and I shared a bed (I was around 5 years old). We all saw a shadow move aross the wall. We never forgot it.

And, if people just think your crazy, just tell them once and let it go. (With them). They're only saying or thinking you're crazy due to never having a paranormal experience of their own. (So called "skeptics").

That's why we're here. To share our experiences and to share our thoughts and to relate and/or try to help those in need to try to help them understand some of their experiences. 😁

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! Take care and please, if you need to talk or get opinions or help, someone or several here will always be here for you.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Self, I see you've most likely accepted the answer to your question, being a form of hallucination (aka sleep paralysis). I'm not trying to say this is not correct, but I would like to share my opinion on it, as my husband has also suffered sleep paralysis as well, and I've heard him tell me about many, of his terrifying encounters he's experienced with this. I've even gotten very good at being able to break him out of it, as I know the sounds he normally makes, when experiencing it. I will either give him a nudge, to break out of it, or other times when that's not enough to work, I'll have to really push on him, to finally be able to wake up. Also, apparently I have even started being unconsciously aware, of him being in this state, even while I'm asleep (and I'm a heavy sleeper 😅), as my husband has told me I've woken him out of it, while I'm still asleep lol. Anyways, sorry to ramble on, I just wanted to let it be known, this is something I've been around. With that said, I'm aware of the scientific reason for having sleep paralysis, but I don't always believe that thing's like this, can be so easily figured out. With so many people experiencing this problem, to where many cases have even reported, about seeing a certain figure while in this state, describing the same figure, yet these people are spread throughout the world, making it harder to believe it's just a hallucination. I believe that there are case's where it is just a form of sleep paralysis, but I also believe that there's time's, especially when one is seeing something from a nightmare, on top of them, or coming towards them etc, to where like you had even said, could feel it's hot breath on you, and feel it's weight, that it's more than just a form of sleep paralysis. I feel the world of science, wants to be able to have a logical explanation for everything, as believing in the paranormal world, is too terrifying, or too far to believe for them. But the reality is, we don't have a logical answer for everything! The paranormal world doesn't have to be feared, just because we don't fully understand it. Of course be cautious of it though, but we're the one's with the power, that can be what light's up even the darkest of places. I am curious, after you had reached out to this paranormal team, and they told you it was hallucinations, did you stop experiencing what was previously happening to you, after you were told this? It seemed like that was the case, as you didn't seem to have anymore problems afterwards, aside the trauma of what you had saw. I hope what I've said about my opinion on this, can help in some way. I know talking about this type of stuff happening, can sound crazy, but it doesn't make it not true. I believe you most likely was experiencing more than just a hallucination, if that counts for anything ☺
Self (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
Ghostsarecool, you have no idea. I still am unable to allow any parts of my body to hang over the bed at night. Thinking back to my childhood. I had an experience where my hand slipped between the bed and the wall. I felt something grab my hand and try to pull me down there. It traumatized me so bad, that I have never been able to allow any part of my body to hang off of the bed. This must have been my first time with hallucinations. But I do not remember anything else happening until I was in my 20's. I am grateful for this site and that I can freely talk about what has happened to me. Whether it is "real" or not it is still traumatizing. You do learn not to talk about it though as people think you are nuts.
ghostsarecool (2 stories) (9 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
I get sleep paralysis vibes from this. So yes, your mind was awake, but your body wasn't. Your brain also paralyzes your body when you sleep so you don't act out your dreams. However, as you have discovered, sometimes that goes wrong, and it's horrifying. It's like dreaming while you're awake. I've never personally experienced it, but it just sounds horrifying.
Rajine (14 stories) (781 posts)
+1
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
Hi and welcome Self

Perhaps there's an underlying issue that caused you to experience what you've experienced, the answer could be hidden back in time to when this first started happening to you, I don't think it just happened all of a sudden and out of nowhere, only you know yourself what you've experienced and everyone else's thoughts on it is speculation and theory.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: