You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Followed To My Room

Real Ghost Stories

Followed To My Room

 

I have so many stories and experiences to publish here that it almost becomes overwhelming when I think about it and mostly I just give up the thought of publishing more but this happened just this morning at 5am.

My partner and I moved to Ashfield in Sydney's inner west NSW about 3 months ago. We have been together for about 7 months now, have had our ups and downs but on the whole we are happy.

We had a bit of trouble finding a place to live because financially things were not very good but one day after weeks of searching we found a place that was in the city and along the train lines as we both don't drive and don't have any desire to. Anyway the place is a boarding house and we have a room, shared bathroom and kitchen. We are on the first floor but I usually say second because I count ground floor as a level. It's situated above Chinese restaurants and the building looks to be built around the 1900's but it's never been confirmed. Most of the buildings along our street are very old and have visible weathering and damage. I love the high ceilings and the wooden floor but being in the city and above restaurants we get an influx of unwanted roaches which we are dealing with but I digress.

Ever since we have lived here I get a spooky feeling when I am walking to my room up the narrow hallway. It's very dark but I had put the feeling down to paranoia and at the time I hadn't said anything to my partner as I did not want to scare him and thought it was all in my head. These feelings only happen after about 8pm.

Followed To My Room

One evening I was preparing some vegetables at our table which is in the middle of the far wall and is next to our bedroom door. I had my music going and I was softly singing and humming as I was chopping up the vegetables for dinner that night and out the corner of my eye it looked like a shadow glided past the door real fast and it shocked me a bit at the time but didn't bother me much and I still didn't say anything to my partner. That would have been about two months ago I think?

One day my partner and I were sitting at the table drinking and smoking together and he told me that he feels anxious when he walks to our room or is at the door unlocking it and I said I get the same feelings but I didn't tell him about the shadow I saw.

About two weeks ago I was walking to the bedroom from the bathroom, the bathroom is next to our bedroom. Anyway as I was walking I got that dread feeling again and looked back as I was walking and I saw a translucent shadow glide to me then disappear. It would have been the size of a big dog but I dismissed it as my eyes playing tricks on me as it was late at night, around 3am I think? So I would have been drowsy coming back from the bathroom after relieving myself. I usually get a feeling of something standing at the opposite end of the hallway or it's coming towards me but until then have not seen anything. Also I think I should note I never get the dread feeling when I am walking away from my bedroom, only walking to it when my back is turned the opposite direction from the feeling of dread.

Well, this morning at 5am I awoke because my partner was thrashing about in the bed trying to get comfortable. I rolled over and cuddled him for awhile then had the nagging urge to use the toilet. I drowsily got up and somewhat hobbled to the bathroom. The bathroom light was off which I thought was odd because the guy who lives in the room next to us is scared of the dark I think because he turns the light on in the hallway even in the day. Our bedroom and his has 3 step to get to them so I leave the light on so no one trips down the stairs because at night the hallway is very dark. I was walking back from the bathroom and I got that dread feeling again and I looked back and saw nothing. I walked up the steps and they creaked under my feet. I got to the top and I heard claws hit the floorboards! I heard two distinct sounds of that right behind me! It sounded like a dog walking then suddenly stopping. As dogs walk upon wooden floorboards it makes a noise which is unmistakable. That's the sound I heard. It also sounded like a big dog with big claws, but that is only speculation as I never saw it.

That happened at 5am and it's now 6:00am and I am writing this story. I am racking my brain trying to think what it was and the only conclusion I can come to is it's a spirit of a canine or a spirit pretending to be a canine. I've witnessed spirits of all shapes and sizes from as tall as a man to as small as a mouse.

Anyway just thought I'd share and hope you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading and comments are welcome and I apologise as it may take me time to reply but I always try to.

Other hauntings by terranigma

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, terranigma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-25)
Jwarren sorry for the latest of replies I was not aware of this comment until I posted a new story and checked my comments. I am not sure exactly what they are but I am sure that they can shape shift. I have seen shadows the size of a mouse, a cat, a dog, a child, an adult and a giant one. That was the only canine spirit thing that I've seen.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-01)
Note: some new photos provided by the author have been published đź“·
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-06)
I have no theories as to what it was, only that I heard what sounded like claws hitting the floor boards.

I've seen a shadow dart across the wall in front of our door when I have been sitting at the table. Those I've seen at the door were human shaped and tall, not low to the ground and small like the other one I saw in the hall.

My resolve is that it is perfectly fine in the hall but if it ever comes into our room then I will have a problem.
jwarren (1 stories) (23 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-30)
I think it is interesting that you mentioned the possibility of an entity "pretending" to be a canine, do you have any particular theories on that?

My first thought was that a "ghost dog" would not be altogether unpleasant, but that doesn't seem to jive with the feeling of dread that seems to proceed it.

Thank you for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: