You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House In Coburg

Real Ghost Stories

The House In Coburg

 

My family moved to Coburg, a suburb of Melbourne, when I was five years old.

My bedroom was a old dining room. My sisters shared one of the front rooms, my parents in the other front room.

The first night, I watched a lady with no feet, glide into my bedroom, slowly fade until it reached the cupboard and then disappear. I was frightened but after a minute of no sound coming out of my mouth, I finally got the courage to yell out to my patents.

My dad came in and I told him what I saw. He ressured me that there was no such thing as ghosts. From then on, I knew I was on my own. He told me not to worry and go back to sleep. I slept with my back to the door.

The next night, I forgot about sleeping with my back to the door. I watched this thing come into my bedroom, taking its usual path at least seven times, until I fell asleep.

Over the nights I got used to it and was quite fascinated with what ghosts actually were. I watched it come into my room night after night, still frightened somewhat but no use in telling my dad. As he said, ghosts don't exist.

One night, just after my dad closed my parents' bedroom door, I saw a white flash shoot across my bedroom door. I wasn't in the mood tonight, so I faced towards the wall so I couldn't see any ghostly happenings. That was when I noticed a light coming from nowhere. I sat up and tried to work it out but couldn't. I lied back down and looked at the light on the wall. It was like a perfect circle, bright as a small torch. That's when a shadow blocked some of the light. It looked like a robot with skinny arms reaching out to me. It opened its mouth to reveal square shaped teeth and I assumed it was trying to hurt me. After a minute I finally got the sound out of my mouth to yell out to my dad. I shouted over and over. Dad came in. Same story, he just said it was my imagination. I was definitely on my own.

The next day my dad thought it would be good to get me a nightlight. Big mistake but at least he tried to help. That night the nightlight went on. I faced the door that night in absolute fear. With the nightlight, I could see the ghost lady much much clearer, which scared the crap out of me. I turned to the wall but then I was tapped on the back twice. I looked and there she was right next to me. I couldn't yell, so I just pulled the blankets over my head and faced the wall. I tried to think nice thoughts so I said, 'Flowers flowers, pretty flowers' over and over in my head until I went to sleep. I never slept with the nightlight again, I took it out of the plug.

I still saw the lady in my room every night I faced the door. This happened for years until we moved out when I was eight.

I have more stories coming. What my sisters experienced in the same house and also about the red door out the back of the property.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pisces_Boy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pisces_Boy (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-02)
Melda, my bedroom was actually a dining room. I'm not sure whether it was previously used as a bedroom. There were two official bedrooms at the front of the house.

I think its just awful that the daughter was not told of her mothers death. I guess that's how they treated people with mental disabilities in those days which is quite sad.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-02)
Pisces_Boy - Your last comment puts a different twist on your experience. It could be that the ghost lady was waiting for her daughter to return from the mental asylum. Perhaps you were sleeping in her daughter's room. Just something to consider.

I think it's very cruel that the daughter was not informed of her mother's death.

Regards, Melda
Pisces_Boy (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-02)
Jubeele, when I think back, I believe the flash of light could have been a light from my parents room reflecting and refracting through a glass panel in the hallway.

I didn't know the shadow was the ghost lady, I just couldn't work out where it was coming from.

I did not get a look at her face because as soon as she came into my room I tried not to look at her too much as I was fearful the thing would attack me. When she tapped me on the back I just didn't want to know, so I pulled the blankets right over me and thought nice thoughts while willing her to go away in my mind.

She didn't do anything else to me other than glide into my bedroom every night. No the cupboard was not always there it was a freestanding cupboard that we owned. When we moved out we gave it to my niece.

Later on we did find out that the woman did die in the house as her relative, who recently was released from a mental asylum, came to find her. The mental hospital did not tell her that her mother had died.
Pisces_Boy (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-02)
L_Melb, I guess being a little boy and at first never seeing such a thing brought on my fear. After hearing my parents tell me there's no such things as ghosts increased the fear. I thought that it could harm me in some way.
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-05-28)
Hi Pisces_Boy,
I'm live in Preston so not too far from Coburg. I must say I'm really curious about what you found so frightening about the lady when you got a closer look. Seems like there was a lot going on in that house!
Jubeele (26 stories) (896 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-05-19)
Hello from Australia, Pisces_Boy. I remember Coburg as the site of Pentridge Prison, which was closed in 1997. It was where the last woman was executed in Australia, during 1951.
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Pentridge

I'm grateful that my own parents listened and took note of my night terrors as a little girl, which really helped to comfort me. It is a sad regret that you felt alone in trying to deal with your fears as a child. Whether or not there was any ghost, your fear was very real and you needed to feel protected, especially when you were only five. 😢

The thought did occur to me that the "white flash" across your bedroom door, shaped like a "perfect circle", could perhaps be from a torch. Is there a possibility that your sisters or someone else in the house played a rather mean trick on you at the time? Like shining a torch into your room and playing "shadow puppets"? Personally, I always prefer a mundane, logical explanation than a paranormal one - I'm easily spooked! 😲

How did you know the shadow blocking the night light was the "ghost lady" and not some other entity? Did you see her face clear enough to describe her in more detail?

After she tapped you twice on the back to get your attention, did she make any threatening gestures that you felt compelled to run for the hills? I'm curious to know if the ghost lady said or did anything different in the following three years when you saw her every night. Did she still "glide into my bedroom, slowly fade until it reached the cupboard and then disappear"?

If she followed the same routine, then I wonder if the woman gliding into your cupboard could be a residual shade with some limited interactive ability, retracing her steps. Was the cupboard always there or was there a connecting entry to another part of the house? It could be interesting to find out more about the history of the place. Could the ghost lady be trying to tell you something about herself? "This is where I hid the family silver..."

I hope by asking these questions, the memory of your childhood fear can be transformed into an intriguing mystery instead. I look forward to hearing more about your sisters' experiences and that red door. Be at Peace. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: